Shall I swap my Noctilux f1 for a 50mm APO?

M10Alpine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I never had that experience with my f/1 Noctilux.  The 90/2 APO is another issue; DOF at f/2 is even thinner than the Noctilux at f/1 and it has been a challenge.

As Mike points out, the 50 APO lens is readily available; however the 50/1 Noctilux is harder to find on the used market if you want a mint copy.  I have to agree with Mike and others who have said they will never part with their f/1 Noctilux.  While the 0.95 ASPH Noctilux does offer technical improvements over its predecessor, they are incremental and produce a more clinical result compared to the more artistic rendering of the f/1.

JMHO but the f/1 Noctilux produces a magic at f/1 that its newer 0.95 sibling cannot.  The good Dr. Mandler was truly a prodigy in terms of his lens designs, but he really nailed the jello to the wall with the f/1 Noctilux.

I like this ---- nailing jello to the wall  -----

Over and over again I hear the 50/1 Noctilux is the one.

• Like 1

The seperation is amazing. Really pops although initially i thought it kind of has too much pop like it was photoshoped into the background.

The 75 noctilux’s weight and size are its largest drawback. But it is optically a masterpiece, and the only 75 mm lens I own, so I accept the trade offs. As was pointed out, the few fortunate enough to have this new lens are self-selected by virtue of having to had sign up for the waiting list long ago and by its non-trivial cost to know what they are getting into. Plus there is likely some buyer’s bias as well. All that said, it is optically stunning— as well corrected and free from nearly all aberration at f/1.25 as the 50 APO at f/2. But man, is it big and heavy!

Some weeks ago I finally got a Noctilux f/1.0, which I've been dreaming about for years. And I couldn't be more happy. It was much smaller, lighter and easier to focus than I feared. It has been glued to my camera since I got it. I just made a Spark page with some example shots:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/3k5IUAYESGxkI/

• Like 10

Some weeks ago I finally got a Noctilux f/1.0, which I've been dreaming about for years. And I couldn't be more happy. It was much smaller, lighter and easier to focus than I feared. It has been glued to my camera since I got it. I just made a Spark page with some example shots:

Stunning set of images!

• Like 1

LHSA 50 mm APO on Monochrom M246

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

skater75, isn't  posts of the same picture in three threads alittle excessive? The post is totally iirelevent to two of the threads which are discussions, not vanity displays.

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 2

It seems to me it would depend on how often you shoot at f1.  I have purchased the Nokton 50f1.1 and 35f1.2 thinking I really needed fast glass but guess what.  I find myself using my 35 and 50 Summicrons more by at least a factor of ten.  The Summicrons are smaller, much lighter and probably sharper.  And I find I really don't go to many dark bars or jazz clubs so the f1 or f1.2 is really irrelevant.  And for my type of photography, selective focus is pretty much a non starter.

Have never used the 50 APO so will not comment on that.  Why not get the regular 50 Summicron and use the extra $8000 or so for travel or ???.  Only you can decide but owning seven M mount lenses, I find I use a 35,50, and 90 for 95% and as I have already said, not the super fast ones.  I may sell ones shorter then 35, longer then 90, and faster then f2.8.  

To me, Leica photography is using a small camera with small lenses.  If I wanted big or complicated, there is always Nikon or Canon.

Edited by ktmrider2

It’s your call but no way I sell my Nocti. I have the Summilux and Summicron 50s and love both. I use the Summilux most of the time (the cron was my first Leica 50).

The APO 50 doesn’t seem to do it for me.

• 5 months later...

I kept my Noctilux f1 - I love it after a dedicated trip this May where I mainly used the Noctilulx as someone suggest to really get to know it. I have now been fortune enough to add the Summicron 50mm APO to my "team" of M lenses so I guess I as happy as one can be. I now feel like I should sell my Summilux 50mm I can't really hav all three, but the 50mm Summilux is probably my all time favorite Leica lens. I'm yet again feeling conflicted... 

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, evikne said:

phenomenal images of family! 

35 minutes ago, evikne said:

All versions should be optically identical. The biggest difference is in fact the lens hood (bayonet, clip-on or built-in).

Thanks... which version is the most recent??

Edited by Donzo98