Shall I swap my Noctilux f1 for a 50mm APO?

M10Alpine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All - ok 

First world problem. Pathetically I can't make up my mind if I like the Noctilux - I will be the first to admit that I haven't had enough time to get used to it properly. The main reason I haven't shoot that much with it is that I travel a lot and I tend not to bring it as I travel in remote areas. This might be the answer I'm looking for. On the other hand as I have the Lux 50 - I got the Noctilux as its a very different lens and I figured the APO and the LUX was kind of more similar. Now to make this even more complicated I have the chrome 50mm Lux and thats a lot of weight... I truly love the LUX 50mm. 

Suggestions on what consolidation efforts I should conceder? 

I have all these, and a few other 50s.

These lenses are chalk and cheese. They are complementary to each other.

The 1.0/50 Noctilux is big and heavy and focuses slowly and has some focus shift. For all it's optical abberations it beautifully 'paints' photographs. People who know little about photography always comment about photographs shot with this lens.

The 2.0/50 APO-Summicron, on the other hand, is a modern higher-contrast lens that accurately portrays what it sees - a bit like looking through a pane of glass at the subject rather than through a lens.

The 1.4/50 Summilux sits in between these. It renders closer to the APO-Summicron than the Noctilux.

You should only replace the Noctilux with the APO-50 if you do not like the renedering of the Noctilux.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 6

You already know the answer. You travel extensively yet both 50s sit at home because of the excessive heft.

Valuable paperweights.

BTW, a 50 Elmar M doesn't cost a lot and will solve your travel/weight problem. Sell one, buy the Elmar and pocket the rest.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 6

It seems to me that weight is your primary concern. And you like the Summilux.

How about selling both lenses and getting a black Summilux?

Or the Elmar, as suggested by James, as long as you don't need the speed.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@M10Alpine,  here is my take on your situation -

I can't make up my mind if I like the Noctilux - I will be the first to admit that I haven't had enough time to get used to it properly. The main reason I haven't shoot that much with it is that I travel a lot and I tend not to bring it as I travel in remote areas.

Get well acquainted with your f/1.0 Noctilux before you go trading it away - if you trade it without doing so, you will most likely come to regret it as time goes by.  I have read dozens of posts on this forum of people bemoaning an ill advised or knee jerk reaction trade or sale of a lens.  It's best to avoid this pitfall from the beginning.  I would recommend that you shoot regularly with your Noctilux in your home area for 3-4 months; spend time scrutinizing your images, then rethink the keep or trade question after you have had time to think it through.

The 50/2 APO and 50/1.4 ASPH are different, but have much more in common in the way they render than either lens does compared to the Noctilux.  Both these lenses are worlds different from the 50/1.0 and it seems to me that as you already have the 50 Summilux, acquiring the 50/2 APO would be somewhat redundant.  JMHO though as the 50 APO has its passionate disciples who would think me barking mad for saying such a thing.

As for traveling with the Noctilux - yes, it is a heavy lens but I say take it anyway.  I have images from inside Buddhist monasteries and temples in Mongolia that I would not have if I had left my Noctilux at home and I am forever grateful that I had the good sense to bring it with me, regardless of its weight. 

If you really want a light 50mm lens for an all-around 50, I would recommend that you take a hard look at the non-APO 50 Summicron as well as the 50/2.4 Summarit ASPH which is very well liked by many M camera shooters.  The 50 Summarit would be a great lens for situations where the Noctilux is really just too heavy (such as climbing the Matterhorn and similar weight sensitive endeavors).

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You already know the answer. You travel extensively yet both 50s sit at home because of the excessive heft.

Valuable paperweights.

BTW, a 50 Elmar M doesn't cost a lot and will solve your travel/weight problem. Sell one, buy the Elmar and pocket the rest.

I can only totally agree. The difference in IQ between the Elmar and the APO will not be seen above 2.8. Side by side tests have been shown on this forum where the Summilux was also involved which proved that.

Alternatively, keep  the  Noctilux F1,  replace the Lux with the APO50.

I have both APO50 and a heavy silver LHSA Summilux-M ASPH 50mm, and always take the APO50 for my travels (heading to Shanghai tonight).

• Like 2

@M10Alpine,  here is my take on your situation -

Get well acquainted with your f/1.0 Noctilux before you go trading it away - if you trade it without doing so, you will most likely come to regret it as time goes by.  I have read dozens of posts on this forum of people bemoaning an ill advised or knee jerk reaction trade or sale of a lens.  It's best to avoid this pitfall from the beginning.  I would recommend that you shoot regularly with your Noctilux in your home area for 3-4 months; spend time scrutinizing your images, then rethink the keep or trade question after you have had time to think it through.

The 50/2 APO and 50/1.4 ASPH are different, but have much more in common in the way they render than either lens does compared to the Noctilux.  Both these lenses are worlds different from the 50/1.0 and it seems to me that as you already have the 50 Summilux, acquiring the 50/2 APO would be somewhat redundant.  JMHO though as the 50 APO has its passionate disciples who would think me barking mad for saying such a thing.

As for traveling with the Noctilux - yes, it is a heavy lens but I say take it anyway.  I have images from inside Buddhist monasteries and temples in Mongolia that I would not have if I had left my Noctilux at home and I am forever grateful that I had the good sense to bring it with me, regardless of its weight. 

If you really want a light 50mm lens for an all-around 50, I would recommend that you take a hard look at the non-APO 50 Summicron as well as the 50/2.4 Summarit ASPH which is very well liked by many M camera shooters.  The 50 Summarit would be a great lens for situations where the Noctilux is really just too heavy (such as climbing the Matterhorn and similar weight sensitive endeavors).

Thanks some good advise, you are perfectly right, I need to shoot with the Noctilux for a few moths and then think it over again.

As for the LUX 50 I think I will trade it for a black.

• Like 1

The Noctilux f/1.0 is not for everyone. Its a lens for people who love extreme bokeh and the old fashioned rendering. And these will not be afraid of the size and weight and other disadvantages. If you don't really care about the unique qualities of this lens, you will probably be better served with some of the newer designs. The 50 APO is almost as different from the Noctilux you can come, in most ways.

• Like 1

The Noctilux f/1.0 is not for everyone. Its a lens for people who love extreme bokeh and the old fashioned rendering. And these will not be afraid of the size and weight and other disadvantages. If you don't really care about the unique qualities of this lens, you will probably be better served with some of the newer designs. The 50 APO is almost as different from the Noctilux you can come, in most ways.

Its not that I dislike the end result, the opposite, the pictures are truly outstanding and unique. I think its the size mostly that disturb me, but I see the romantic results so I'm ambivalent.   

• Like 1

Just to give you my thoughts:
Most of my keepers (I mean real keepers; less then images 5 per year) are made with Noctilux, not with the APO!

Consequently, ....., no it's up to you to decide :-)

Good luck

John

Edited by satijntje
  • Like 2

If you don't like/use Noctilux, sell it. No point keeping.

As for the lux, I'd keep the silver lux (I personally love the weight and the silver chrome finish). If anything add 50 Apo cron on top of 50 lux, rather than replacing the 50 lux.

Edited by Leicaec421
  • Like 1

I would never ever sell such a lens as the Noctilux.

And about the silver Summilux: I own it as well and did not know about the additional weight compared to the black model when I bought it. I would have bought the black one today. But now when walking around with that silver lens on the M10 when the camera hangs on my shoulder or around the neck I do not feel the weight of that lens. For me its all about the Leica body that is so easy to carry as it falls so nicely. I barely feel that the camera is with me.

My suggestion: Kepp the silver Summicron and walk barefoot leaving socks and shoes at home. That will make up for the difference in weight. An other alternative to that suggestion is to wear short pants instead of long ones. There are many ways on how to spare that little bit of additional weight. But keep your silver lens. In practice when carrying the camera plus lens the weight is irrelevant to me. Its all about how it feels.

By the way I still wear long pants and socks and shoes and I enjoy carrying the M10. Compared to the Canon 5D MK IV with the 24-70mm its totally different. Yes the Canon is heavier but besides the 24-70mm I need no other lens to take along whereas with Leica I have very often a second or even a third lens. These additional lenses are then in the ONA bag which is another 1kg. And still this is no problem TO MEEEEE. On the other hand the front of the Canon hangs down and it swings back and forth when walking which is very uncomfortable. This inconvenience I would not like to have back any more. For me its not so much about the weight but how you can carry that thing.

Edited by Alex U.
  • Like 2

Bring the photographer, not the lens. And this is true in many aspects!

The Noctilux is unique, the look is stunning, and in the right hands, it can create extraordinary portraits!

But, and you can apply nearly the same to me, if you mainly capture moments while travelling, and the size / weight just does not feel right to you, there is no other possibility then selling the lens.

Why should you keep a lens for years without using it. Some other person may be much happier with this lens. Sell it and keep the money. Maybe you can invest in a whole other lens some time in the future...or wait for a new body.

I won't comment on Lux 50 vs APO 50. This is another discussion. But if you don't use a lens, because it feels too heavy for you, the answer is very clear, at least for me!

The best lens is not the best in terms of technical specifications, character and feeling - but the one you take when going on an adventure!

Edited by BJohn
  • Like 2

This just occurred to me - for many, the weight of the 50 Noctilux is a problem.  I have yet to read  or hear any comments lamenting the weight of the 75 Noctilux from actual users, which is heavier still than its 50mm brethren.

I wonder why that is?

• Like 1

They

This just occurred to me - for many, the weight of the 50 Noctilux is a problem.  I have yet to read  or hear any comments lamenting the weight of the 75 Noctilux from actual users, which is heavier still than its 50mm brethren.

I wonder why that is?

they are a self-selecting population.

• Like 2

Simple enough at this point. If you have to ask the question, then it is far too early to make a change. You need to use your lenses enough to be fully acquainted with them and their characteristics...then you can judge whether or not to make a swap, based on empirical personal evidence.