Need a lens for closer focusing

fire2368

I like this Micro-Nikkor 55mm 2,8. Without an EVF I mostly use it with a tripod. I guess it will work very well with an EVF.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

2. Visoflex lenses (Elmar-V 1:3.5/65 or the lens-head of the 1:2.8/90mm Elmarit - first version) together with either a Visoflex III housing from which you screw off the lever and lock the mirror in upside position, or a Novoflex LEM/VIS-Adapter (not very genially built), or best but not so easy to find a TXBOO/14024-Adapter. For all adapting devices you need a 16464 focussing mount and a 16471 extension ring for close-ups between the focussing mount and the lens.  Even if the combinations sound complicated, they do not add much weight and work perfectly;  the results from the old lenses - especially the 90mm Elmarits lens head are very good. With some luck you find the whole combination for 1/5th of the price for the Macro-Elmar-M with Adapter.

I also prefer this solution:

40402625874_7a3560c77a_b.jpgLeica M by Dirk Raffel, auf Flickr

41079193132_beb41913da_b.jpgLeica M Macro by Dirk Raffel, auf Flickr

• Like 1

I also prefer this solution:

40402625874_7a3560c77a_b.jpgLeica M by Dirk Raffel, auf Flickr

41079193132_beb41913da_b.jpgLeica M Macro by Dirk Raffel, auf Flickr

I do not. A Micro-Nikkor 55mm is much easier to use, and cheaper. I like Visoflex, they are fun to use, but not for taking pictures in a hurry.

• Like 4

What minimum focus distance will the 50 cron plus oufro deliver.

I think it's the same as with my note:

OUFRO (1cm M ring ) plus Summilux 50mm these figures, here.

- infinity focus distance from lens front 28cm and field of 18cm in large side

- focus lens to 70cm distance from lens front 19cm and cover field of 12cm on large size.

if OUFRO and 50mm lens...

in this use for food photos, it's very limiting to 12-18cm large objects.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just another bit of input from reading through and talking to people. The issue with using the Oufro is that it limits the infinity focus of the lens (or any macro ring), therefore for food shots, it stops you taking a picture of the full plate.

Although you can remove the oufro for that shot then put it back on for another close up, the work flow is quite clunky. This is why I'm heavily considering the macro switar or other lenses that allow for a closer focus naturally. If you have any recommendations for lenses that can focus closely around the 35/50mm focal length with f2 or greater (that isn't too big), please recommend. If size wasn't an issue, I'd probably go for the Zeiss 50mm Makro-Planar in Nikon mount. 

I don't doubt that using a 90mm macro would work best if your intention is to specifically only take close up shots. 

Because its not a micro-Nikkor - a 35mm at a guess.

Haha. Sorry about that. I used an old picture from my mobile telephone. Borrowed a box full of similar looking Nikkors, and when I found this picture I thought it looked like a 55mm. Of course it is not.

Here is a picture of the 55mm, the only one I have left (the others where not very good/interesting). Using M8 with Visoflex and 135mm Tele-Elmar.

• Like 1

And here is one taken with the 55mm. Much easier and faster.

Just another bit of input from reading through and talking to people. The issue with using the Oufro is that it limits the infinity focus of the lens (or any macro ring), therefore for food shots, it stops you taking a picture of the full plate.

Although you can remove the oufro for that shot then put it back on for another close up, the work flow is quite clunky. This is why I'm heavily considering the macro switar or other lenses that allow for a closer focus naturally. If you have any recommendations for lenses that can focus closely around the 35/50mm focal length with f2 or greater (that isn't too big), please recommend. If size wasn't an issue, I'd probably go for the Zeiss 50mm Makro-Planar in Nikon mount. 

I don't doubt that using a 90mm macro would work best if your intention is to specifically only take close up shots. 

If you use the oufro with the 50mm Elmar-m, you can slightly collapse it for more focusing range.

You can have the lens fully extended on the oufro to get very close, or collapse it slightly and go all the way to infinity with the oufro still on. 

Or mount an Elmar-M 50/2.8 fully collapsed on the Macro Adapter M. This way you can focus from 0.2m to 2m more or less with the focus ring of the adapter but you'll have to remove the latter to focus normally from 0.7m to infinity. Here indoor at about 0.2m and f/5.6 on the CL (3200 iso, 1/30s, handheld - full size: https://tinyurl.com/y98333x9). No M on hand sorry but this combo works the same way on my M240 with a wider FoV of course. BTW larger apertures than f/2.8 are of little help on closeups due to the thin DoF there.

i-47vQ62n-L.jpg
  • Like 4

• 5 years later...
On 5/5/2018 at 5:39 AM, michaelcole said:

If you use the oufro with the 50mm Elmar-m, you can slightly collapse it for more focusing range.

You can have the lens fully extended on the oufro to get very close, or collapse it slightly and go all the way to infinity with the oufro still on. 

what a great idea - just tried it with my 1933 Elmar 50 & an OUFRO on my M10

Since you’re using evf inverting lens works as crude macro device with some lenses. I’ve just checked it’s not working on my color skopar 50, but is working on canon 50/1.2 probably has something  to do with lens type, the other trick I’ve used and like is unscrewing ltm lens from the m adapter. These are not safe or proper techniques, but sometimes you just leave your home without bellows and have to improvise.  Normally I’d rather use bellows, macro adapters or diopters just to be on the safe side. 

On 5/1/2018 at 8:11 AM, fire2368 said:

Hi all, 

I know that the m10 was not made to do everything; from everyone I've asked they've just asked me to get another camera. I've purposely bought the m10 from selling my SL to have a smaller camera. I'm hoping to be able to do everything I need on just the m10 as the SL could do everything.

The issue I've got is that I use my camera for closer focusing work all the time, and this mainly is for food blogging and being able to take table shots in restaurants. The difficulty is that I need to be able to focus closer than 0.5m, use a lens thats 50mm or wider (easier to frame what's on the table) and will be in low light situations a lot, so I need a larger aperture. I carry my EVF 90% of the time in my bag, so adaptable lens would work, as long as they're not a super large lens. Ideally, the closer the focusing the better and the closer to 35/50mm the better. 

I've done a lot of research on this, and the lens I keep coming back to is the ALPA/KERN Macro Switar 50mm f1.9. I've also explored the macro adapter situation, but it doesn't work to well for me as the infinity is brought down to like 20cm. 

I'm sure there's others in the same boat, let me know if you have any solutions or lenses in mind!

Any Marco lens with proper setup and suitable adapter would be fine in you case.

• LEICA APO-MACRO-ELMARIT-R 100(60) mm/2.8--heavy, with outstanding image quality, R-Mount
  • Carl Zeiss Planar 100 mm/ S-Planar 60 mm AEG--less heavy  and outstanding image quality as well, C/Y mount
  • Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-H.C. 50mm F2--weight at around 7.8 oz./220g, 1.5'/0.45 meter close focus, 52mm filter, and the best things about this lens is easy to mount on Barnack and Leica M Body(with adapter), Leica Thread Mount, L39
  • Yashica ML 55mm F2.8 Marco, probably the cheapest solution in the class, comes with high fidelity image quality, 1:2 at the closest focus distance down to 25cm, C/Y mount
  • There're more options base on the Marco-tail lenses for you indeed
Edited by Erato

• 2 weeks later...

For food photographs, nothing beats an iPhone. The latest iPhone 15 costs less than 1500, has a great lens, hugely portable, does video, and is resistant to the occasional spills and smudges. 

For blogging and use on social media, it’s more than sufficient, I would think. 

• 4 weeks later...

Superfood. 135mm Apo Telyt at f3,4 - Leica M10-R