Need a lens for closer focusing

fire2368

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, 

I know that the m10 was not made to do everything; from everyone I've asked they've just asked me to get another camera. I've purposely bought the m10 from selling my SL to have a smaller camera. I'm hoping to be able to do everything I need on just the m10 as the SL could do everything.

The issue I've got is that I use my camera for closer focusing work all the time, and this mainly is for food blogging and being able to take table shots in restaurants. The difficulty is that I need to be able to focus closer than 0.5m, use a lens thats 50mm or wider (easier to frame what's on the table) and will be in low light situations a lot, so I need a larger aperture. I carry my EVF 90% of the time in my bag, so adaptable lens would work, as long as they're not a super large lens. Ideally, the closer the focusing the better and the closer to 35/50mm the better. 

I've done a lot of research on this, and the lens I keep coming back to is the ALPA/KERN Macro Switar 50mm f1.9. I've also explored the macro adapter situation, but it doesn't work to well for me as the infinity is brought down to like 20cm. 

I'm sure there's others in the same boat, let me know if you have any solutions or lenses in mind!

I use often M10 plus Visoflex 020 plus adapter and SLR macro lens.

I use those that I already own from my SLR days : Leica R 2.8/60, Apo 2.8/100, Zeiss Contax Macro 2.8/60, Olympus 3.5/50, etc.

Those work fine and M10 can even be used with "advanced metering" :p.

If 1:2 is enough for your planned project, 50/60 macro ... plenty choices in second hand.

In your shoes, I'd go for Macro-Elmarit-R 2.8/60 or why not Zuiko Macro 3.5/50 that is very small and great IQ.

See in Wiki : https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/60mm_f/2.8_Macro-Elmarit-R

More infos, here for Olympus Zuiko Macro 3.5/50 which has floating element like more modern lenses:

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/macro-lens-50-35.html

I use also old manual focus Micro-Nikkor in 3.5/55mm and 4/105mm .

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

I know that the m10 was not made to do everything; from everyone I've asked they've just asked me to get another camera.

From your description of what you are using your camera for they are correct. The M10 is both overkill and unsuitable for what you say you are trying to use it for. Just buy a smaller cheaper camera (Sony A6000 would be much more than adequate) and keep the M10 for other photography that its better suited for.

...I use my camera for closer focusing work all the time, and this mainly is for food blogging and being able to take table shots in restaurants.

I had a rude awakening when I took my 90mm to a restaurant and tried to take a portrait of the person sitting across the table from me. That was the last time I tried to use my Leica for close-up work.

If I were forced to use my M10 for taking photos of plates of food in restaurants, I would use a Nikon to Leica adapter and mount my 55mm f/3.5 Nikon macro lens, my 105mm f/2.8 Nikon macro lens, or my Lester A. Dine 105mm f/2.8 macro lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Besides using one of the Macro-Elmarit-R-lenses with an R-to-M-adapter and Liveview there are two more solutions if you want to stay with Leica-gear:

1. the new version of the 1:4/90mm Macro-Elmar M with the Macro-Adapter-M. It gives you a ratio of 1:2 with largest extension of the adapter , but you can use the lens as well up to infinity when you leave it collapsed. The downside is the price which is even high when you are used to M prices.

2. Visoflex lenses (Elmar-V 1:3.5/65 or the lens-head of the 1:2.8/90mm Elmarit - first version) together with either a Visoflex III housing from which you screw off the lever and lock the mirror in upside position, or a Novoflex LEM/VIS-Adapter (not very genially built), or best but not so easy to find a TXBOO/14024-Adapter. For all adapting devices you need a 16464 focussing mount and a 16471 extension ring for close-ups between the focussing mount and the lens.  Even if the combinations sound complicated, they do not add much weight and work perfectly;  the results from the old lenses - especially the 90mm Elmarits lens head are very good. With some luck you find the whole combination for 1/5th of the price for the Macro-Elmar-M with Adapter.

Use an Olympus TG5, you can wipe the wine splashes away or if you drop it into your 'egg plant crumble served with seasonal water' you won't scream 'omg my Leica!'

Seriously, an M10 has to be the worst choice ever. Maybe it's just my idea of what I'd expect to see on a food blog, but it would be consistently and evenly lit food so all restaurants are treated fairly and with the same standard of photography. So lighting is the issue, meaning a camera with a built in flash or able to take a ring light or ring flash, fast auto focus or the ice cream will melt, and small form factor so the rest of the restaurant can eat in peace. Ok you could stick a flash on your M10, and them waiver about focusing on a close object (far harder than something feet away), and possibly in low light unless you ask if you can take your plate into the rest room, but I can't see how it all isn't going to be intrusive and difficult to use as a setup.  

Edited by 250swb

The op wants to use a Leica. I totally get that. I would also recommend :

the new version of the 1:f4/90mm Macro-Elmar M with the Macro-Adapter-M. It gives you a ratio of 1:2 with largest extension of the adapter

I face this issue all the time since my wife is a sommelier and food writer. I finally just gave her a Fuji X-E2 with the 18-55 kit lens (which is very, very good) and we are both much happier.

I love my M10 but it’s the wrong tool for the job, IMHO.

• Like 3

I guess the macro switar is a good option.

Option - yes. Its potentially an interesting lens. Good option - errr NO - I think that on balance it should be obvious from the above responses in which the macro switar was not considered once, that its not thought of as a good option for your task. :wacko:

I don't know of any Leica solution to focus all the way M lenses from 0.5m or closer to infinity. If you want to use your M lenses, the only solution i know of is a Sony A7 + close focus adapter. I use that combo with all my M lenses including Leica 50/1.4, 50/2, 50/2.5 and 50/2.8. FWIW.

Ive already got the visoflex so i was open to buying dslr lenses. But theyre all so big. I guess the macro switar is a good option. Thanks all

Another route is like others members said: Close-up lens with your 50mm.

I've try Elpro 3 with thread adapter 46mm to 55mm , with my Summilux 50mm and the results are not so bad if limiting in near focus only.

For food photos, must close down anyway to have depth of field.

If you had gone to the link I provided post #3 : Olympus Macro-Zuiko 3.5/50 is tiny for a macro lens:

Weighting 200g ... much lighter than my Summicron DR

Minimum length 40 mm, 1.6 in Maximum diameter 61 mm, 2.4 in
Edited by a.noctilux

I use often M10 plus Visoflex 020 plus adapter and SLR macro lens.

I use those that I already own from my SLR days : Leica R 2.8/60, Apo 2.8/100, Zeiss Contax Macro 2.8/60, Olympus 3.5/50, etc.

Those work fine and M10 can even be used with "advanced metering" :p.

If 1:2 is enough for your planned project, 50/60 macro ... plenty choices in second hand.

In your shoes, I'd go for Macro-Elmarit-R 2.8/60 or why not Zuiko Macro 3.5/50 that is very small and great IQ.

See in Wiki : https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/60mm_f/2.8_Macro-Elmarit-R

More infos, here for Olympus Zuiko Macro 3.5/50 which has floating element like more modern lenses:

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/macro-lens-50-35.html

I use also old manual focus Micro-Nikkor in 3.5/55mm and 4/105mm .

I find this thread useful. I’ve followed up on the recommendations but I’m confused about which version of the Olympus Zuiko. Do I assume the OM version and not MFT . What format is Olympus OM. I’ll be using an M10, plus adaptor. Sorry if I’m appearing dim!

Edited by lucerne