Manual Everything?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've recently gone back to using my DL 109 with everything set to manual control: shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and focusing.

How many of you are "All Manual" users?

How easy do you find using the camera this way?

Any specific issues you face when in "All Manual"?

MTIA!

I don't, I tend to shoot aperture priority with auto ISO and use the exposure compensation dial to fine tune exposure.

I still shoot a lot of film using 100% manual cameras so I am used to not having any automation, but when it is available to me I will use it, as long as it works well, and on the 109 it works very well.

Edited by mikemgb

Nobody??? No one here uses their DL109 "All Manual"?

Better "all manual" for me is auto iso in manual mode. Allows to choose both apertures and shutter speeds while the camera adjusts isos the way i want it by half pressing the shutter release. Fast, accurate, best invention besides sliced bred since the roman empire :D;). Works as well on my Lx100 as on my APS and FF bodies.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On my Digilux 2 I always go 100% manual, mostly for the challenge in it. It makes you think a bit more about the composition before you actually take the shot.

I only use this camera for special occasions when I'm in the mood for it.

For my typical shooting, with other cameras, I'm usually in A-mode.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm struggling with shooting "All Manual" with this camera, though I've happily done it with former cameras like a pair of film Canon F1's. I'm all "fingers and thumbs" with the camera feeling small. I can't roll the focusing ring easily and my adjusting the aperture ring seems clumsy also. I switched off Auto ISO as that just made things harder for me than easier. All of this is making me wonder whether I just need to keep practicing, or consider another camera...

I do,

But manual *everything* not really ... only occasionally do I use MF (misty, macro ...)

Using Aperture or Shutter the Leica (& Fuji) way is why I got this camera in the first place.

The 109 can, however, be used in Auto and deliver great results (I tested this too 4 years ago when I got it). 

But, IMHO, what is at least as important for the 109 is to shoot RAW (RWL) and develop everything yourself.

My 'workflow' comes down to 90 % manual intervention I guess ... that's what I love about (this) Leica !

Sincere regards,

Stefaan

I shoot RAW and use Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro to experiment a bit more with images one at a time - all good fun - it's the physical handling of the camera when shooting all manual that's more difficult.

Edited by Le Chef