Stuck release handle on ball head 14119

GRBrown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The release handle is stuck on a used ball head Leica 14119 that I found. The ball and tripod head rotate freely. 

Does anyone have suggestions about how to unstick the handle?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello GRBrown,

Welcome to the Forum.

You might try to disassemble the entire ball head. Making sure to use a properly fitting: Not too small & not too big screwdriver. Wipe it nice & clean & then reassemble it WITHOUT ANY LUBRICANTS ANYWHERE.

It should then properly work with no problems. More or less forever.

By the way, these Leitz/Leica ballheads, whether the smaller 1's or the larger siblings, do not need to be tightened too much to grab on really tightly. Just snugging it up & then a little more will most likely hold most camera & lens combinations perfectly well.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I'd try this...

Warm the body of the ballhead, without warming the release "butterfly".

As soon as it is warm-hot, cool the butterfly with an ice cube...rotating anticlockwise, of course.

Differential shrinkage-expansion should work. Try again if it doesn't work.

If you have to use multigrips as a last resort, cover the jaws with soft leather or vinyl, to avoid damage.

Good luck...let us know.

Hello David,

Given that the ball is free as well as the platform being free: I don't think that the solution is opening it further.

Instead: It may well simply be stuck open.

This is why I suggested disassembly without regard to whether it is open or locked.

Once it is apart, then, after cleaning: Proper reassembly WITHOUT ANY LUBRICANTS ANYWHERE will probably fix whatever is wrong.

Best Regards,

Michael

That's true Michael...so using my heating-cooling method, need to screw to tighten ie clockwise, not anticlockwise.

Can they be dissembled?

I'm suspecting corrosion in the screw. If dissembly is possible perhaps some penetrating oil might help.

Hello David,

These are well made units that can often put up with  a significant amount of abuse & still operate well.

they disassemble easily in most instances.

Less is better sometimes. I don't think that solvents & the like are necessary in a lot of situations like this. 

better to try without first.

This is not a big, heavy car travelling down a bumpy road. This is a fine instrument in a small package.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Michael,

I don't see any slots for a straight-blade or phillips-head screwdriver to fit. You suggested: "Making sure to use a properly fitting: Not too small & not too big screwdriver." Are you suggesting using a screwdriver as a pry bar?

--Gordon

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your suggestions. Using Vise Grip pliers to twist the handle back and forth freed it after several minutes. I followed up with 15 minutes of twisting the handle from full open to full closed and back. The handle now moves freely and smoothly.

--Gordon

• Like 3