HELP - 35 SUMMICRON

Goodman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody, I'm texting cause I need your help and wisdom. 

I've noticed that on my Summicron 35mm f2 (made Canada) when I turn the focus ring to the closest distance possible the ring doesn't stop exactly at 0,7m but goes beyond, while instead when turned to the farther distance possible it perfectly stops at infinte symbol.

I wonder if this could affect the focusing. Is it normal and common on every Cron? 

Thanks to all of those who will help me :))

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My 50 Summilux does this same thing and I have been wondering about why this is for a bit, all the other Leica lenses I have all stop at the correct distance symbol..

Focus is totally fine on my 50, just starting to worry that this might be something that will get worse (aka looser) over time and eventually become a real problem. 

Yes, and? What is the problem? 0.7 m is the approximate minimum rangefinder distance. 1 meter on some cameras.

I don't know if is it a problem, thats why I asked here. I wondered this 'cause 0,7 - Infinite is the focus scale and just don't understand why the focus ring doesn't stop at 0,7 as it does at infinite. knowing that its impossible to focus closer than 0,7.

• Like 1

Most of my Leica lenses move a bit past the 0.7 mark at closest focus. Depending on the body adjustment the RF may or may not track all the way to that point - most M3 will stop tracking a about 1 meter, just be aware when that happens.

I've noticed that on my Summicron 35mm f2 (made Canada) when I turn the focus ring to the closest distance possible the ring doesn't stop exactly at 0,7m but goes beyond, while instead when turned to the farther distance possible it perfectly stops at infinte symbol.

I wonder if this could affect the focusing. Is it normal and common on every Cron? 

Mine does exactly the same thing even I didn't even realize it until now! It shouldn't affect the performance. 

My 50 Summilux does this same thing and I have been wondering about why this is for a bit, all the other Leica lenses I have all stop at the correct distance symbol..

Focus is totally fine on my 50, just starting to worry that this might be something that will get worse (aka looser) over time and eventually become a real problem. 

Don't worry, it's normal that the minimum distance marking can pass or not depending on the real focal length of the lens: 50.0mm, 52.2mm, 51.9mm or whatever.

From 50mm onward, the small number near infinity mark tell the measured focal length.

In the examples number would be "00", "22", "19" that only 1/10 of mm in last two digits.

What's the number on your Summilux 50 ?

Edited by a.noctilux

It is normal. All 35 Summicrons focus somewhat closer to 0.65 m. The version 1, at least mine, has 0.65m engraved and actually focusses even a little bit closer. My new one has the 0.7 engraved and of course does focus a little closer.

• Like 1

Checked on my 35mm Summicron from different periods [of version I, II, IV ] :

Some focus under 0.70 marking as here.

One just stops at 0 of the 0.7 and another at "." of 0.7 .

As above, M3 Summicron 35mm with goggles has 0.65 marking but that's because the goggles transform fields of view.

Frames enlarged from 50mm to 35mm for viewing as M3 has no 35mm VF.

Those differences are normal and I've never bother with those little things.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Checked on my 35mm Summicron from different periods [of version I, II, IV ] :

Some focus under 0.70 marking as here.

One just stops at 0 of the 0.7 and another at "." of 0.7 .

As above, M3 Summicron 35mm with goggles has 0.65 marking but that's because the goggles transform fields of view.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate 

I wouldnt think its a problem at all my friend. As long as the distance scale is roughly accurate then there isnt an issue. Similarly most aperture rings go a hair beyond their Max...

[quote name="a.noctilux" post="

Hi,
The goggles have nothing to do with the distance scale, they do not change distance! Some lenses will focus closer than the closest rangefinder match. You can focus closer but it becomes a guess since the distance is beyond the rangefinder’s range. For example, my 21 mm focuses down quite a bit past the minimum shown by the rangefinder, you either guess or use an EVF on a M with that capability. Edited by Jean-Michel

Hi,

The goggles have nothing to do with the distance scale, they do not change distance! Some lenses will focus closer than the closest rangefinder match. You can focus closer but it becomes a guess since the distance is beyond the rangefinder’s range. For example, my 21 mm focuses down quite a bit past the minimum shown by the rangefinder, you either guess or use an EVF on a M with that capability.

Goggled lenses thing is fascinating but hard to differenciate them from each other :

1- Summicron DR is an example with/without goggles for two ranges of coupled rangefinder focussing

2- Summilux/Summicron/Summaron 35mm goggled for use on M3 widen the 50mm frame lines to match 35mm field (and works for other M coupled also)

3- Elmarit-M 2.8/135 that's simply a x1.4 magnifier built in

We have very interesting infos in different threads here.

A discussion on "goggles" for Summaron 35mm, and 0.65 or 0.70/1m, but can apply to Summilux 35mm and Summicron 35mm:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/94959-summaron-35mm-f28-m-lens/page-2

• 1 year later...