Buying Used M Lens - Does warranty transfer?

ronone10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All,

I'm looking to buy my first M glass. Also, looking to purchase my first Leica rangefinder, M10, before the price hike (less than two days). Leica provides 3 Year Passport Warranty on new lenses. Does this also transfer to the next owner?

I'm thinking for my first venture into Leica, I may want to buy new glass for piece of mind. On the other hand, I can save some serious cash if I buy pre-owned. A warranty would be nice. 

Ron

Ron,

You can buy really good secondhand lenses from reputable online dealers, that come with a warranty. As you say, you can save a bucket load (and buy more  :) ). I have bought all my lenses secondhand, except for my Summaron 28mm.

Edit: sorry, I realise that this doesn't answer your question, but as you mentioned buying pre-owned I thought it could help.

Edited by ianman

Hello All,

I'm looking to buy my first M glass. Also, looking to purchase my first Leica rangefinder, M10, before the price hike (less than two days). Leica provides 3 Year Passport Warranty on new lenses. Does this also transfer to the next owner?

I'm thinking for my first venture into Leica, I may want to buy new glass for piece of mind. On the other hand, I can save some serious cash if I buy pre-owned. A warranty would be nice. 

Ron

Hi,

Passport warranty is something provided by the distributor in the country the item was sold in. I understand that some (all?) have stopped offering it - the UK have stopped it recently.

I doubt that it would be transferable. Leica will honour their warranty. However as said, if you buy a used lens from a reputable dealer it should come with 3 or 6 months warranty typically.

However if you buy privately and get a good deal, the potential cost of repair for a lens is relatively small, assuming the optics are all good (best to inspect personally rather than relying on someone else to describe the condition).

Leica M lenses are fairly simple - no electronics or motors to go wrong!

This will depend on your jurisdiction ie how strong your state or country’s consumer laws are. In Australia, if you were to buy a recent or near new lens (or any product for that matter) that is still within the original warranty and the owner provides receipts from a registered Australian business then absolutely the (Australian) warranty will transfer. I’m surprised if this is not the case everywhere. This includes any promises made by the original retailer, which in this case will always be an authorised Leica dealership so it’s pretty clear what those promises are (you can just ask). To do otherwise would be like buying a new car, selling it after 1 month and the manufacturer refusing to honour its original warranty if there were serious mechanical problems. It’s plainly illegal. In Australia this can potentially go further under the provisions of implied warranty, but that’s a grey area.

The benefit of being a global brand is they can go further. I highly doubt Leica will not honour original warranties for any product that has to go to Wetzlar regardless of the current owner worldwide, but they will want or need to see this proof of purchase.

For lenses outside of original warranty periods or where the owner can’t or doesn’t provide the original receipt (reprints from the original retailer count) there are two cases: first buying privately where there are no protections; and secondly, buying used from a dealer that’s a registered Australian business where they’re obliged (in Australia) to offer you a nominal warranty, like 3-6 months.

All in all, if you can inspect the lens personally I’d have no hesitation buying in any form. If it’s a business, simply ask them. Note that many eBay users set themselves up like a business or a shop but in the case of Australia if they’re not registered and selling under the name of their registered Australian business name (check via ABN — Australian Business Number) then it’s considered a private sale. Exercise extreme caution online because, as has been demonstrated here in other threads, Leica is a target for scammers.

Sorry if that’s a little too Australia specific but I imagine the rules are similar elsewhere.

Edited by Simon

Passport isn't the same as the warranty however. It's more like an insurance policy (covers accidental damage etc.) and may not be transferable. You need to read the terms of the warranty in your particular country, as the legal requirements and terms offered to vary.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I appreciate the quick replies and the detail information. For my first Leica purchase, I am leaning toward a new lens. I definitely like the Passport benefits. Definitely an insurance policy. 

Cheers,  Ron

Edited by ronone10