Leica M is too big.

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I was in my favorite museum. For the first time in 20 years, my Leica M was to big!

It was possible to make pictures in the museum with the camera for years but now policy has changed. One can make pictures with one telephone. But not with a Leica M. 

The camera's are to big and due to people with big cameras who disturbed the other visitors and damaged the art works it is forbidden. 

A sad day , for me, for the " smal ": Leica M which has grown big without changing....

Your comments and stories please.

There are no such restrictions (yet) at my city's museum, but I have observed that the overwhelming majority of visitors use either their phone or tablet to take photos. I rarely see an actual camera, even a small point and shoot. The biggest disturbance I see comes from the many users of selfie sticks, bumping into other people as they try to frame themselves, and waving them around while walking.

• Like 2

I just wrote a letter to the Museum stating that an Iphone x and a samsung 8 in fact just as big are than a Leica M. The way you hold them is even more annoying than a Leica M because people hold the in front of them instead of close to the body. 

• Like 4

My suggestion: put on an Elmar 5cm/f3.5 and collapse it, then your M can be carried in a pocket and is really now the size of a phone from the front. I have had no trouble. Make sure the Elmar is a 'proper' one, like a red-scale or earlier as the later ones do not retract fully and still leave a noticeable protrusion. The modern Elmar-M 2.8 is particularly bad in not retracting 'properly'. 

The bonus is the lovely image quality from these original Leica lenses...

Also if your M cannot be used with the original Leica lens fully retracted, then it is time to get a 'proper' Leica, IMHO  :D

• Like 4

A ridiculous measure of this museum.

The proposal to use a collapsible Elmar is great.

Last month I took my camera to the Arena in Nürnberg for Cesar Milan (a dog whisperer).

Today there are security checks, the Arena takes 9000 people and the sitting is tight.

At the entrance a young lady refused my 6500+LB+Cron R 50, because the lens is interchangeable. 

The middle aged male at the next queue let me pass.

By the way the performance was not interesting.

• Like 2

There are some museums I've been to that ban taking pictures in all or some galleries, but that seems to be the exception. I can understand museums wanting to ban monopod/tripods, or (IMHO) the infuriating "selfie stick".

That said, I've used my Leica (and before that my Fuji X100) in many museums without a glance by anyone. I shoot no flash and the Leica or Fuji are quiet and small. I keep the camera in a small, non-camera bag when not taking pictures. 

Once I was taking pictures in the Metropolitan Museum in New York City; the guard noticed the Leica and asked if I was shooting professionally there. I told him no, these were for my own use and he smiled and said, "have fun." 

There are some museums I've been to that ban taking pictures in all or some galleries, but that seems to be the exception. I can understand museums wanting to ban monopod/tripods, or (IMHO) the infuriating "selfie stick".

That said, I've used my Leica (and before that my Fuji X100) in many museums without a glance by anyone. I shoot no flash and the Leica or Fuji are quiet and small. I keep the camera in a small, non-camera bag when not taking pictures. 

Once I was taking pictures in the Metropolitan Museum in New York City; the guard noticed the Leica and asked if I was shooting professionally there. I told him no, these were for my own use and he smiled and said, "have fun." 

Museums like to protect their postcard sales... :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Shooting with an X2. I had a guard at the Museum d Orsey make me delete a photo from a series I took . He got off his chair walked up steps and asked to see what I had shot.
I chalked it up to me not knowing the French laws to shooting in pubic places......it was a strange experience. The guard was very nice and the experience was non confrontational.

I suspect he objected  to being in the corner of one of my photos .......with the language barrier I can't  be sure.
I did not stop taking photos, after that one encounter he didn't seem to care.

I agree with Jaapv ....postcard sales and rights...... The older I get the less restrictions bother me.

If I'm restricted to shoot in one place I'll shoot in another .....and 'll buy the post card.

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 1

Shooting with an X2. I had a guard at the Museum d Orsey make me delete a photo from a series I took . He got off his chair walked up steps and asked to see what I had shot.

I chalked it up to me not knowing the French laws to shooting in pubic places......it was a strange experience. The guard was very nice and the experience was non confrontational.

I suspect he objected  to being in the corner of one of my photos .......with the language barrier I can't  be sure.

I did not stop taking photos, after that one encounter he didn't seem to care.

I agree with Jaapv ....postcard sales and rights...... The older I get the less restrictions bother me.

If I'm restricted to shoot in one place I'll shoot in another .....and 'll buy the post card.

Huh, I’ve shot pictures in museums all over Paris including the Musée d’Orsay and no one said anything (I probably didn’t get a guard in a picture!) I think the last time there I was using my X100 that I kept in a coat pocket.

Museums like to protect their postcard sales... :rolleyes:

Jaap , you were in this museum I talked about when we had the meeting in Tilburg. De Pont. It was allowed to take pictures with our Leica providing we did not have a large bag. Something must have happened, that the museum prohibited Leica M shooting altogether, but what? I hope I will learn soon. 

There are places where cameras and camera phones are banned no matter what shape or form. I am due to visit Highgrove in Gloucestershire this week. It is the home of Prince Charles. No recording equipment of any kind is allowed, whether it be digital or analogue, visual or sound. 

Fair enough, who needs to record everything?

Sadly I suspect that users of huge Canikons have gone berserk in the grounds and the police have said it has to stop for security reasons.

I'll leave my camera locked away and take my eyes. Some of my best memories were taken with my eyes.

• Like 3

I have a good memory, but it cannot match any of my cameras. Currently I have just started to edit and catalogue (euphemism) my extensive archive. I am discovering stuff I had completely forgotten I had shot. This holds true even for recent trips. Nothing matches a record expediently made, say in a museum, where a guide might tell you 'everything', but by the time you leave, how much of it do you remember? Nothing matches judiciously captured images, IMO.

Mostly, I have had good fortune in galleries around the world. The most difficult used to be at home, Melbourne. But recently forbidden areas have relaxed and signs are displayed permitting photography. No flash! A welcome change. One of my favourite sites for shooting is the NGV. I reckon 'we' (at least me) forget the majority of the detail of what we see. It does come back easily with the prompt of a photo.

• Like 2

The issue isn't that photographing is prohibited.Let them if they want to.

IMO the issue is, that an Iphone and Samsung, which are as big as the behind of the Leica M, are allowed, but a Leica M is not. 

I can imagine , that using a stative  and a big camera + bad could be a hindrance for people, but the Leica M and the Iphone /Samsung or other cellphones are not that different in hindrance. In fact the phone give more hindrance because of their arm stretching manifestations which hinder IMO even more. Notwithstanding the flashes the on occasion produce.

• Like 4

I totally agree with you Paulus. The average 'Jo' waving their arms and selfie sicks around (forever!) are even worse that the video freaks that insist you move so they can pan etc. I fear the time will come when this collective behaviour will permanently ban photography in such places.

So far, the tolerance of such behaviour has been surprisingly good in the National Gallery of Victoria, fingers crossed, because any ban will include my Leicas!!! :(

• Like 1

I think at the end of the day the quallity of the picture is always going to be better shot on the iPhone in such places whether you use an iPhone a M or even in NickCanon.

Certify more discreat

Neil

I think at the end of the day the quallity of the picture is always going to be better shot on the iPhone in such places whether you use an iPhone a M or even in NickCanon.

Certify more discreat

Neil

So for the people who don't own a phone , or even one, but not with a reasonable lens and megapixel quality, they have to discard their good quality camera....Maybe it's a perverted way to make the phones still more populair than the cameras...  ;)

• Like 1

So for the people who don't own a phone , or even one, but not with a reasonable lens and megapixel quality, they have to discard their good quality camera....Maybe it's a perverted way to make the phones still more populair than the cameras... ;)

sorry none of that made Sence ....... to me anyway

Neil