New "affordable" version of Imageprint

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Exactly Ian.............crap in equals crap out, so I am always trying to have less crap in and hopefully have better prints coming out. In other words the print is the final step in the process.........if we don't take care of the stuff before the printer then it doesn't matter what printer or printer software you have, it will come out crap.

Since I started printing my own stuff (3 years ago maybe). I have seen so much crap come out of the printer. When I recently looked back at prints in my fancy portfolios, I had conversations with my self like WTF was I thinking when I printed that, that kind of conversation. I have tossed away many many prints because the more I get into this photography lark the more I learn and the more I learn to see. I still have my fancy portfolios but only my very best prints make it into the nice (Elephant Ear) leather bound portfolios..........   :) :) :)

So after that long explanation what I am trying to say is take care of making sure you get a correct exposure in camera first and foremost. Then slowly move forward to PP and hopefully have a beautiful print to either hang on a wall or place in a nice leather bound portfolio.

Neil

Don't discuss your portfolio covers with your Safari guide, nor your slippers. He'll chuck you out of the vehicle - in the middle of a bunch of Crocodiles...

Don't discuss your portfolio covers with your Safari guide, nor your slippers. He'll chuck you out of the vehicle - in the middle of a bunch of Crocodiles...

no he won’t. He is like a brother :) :)

If you have seen the TO thread you will know where the portfolios came from

• 3 weeks later...

I bought IP 10 some time ago and at the time had a very useful exchange with Jeff S who is always very generous with his knowledge and expertice. I find the programne very easy to use on a iMac which is my main computer and only once had to email the help line for a little advice which I recieved within one hour of sending. It is well worth having the trial and don’t forget to Read The F______Manual (RFM) . I rarely scrap any paper which saves me money in paper and ink. IP 10 is not cheap but as a % of my investment in my hobby plus the quality of printing it gives me I consider the cost great value for money.

However I decided to upgrade last week to IP 11 ( black ), big mistake! Unstable, crashes . The support guy is trying to help but if you are in UK or Europe I don’t think they are all that interested. IP 10 is great,worth every penny I overpaid for it, but so far IP 11 (black) is just about the worst piece of software I have used since Microsoft Millenium Edition. A $300 headache. My advice is wait until Luminous Landscape review it.

Thanks for warning re ip black. I am intending to order my P 800 tomorrow. I will be using it with epson driver intitially. My intention wasbto move to black. Will hold fire on that and see what happens.

On a seperate note I have already been looking on epson uk site for driver downlaod. Drawn complete blank. I can find it on epson us.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Mike

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The easiest, most reliable and cost effective print software I have found is PrinTao. It's printer specific and idiot proof.

I cringe at the amount of paper and ink I wasted trying to get decent prints from LR direct. It does all the fiddly stuff automatically in the background which suits me fine.

If the original image is good and well processed the print will be excellent with no unexpected surprises ....

Thanks for warning re ip black. I am intending to order my P 800 tomorrow. I will be using it with epson driver intitially. My intention wasbto move to black. Will hold fire on that and see what happens.

On a seperate note I have already been looking on epson uk site for driver downlaod. Drawn complete blank. I can find it on epson us.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Mike

Since I bought my P800 I have only used IP10 and the programme installed easily and I was up and running in less than 30 min.The cost was almost as much as the printer but I have no complaints and will continue to use it.

I have never used the Epson driver which cam with the printer on a disc.

Colorbyte is a good company and I am sure IP11 will be just as good as IP10 eventually,however trying to get it to work with lots of emails from colorbyte has been extremely frustrating and ultimately a wast of time.

Hopefully my refund will be prompt. We both did our best.The phrase "if its not broke,don,t fix it" comes to mind. Wonderful thing hindsite

Edited by Guest

The easiest, most reliable and cost effective print software I have found is PrinTao. It's printer specific and idiot proof.

I cringe at the amount of paper and ink I wasted trying to get decent prints from LR direct. It does all the fiddly stuff automatically in the background which suits me fine.

If the original image is good and well processed the print will be excellent with no unexpected surprises ....

I am going to look into Printao.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Mike

The drivers come with it.

Since I bought my P800 I have only used IP10 and the programme installed easily and I was up and running in less than 30 min.The cost was almost as much as the printer but I have no complaints and will continue to use it.

I have never used the Epson driver which cam with the printer on a disc.

Colorbyte is a good company and I am sure IP11 will be just as good as IP10 eventually,however trying to get it to work with lots of emails from colorbyte has been extremely frustrating and ultimately a wast of time.

Hopefully my refund will be prompt. We both did our best.The phrase "if its not broke,don,t fix it" comes to mind. Wonderful thing hindsite

Colorbyte have come back to me this evening and want to discuss this issue over the phone as they feel that swopping emails on what is probably a fairly straightforward technical issue is not the best solution and I agree. If this sorts out these issues with IP 11, it’s a win win. Great aftersales.

Great solution.

Colorbyte have come back to me this evening and want to discuss this issue over the phone as they feel that swopping emails on what is probably a fairly straightforward technical issue is not the best solution and I agree. If this sorts out these issues with IP 11, it’s a win win. Great aftersales.

Great solution.

IP 11 ( black ) is running perfectly now on my 2 macs.Spot on. Ultimately a really minor problem sorted out.

IP 11 ( black ) is running perfectly now on my 2 macs.Spot on. Ultimately a really minor problem sorted out.

Brian, what was the procedure for installing the upgrade from v10 to Black.  Simply install and Black overwrites the existing v10 install?  And also, did the upgrqade keep your Spoolface history?

thanks for any info...

Brian, what was the procedure for installing the upgrade from v10 to Black.  Simply install and Black overwrites the existing v10 install?  And also, did the upgrqade keep your Spoolface history?

thanks for any info...

Hi 

The upgrade should be a simple install with Black overwriting the existing v10 and keeping spool face history. However I hit a problem as my copy crashed ( still not sure why but pos operator error "grin" ).I finished up doing a clean install and while I have a back up ,as yet not bothered to retrieve it.Colorbyte also had a build issue which they sorted to very fast. The new interface  is very good  and over the course of the next few months or so new features are due on a free download basis.

You may not be aware but PTAP" print through application "is now inc as standard in Black, where previously it was a extra cost item. This allows you to print direct from Lightroom but still leaves the info on spoolface. Very straightforward to install just follow the manual.

My copy has been installed over a week and I am very impressed .

I have tried a few changes in printing workflow and to me IP is in a different league.Colorbyte and John Ponnozzo and his team are very good and when I had a problem where prepared to call me direct. The product is not cheap but as a % of the cost of my Leica gear its running at about 1.5% and I get superb results. If you would like a chat about this upgrade please PM me.Very pleased to help.

thanks for any info...

A shorter answer is that mine was not a regular problem and in the majority of cases Black will just overwrite IP 10 with no issues.

The title of this thread refers to the new affordable Image Print. As I already had IP 10 the version Red did not interest me as I had got used to The very good paper profiles .These even offer alternatives for differant lighting conditions ie daylight / tungsten etc. Black also incorporates Red so it’s well worth considering which is the best version to buy. Don’t be put of by the price but just look at all the benefits it will give you,them make a decision.I made my first print over 50 years ago and I have never been able to achieve the quality I can get now.I have no illegiance to Colorbyte other than being a customer.

IP is merely my replacement for the LR print module (and final refinements), not for the heavy lifting edits.

Jeff

What about if you don't use lightroom..........I'm using mainly Photoshop cc and Phocus....How does IP Black interact with those programs

Neil

Neil,

From page 32 of the manual: (see link in a previous post)

---

Printing from other programs into Image

Print’s Spooler In addition to printing directly from the main ImagePrint interface, or using hot folders via AutoPrint, ImagePrint also allows you to print directly from virtually any other application, including Photoshop and InDesign. If the application can utilize the Windows Spooler or Macintosh Print Center, then it can print to the ImagePrint spooler with PTA. With PTA, you can choose your ImagePrint printer from the list of printers in your application’s print dialog box, just like any printer. Clicking Print will cause the job to be printed via the ImagePrint spooler, utilizing ImagePrint’s color management and high quality printer control.

---

Edited by ianman

What about if you don't use lightroom..........I'm using mainly Photoshop cc and Phocus....How does IP Black interact with those programs

Neil

One should be able to use Photoshop or any other application as far as I know. I like LR not just for editing, but for organizing my pics, so IP is just one simple transition. I always print from IP.

IP customer service can help with specific technical concerns.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S