New "affordable" version of Imageprint

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Colorbyte software have now released two "affordable" (read – more-affordable" versions of their print software.

They are available in demo versions and the R. E. D. version will apparently run every printer.

I have no idea whether I need this kind of thing or not – but I enjoy printing out my images (I wonder whether those of us who do are in the minority of photographers???) – and so I've downloaded the demo copy and I am trying it out. I should say that I'm trying to try it out – because so far I find it completely unintuitive.

I'd be interested to hear what other people's experiences are. It is not time-limited software but I understand that prints carry a watermark – – which if I ever manage to get a printout, I suppose that I will be able to see.

The ImagePrint is meant to be the Rolls-Royce program. If it turns out to be really good and eventually understandable and usable then I might even think about splashing out for a copy.

https://www.colorbytesoftware.com/print-red.shtml

• Like 1

I like to print. My printer is relatively simple, an Epson 2800.

My postprocessing software manages the print process.

I use however expensive paper (including correct print profiles) and original inkts.

I doubt whether I can get better results with third party software. But I would like to hear a different opinion.

Edited by Gobert

Exactly my situation too. I may not get better results – but I'm always open to try. The only drawback here is that because of the watermark, there will be a bit of paper wastage while one figures it out.

I'd settle for better - or easier.

Both would be great

Edited by marcg

Independent from the purchase price, I would like to learn from other members whether it’s possible to improve print results with third party software (other then Epson or built in in LR, C1 etc.), while using a relatively simple configuration.

From the IP RED FAQ:

What advantages does ImagePrint R.E.D. give me over printing from Photoshop?

We get this question a lot. Both use the OEM driver to print. However, Photoshop is foremost an image editing package that happens to allow you to print. It gives you very little control over output related functions. ImagePrint R.E.D. is a feature rich printing application designed to drive your printer to its fullest potential. You’d be hard pressed to find an easier way to print than ImagePrint R.E.D. In fact, we’re confident that once you’ve use ImagePrint R.E.D., you’ll never want to print from Photoshop or a basic print utility again.

Very poor answer unless they are trying to say “none”.

Edited by Exodies
  • Like 1

Independent from the purchase price, I would like to learn from other members whether it’s possible to improve print results with third party software (other then Epson or built in in LR, C1 etc.), while using a relatively simple configuration.

I use LR (and Photoshop infrequently now), but print from ImagePrint 10, which is conveniently set up as an external LR editor.

I’d never go back to printing without IP and, despite its cost, find it a great value. Its advantages are significant for me, for the process and for the results.

First, it replaces my P800 driver and automatically optimizes every printer and software setting. Simple, no forgetting anything, and avoids any issues (e.g., color management or other) that have occurred in the past with the Apple/Adobe/Epson chain, particularly with new system updates. I recall when Apple screwed up color management in the past and was slow to inform customers.

I find the system simple and intuitive. There are video tutorials for those in need, and the customer service team is friendly and knowledgeable.

Second, IP10 provides superb profiles for virtually every paper, better than the custom profiling service I used, and for half the cost of buying gear for custom profiling, and without the hassle. These include multiple profiles for each paper for different lighting situations, as well as b/w.

Next, IP is always in soft proof mode, so WYSIWYG. And IP softproofing works better for me than LR, saving time and paper.

Each full iteration of IP improves and the controls for IP 10, including final print sharpening, provide great results. I have no idea about any new, more affordable, product or its pros/cons. I can only speak to the full software.

No equipment, whether in the darkroom or lightroom, is responsible for optimal results, any more than great gear makes one a great photographer. Some people do a lot with a little, and some produce mediocre results with the best. As always, the best tools remain between the ears.... a good eye and good judgment. But beyond that, the best tools get out of the way and allow one to efficiently and effectively get desired results. IP does that for me.... better than LR or Photoshop. YMMV, as they say.

George DeWolfe, a printer I respect, chose IP over Piezography and other b/w print methods after thorough testing for print results and ease of use. This was using old iterations, but I can see why he was impressed with IP.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 6

Here's a link to the ImagePrint R.E.D. faq which does some comparisons between what they call R.E.D. and Black versions of ImagePrint.  The Black version is apparently the full-up version.  One big difference is that Black includes all the custom profiles built by Colorbyte, whereas R.E.D. uses profiles supplied by the printer itself or custom profiles added by the user.

https://www.colorbytesoftware.com/RED/red_faq.html

Here's a link to the ImagePrint R.E.D. faq which does some comparisons between what they call R.E.D. and Black versions of ImagePrint.  The Black version is apparently the full-up version.  One big difference is that Black includes all the custom profiles built by Colorbyte, whereas R.E.D. uses profiles supplied by the printer itself or custom profiles added by the user.

https://www.colorbytesoftware.com/RED/red_faq.html

I've been starting to have a play with it – and it certainly seems to me that it doesn't produce any different results to printing directly out of photoshop out of lightroom. So far I'm very disappointed. It seems to me that the advantages of the others are probably that they might have better profiles but if you are using the same profiles then so far I don't see the point of splashing out $400 for something that can be done already in photoshop.

What am I missing?

As far as I understand it, this software takes over all the colour management from the other parts of the chain. I haven't printed properly in a while as I have been without a good printer for years (something that I hope will change very soon), but I remember it being very confusing as to which driver to use, and it being all rather confusing. Apple, Adobe, the printer driver, they are all battling it out to see which handles what. IP - again, as I understand it - takes control of the whole process and does it very well from what I've read. Another benefit seems to be the freely available profiles for different paper/printer combinations.

So I guess that if you are less lazy than me and have taken the time to fully understand what is going on behind the scenes re. colour management and you have made all your own profiles, then this software would be redundant.  But if you had done all that, then I also assume that what this software does would not be such a mystery.

I've read a lot of good about IP, so I wouldn't be so hasty to brush it aside.

Edited by ianman

I've never tried IP because I don't actually have a problem with printing from LR (on an Epson P800). Using my own printing presets in LR (set once, store, then reuse) seems to solve all the quoted problems of matching printer driver, paper, profiles and pp software.

After that it comes down to whether I want the profiles that come with IP, which I wouldn't know without trying it. But after putting in plenty of work years ago into understanding colour printing and selecting papers, I'm happy in my ignorance.

The one thing that would be nice to have is better soft proofing: LR's soft proofing is easy but not very accurate. The problem with using a third party package for soft proofing is that I'd then have to jump back into LR or PS to make corrections.

I'm curious to hear how others get on with the new package.

• Like 1

The problem with using a third party package for soft proofing is that I'd then have to jump back into LR or PS to make corrections.

A matter of seconds. And I’d rather do that than waste a print. IP is merely my replacement for the LR print module (and final refinements), not for the heavy lifting edits.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Have to agree that if you value prints ... IP is unparalleled. The dithering and math they use is so much

improved over PS LR and most other RIPs.

Used it from IP 4 through 10 ... my last printer ... an Epson 4900 developed the feared terminal clog

status and since then I have not printed at home. If I do return to printing ... IP will be dusted off and

running the PS to printer interface.

It is a bit unintuitive ... first time around ... however they have great support and once you are up and

running it is seamless.

Cheap printer, cheap paper ... may not seem like much but when you feed it fine art papers ... so good.

Just ordered a print from one of the major online printers ... 12x16 under glass ... $150 dollars. Getting

really close to buying another Epson.

Bob

Very interesting comments and opinions, but of course everyone here is talking about ImagePrint 10 or maybe ImagePrint Black where part of the deal is that the company has supplied its own profiles which apparently are highly accurate. For somebody looking for the ultimate in their prints, and who is prepared to pay that kind of money then this is probably a great piece of software and even represents value for money.

However, ImagePrint RED relies on standard profiles or your own profiles which you have created. So far as that is concerned, I don't really see the point of ImagePrint RED and I'm not sure what it offers over and above the print functions offered by Photoshop or LR.

I suppose that I was hoping for a colour version of QuadTone Rip – and this is not it – or it doesn't seem to be it to me.

I think you missed many of the other points raised here by me and others. But the best way to assess is to try it yourself and decide. For me, IP offers all a RIP provides.....and more... like profiles.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S