180mm lens on M10

fatihayoglu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I am planning to ditch my Nikon system (except when I really need it like wildlife shooting) but Nikon system has one lens that I don't have a substitute in my Leica system, 70-200/2.8

Recently I was traveling in Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet and the only time I use this lens was when I was shooting landscape. Therefore autofocus is not crucial to me. I have Leica 90/2.0 which will cover the short side of this particular lens but I need something for the longer part.

I was thinking about 180mm R lens from Leica and adapt it with a convertor. What is your thought on this? Is there any particular model or version I should be checking?

Cheers,

Fatih

My best choice because I have one for long time is Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 .

Apo lens that is bargain now, something as 1/10 of new lens price when available.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/180mm_f/3.4_APO-Telyt-R

Sometime, I use with Apo-Extender-R x2...

Not bad but 6.8/360mm equivalent focal is not sexy.

As this Apo-Telyt-R 180 is best at full open, that is good thing with x2 to reach long range if need be.

Side note, Visoflex 020 may be required to use this 180mm.

I noticed small time parallax so not very nice for safari or sport use.

Some people regret the focus to only 2.5m but used at far range, this is one of the best available.

Arnaud

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

I am planning to ditch my Nikon system (except when I really need it like wildlife shooting) but Nikon system has one lens that I don't have a substitute in my Leica system, 70-200/2.8

Recently I was traveling in Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet and the only time I use this lens was when I was shooting landscape. Therefore autofocus is not crucial to me. I have Leica 90/2.0 which will cover the short side of this particular lens but I need something for the longer part.

I was thinking about 180mm R lens from Leica and adapt it with a convertor. What is your thought on this? Is there any particular model or version I should be checking?

Cheers,

Fatih

If money is not the problem and weight either, I’d strongly recommend the APO-Elmarit 180mm/2.0 R. This is an awesome lens which has an astounding bokeh, which can also be exploited to the max in video especially because the focusing is very smooth. It reaches its maximum performance immediately at full aperture and stopping down it doesn’t get better. It has also internal focusing which makes it ideal for handheld captures, the tube is not getting any longer when coming closer. I’m time and again surprised about the sharpness without tripod, even on my M10 I did not see any movement blur.

The APO-Telyt 3.4/180mm however has also mythical properties, it has less power in isolating subjects form the background of course. I reckon that if you want to use the extender 2 or 1.4 every half stop counts, so the Elmarit would be better

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

haven't tried the Summicron-R 180 on the M10, but it worked fine when mounted on the M240.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If money is not the problem and weight either, I’d strongly recommend the APO-Elmarit 180mm/2.0 R. This is an awesome lens which has an astounding bokeh, which can also be exploited to the max in video especially because the focusing is very smooth. It reaches its maximum performance immediately at full aperture and stopping down it doesn’t get better. It has also internal focusing which makes it ideal for handheld captures, the tube is not getting any longer when coming closer. I’m time and again surprised about the sharpness without tripod, even on my M10 I did not see any movement blur.

The APO-Telyt 3.4/180mm however has also mythical properties, it has less power in isolating subjects form the background of course. I reckon that if you want to use the extender 2 or 1.4 every half stop counts, so the Elmarit would be better

Sorry I meant of course the APO-Elmarit 2.8 Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Did you read the page behind my Link???

Only the title, more seems to be too much ... :unsure:

Especially for you, the title:

"180mm f/2.8 APO-Elmarit-R II"

I meant can't find APO 2,8 on my seller :) Otherwise I know there is APO2,8 (plus APO2,8 is nearly £3k on Ebay, I can find APO 3,4 for £700)

Edited by fatihayoglu

thank you very much all, really appreciated with your inputs.

Due to the cost, I think 180 APO 3,4 is more suitable to me. Nearly 1/5th of 180 APO 2,8

So now the question is, do I have to buy Leica branded adapter or any adapter would just work?

Also the one I find is 3CAM version which I am not quite what it is exactly, so would that work?

Cheers,

Fatih

thank you very much all, really appreciated with your inputs.

Due to the cost, I think 180 APO 3,4 is more suitable to me. Nearly 1/5th of 180 APO 2,8

So now the question is, do I have to buy Leica branded adapter or any adapter would just work?

Also the one I find is 3CAM version which I am not quite what it is exactly, so would that work?

Cheers,

Fatih

The Cams are only important for Leica R Bodies.

I'm using a Novoflex Leica R/M Adapter but the Leica one has a tripod connection!

The CAM configuration doesn't matter when mounted on a M. About the adapter... it must be rightly manufactured, simply : the Leica original is good by definition... (hopingfully B))... personally I have a Novoflex and it is too a trustable brand. I haven't seen prices from the various chinese manufacturers... but I doubt that the price difference justifies the marginal risk of some mech issue (which, remember, can arise AFTER  some time of usage... not only a matter of tolerance of the basic couplings, but also durability in terms of mount/dismount cycles...)

I think the main advantage of the original Leica R-to-M-Adapter is it‘s possibility to mount it on a tripod. The 1:3.4/180mm Apo-Telyt-R has no tripod mount and if you just fix the camera on the tripod it won‘t be very balanced. So the adapter‘s tripod mount will give you more stability.

P.S: unfortunately the adapter does not allow a quick change from vertical to horizontal like the old Oubio for the original Visoflex.

Edited by UliWer

I meant can't find APO 2,8 on my seller :) Otherwise I know there is APO2,8 (plus APO2,8 is nearly £3k on Ebay, I can find APO 3,4 for £700)

Yes it is hard to find second hand. I don't sell mine  :)