Leica M Film Photos -- Feel Free to Share Yours

Guest Nowhereman

I think this is a picture that will mean different things depending on the context. In a book about a megacity it could suggest “like sardines”; in a fish restaurant as a large print it would suggest something else. Same for sequencing: when one image follows another one in a book or exhibition a narrative appears, even if there is no “story.” This photo hangs in a museum-box frame in a restaurant in Mae Rim near Chiang Mai, called Love Sushi.

Taken with the M6 and a DR-Summicron 50 with the goggles on for the close-up range, on Neopan 1600 film.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Nowhereman

These university students are standing in front of a photo booth shop in the Ratchada Soi 4 entertainment area in Bangkok thirteen years ago. Most nightlife areas had photo booths, but all this has been replaced by the selfie. A majority are taken by girls and young women: just do a web search for “Why people take selfies" to read many types of analysis of this phenomenon.

Taken with the M6 and Summilux 50 pre-ASPH lens on Twi-X.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

M4-2, Summarit-M 35 2.5. BW film and darkroom print.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

London, UK. Leica M2, 35mm Summaron, Kodak Portra 400

• Like 17

M3 & 50mm DR, HP5+

• Like 10

A few images from a recent trip to Boston and New York. Shot with MP and 50 V4 Summicron on Eastman 5222, developed in Adox MQ Borax. Wet printed and scanned.

s-a

• Like 13

It costs about $15 per roll near me to have color film developed.  One reason I go with B&W and develop at home.  Your photo makes me wish I had some cheaper color film developing options.  

I mostly shoot B&W as well, but the store/lab I take C-41 to only charges $7.50 CDN (about $5.75 USD) for same day service, and $5.50 CDN ($4.25 USD or so) for econo service (drop it off say, Sunday, pick it up the following Friday). That's process only. The "pro" lab is about $2.00 more for same day service. I did some Googling and found Process One at $3.99 USD, and Dwayne's at $6.00 for process only. Not sure if either are convenient to you but there do seem to be options. 

I mostly shoot B&W as well, but the store/lab I take C-41 to only charges $7.50 CDN (about $5.75 USD) for same day service, and $5.50 CDN ($4.25 USD or so) for econo service (drop it off say, Sunday, pick it up the following Friday). That's process only. The "pro" lab is about $2.00 more for same day service. I did some Googling and found Process One at $3.99 USD, and Dwayne's at $6.00 for process only. Not sure if either are convenient to you but there do seem to be options. 

Thanks, G. 

I thought a little context would add something to this post.  Out of curiosity I went to an American Pit Bull Terrier Show.  (The America Kennel Club does not recognize PBTs as a breed).  It was interesting and the breeders were very informative and friendly.  Exhibitors came from several states and there was one lady that came from Saskatchewan, Canada.  She is the lady in the first photo.  She has won an award for traveling the most miles in one year going to shows -- over 50,000 miles.  Her husband passed away a few years ago and they occasionally went to shows.  After he passed she started going to shows regularly.  Interestingly, she will sometimes go to shows a thousand miles away and travel home and then hit the road a few days later.  The second photo is a guy with his bitch who just won a blue ribbon.  He spent an hour with me explaining the show, the people, the camaraderie.  He once worked at a photo store and still has a darkroom but said he does not use it anymore so we talked photography and and dogs.  

• Like 7

There has been some discussion about having a film thread exclusively for M body cameras.  It might be a concise place for people to see M film photos if they are considering an M film camera, or different types of film and lens combinations using an M.  There may be no interest in a thread like this and that is certainly OK. The turtle would have never crossed the street if it didn't stick it's neck out, so here goes.  

M3, 50mm DR, HP5+

RayD28- Great thread Many will welcome it for obvious reasons!

~f

Batavia NY

Leica M4 BP, 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, Hp5

• Like 6

Portra 400

Summicron 50 v4

M6 

• Like 15

M3 50mmDR and my first outing with Portra 160 - nice colours, lab develop & scan - imported to lightroom and just auto adjusted.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 16

M3 50mmDR and my first outing with Portra 160 - nice colours, lab develop & scan - imported to lightroom and just auto adjusted.

Very nice colors, very well scanned and very clear images coming out of this old Summicron, thanks for sharing! I would be delighted if I could make such scans with my humble PlusTek

• Like 2