Nocturnus 75mm f/0.95 Unveiled

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This interesting new offering from Meyer-Optik Goerlitz of Germany will hit the market in May of this year and will be Leica M mount compatible.  I am looking forward to seeing some test shots made with this lens.

Edited by Herr Barnack

My Summilux is hard but possible to focus. I had a Canon 85/1.2 which I found frustrating in that when it was spot on it was stunning but it was all too easy not to be spot on, no matter what. A 75/0.95 sounds like it will be of extremely limited usability simply due to the problem of ensuring the absolutely precise point of focus. An interesting lens but perhaps not actually of that much use wide open?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone here actually used one of these MOGs, especially the 50 Nocturnus?

Even Endangered Species Big Game Hunter Overgaard has his share of unfocused shots on the 50 Noctilux so it’s really f/1.4 that interests me for a 75. Just looked under the mattress and don’t have enough Double Eagles or Krugerrands for a 75 Noctilux.

Availability will be 2019 according to their site. Preorder this year. I don’t know if you have to pay up front and float them the money for a year. Anyone know?

This matter is imho not TOTALLY clear (was discussed in another thread on the same item) ; seems to be like this :

- They have published a 3999 € price tag , "release" late 2018, availabilty 2019.

- The "early bird" program is a sort of co-financing of the project : you pay NOW 1899 € (or even slightly more and you get some "plus"...) : they publish the money coming in under this program

- And you will get the item when available (at no extra cost ? this is not clearly written)

- But (and this is someway declared, though not so straight) could even happen that the project is re-scheduled, deliveries postponed... maybe even project cancelled ?

- Maybe if you contact them declaring  interest in the "early bird" program they make some clear written statement about what would happen if the above case occurs : I seem to haven't read about, in the page of "early bird program".

Boeing and Airbus  are normally engaged in similar schemas... but lenses aren't  jetplanes... :p

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I think the assumption is that the lens will be used on a mirrorless EVF type camera – including the Leica M using live view (I don't think the lens will be RF coupled) – so focussing shouldn't be much of a problem.

I had made that assumption. My experience with the 85mm f/1.2 was that despite all I tried it was still to some extent a bit hit and miss on absolute point of focus. The DoF was so narrow that any motion whatsoever could shift it. Just my experience and despite that I did get some good shots with it, and I've seen some fabulous shots with the same lens too. But I got rid of it simply because of its failure rate which was, for me, too high. The 75/1.4 is about as precise on viable focus as I am happy with.

This matter is imho not TOTALLY clear (was discussed in another thread on the same item) ; seems to be like this :

- They have published a 3999 € price tag , "release" late 2018, availabilty 2019.

- The "early bird" program is a sort of co-financing of the project : you pay NOW 1899 € (or even slightly more and you get some "plus"...) : they publish the money coming in under this program

- And you will get the item when available (at no extra cost ? this is not clearly written)

- But (and this is someway declared, though not so straight) could even happen that the project is re-scheduled, deliveries postponed... maybe even project cancelled ?

- Maybe if you contact them declaring  interest in the "early bird" program they make some clear written statement about what would happen if the above case occurs : I seem to haven't read about, in the page of "early bird program".

Boeing and Airbus  are normally engaged in similar schemas... but lenses aren't  jetplanes... :p

Or vice versa. :)

• Like 1

Sorry... i  confused with another pre-announcement by MOG (https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/283891-meyer-optik-re-issued-apo-makro-plasmat-or-nikkor-ltm-in-105mm/) for another intriguing lens.

I think the assumption is that the lens will be used on a mirrorless EVF type camera – including the Leica M using live view (I don't think the lens will be RF coupled) – so focussing shouldn't be much of a problem.

Actually, having thought about this, I wonder if the focus is quite 'fine' ie substantial rotational travel for small focus adjustment - the Canon 85/1.2 was/is 'fly by wire' which didn't help as far as I was concerned.