Leica R-Adapter L or Novoflex T-SL adapter?

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I consider buying an adapter to use R lenses on the SL. I noted in Leica`s own description of the adapter that it works perfectly with ROM and R-only lenses, but that there are problems with using 3-cam lenses as one of the cams could damage the adapter. This might be a problem as I still have a couple of 3-cam lenses. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this also the case for the Novoflex adapter? I know of course that Novoflex also produces high quality equipment and there may be no objective reasons for paying several times as much for the Leica adapter.  

I consider buying an adapter to use R lenses on the SL. I noted in Leica`s own description of the adapter that it works perfectly with ROM and R-only lenses, but that there are problems with using 3-cam lenses as one of the cams could damage the adapter. This might be a problem as I still have a couple of 3-cam lenses. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this also the case for the Novoflex adapter? I know of course that Novoflex also produces high quality equipment and there may be no objective reasons for paying several times as much for the Leica adapter.

I prefer the Novoflex adapter since this is a tube only, giving slightly less vignetting than the Leica adapter (the latter with a square mask inside the adapter). This observation is based on testing with the 280mm f4 APO-R lens, see ex below. Other lenses show no differences at all.

I have not experienced problems with my (newer) ROM-ed R-lenses on the Leica adapter, but as you allude to, some R-lenses are incompatible:

"Leica single-lens reflex lenses manufactured before 1976 should not be mounted to the R-Adapter L, as this can cause damage to the mount.".

An advantage with the Leica adapter is its optional tripod mount.

Regarding vignetting: The following images show the SL+280 APO f4 @ f5.6, +2/3 exposure compensation, sky at infinity, directly from LightRoom, in order:

Lens code OFF and with Leica R->L adapter

Lens code OFF and with Novoflex R->L adapter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

No problem with 3-cam lenses, R-L adapter is not compatible with 1 and 2 cam lenses (ie. the ones for Mk1/Mk2 Leicaflex and Leicaflex SL/SL2 only). All lenses from 76 on (as well as modified earlier ones) are compatible. So 3-cam, R-cam and ROM lenses are safe on the adapter.

From adapter's instructions book:

COMPATIBLE LENSES
All Leica R lenses with contact strips are compatible, as are all lenses
available for the Leica R models since 1976. Both apply in principle to
joint use with appropriately equipped Leica R lens accessories, such
as extender and macro adapter (subject to any lens-specific restrictions.
Please refer to the relevant lens or accessory instruction for
details on this.) However, Leica single-lens reflex lenses manufactured
before 1976 (without R step) must not be used because they may
damage this adapter.
Edited by Steve McGarrett
  • Like 1