Q2 is coming...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Old news which, upon first glance, looks to have been strategically leaked just now:

https://leicarumors.com/2018/04/26/leica-q2-trademark-registered-in-europe.aspx/

I'd be a little surprised if this got released ahead of a new S, but would not be complaining. Far from it.

Let the mayhem begin!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

well, at the same site is this:

Back in 2012, Leica trademarked the "M11" name.

so, maybe we shouldn't hold our breath....

So glad to read that. I was turning blue with anticipation! :-)

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 4

Indeed, though the x1 trademark was secured a few months before it came out so anything could happen.

But I secretly share the same sentiments as you, and would be surprised if the Q2 came out this year.

The only improvements I can think of are 1) mandatory enhancement of performance in iso and dynamic range, 2) bump in megapixels, 3) smaller lens 4) options for different focal lengths I.e 35 and 50.

And I’m guessing that, since 1 and 2 are already pretty good and 3 is negligible, only 4 would have a notable benefit for a majority of those who would be interested...

Edited by jonatdonuts
  • Like 1

Improved (slightly larger if possible) evf to help with glasses, lockable diopter, weather sealing, dedicated iso button on top left above evf, and get rid of video (or let us use video button for fn2) would be my choices. Although my guess is 35 or 50mm FL will be the major change.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While I dont see the Q as perfect... what camera is...  a new version would have to provide a significant sensor jump for me to want to trade up. Something along the lines of dropping to ISO 50, DR surpassing the M10 and somewhere in the neighborhood of 36MP.   In general I'm happy with 24 MP,  but in the context of a fixed 28mm the extra pixels certainly increase the usefulness from a cropping to alternate views standpoint.  But to be honest, even if all that and the suggestions above came to pass, while I'd be tempted, I likely still would stay on the sidelines, at least until a second gen SL appeared, which I think has a far greater need for updating given its brief. 

• Like 2

While I dont see the Q as perfect... what camera is...  a new version would have to provide a significant sensor jump for me to want to trade up. Something along the lines of dropping to ISO 50, DR surpassing the M10 and somewhere in the neighborhood of 36MP.   In general I'm happy with 24 MP,  but in the context of a fixed 28mm the extra pixels certainly increase the usefulness from a cropping to alternate views standpoint.  But to be honest, even if all that and the suggestions above came to pass, while I'd be tempted, I likely still would stay on the sidelines, at least until a second gen SL appeared, which I think has a far greater need for updating given its brief. 

Thank you for these words of wisdom! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bags27
  • Like 3

Speaking for myself only, I'm very happy with the Q as it is.  Now, having said that, I am fortunate enough to have been able to pick up an M10 plus 50 f/2 Summicron recently.  That satisfies my "normal" focal length needs, but I have found that my Q really works wonders in the wide angle area.  Many of us carry two cameras to avoid swapping lenses in the field, so I see my combo as filling that need.  I'm currently scoping out something in the 90+ mm area, to complete the set.  Every shot I make with my Q is wonderful (to me, not necessarily to others), and part of my arsenal.

• Like 10

Happy with my Q as is.  Would add a 2nd Q with corresponding longer FLs, say 50/75/90, with no other changes to the Q's basic functionality.  Currently using a CL + M glass in tandem with my Q to cover the longer end.  Works well but I'd prefer a "normal-to-short-tele" Q.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the Q2 won't differ very much from the Q.

28 mm is very typical to the Q. Leica will stay loyal to this concept.

Probably the Q2 will come with the 3 button operation (like the M10 and CL).

Weather sealing would be nice, and a larger EVF is to expect.

It sure will come with electronic improvements. (Although I don't care to much about that.)

If a 50mm is in the pipeline, Leica would have trademarked 'Q50' ;).

Leica special editions (like Q Snow) predict often the launch of a newer model.

So I think the Q2 might be available around Christmas.

Regards, Frederic.

• Like 4

Leica special editions (like Q Snow) predict often the launch of a newer model.

So I think the Q2 might be available around Christmas.

Regards, Frederic.

Hope what you said is right. I am holding my breath for a Q2. I was about to order the Q a couple of month ago as the second cam to my A7RII but since I am not in a rush to get one, I thought it is worthwhile to wait.

• Like 1

I had a conversation at a Leica store and they told me to expect a new Q for Photokina this year. Likely not something like 35mm or 50mm as it would compete too much with the M. I said I would be interested in something with better macro capability and they thought that may happen.

• Like 1

I had a conversation at a Leica store and they told me to expect a new Q for Photokina this year. Likely not something like 35mm or 50mm as it would compete too much with the M. I said I would be interested in something with better macro capability and they thought that may happen.

I had also a coversation at the leica store and they told me, that the Q will come in September but definitely not a 28mm, it will be a different lens, 35, 50.... it’s all secret for now.

I had also a coversation at the leica store and they told me, that the Q will come in September but definitely not a 28mm, it will be a different lens, 35, 50.... it’s all secret for now.

When I bought my Q in Leica store (NYC) couple of months ago, their employee speculated that the new one should be coming "soon" and that it's likely to have 40mm or 50mm lens.

• Like 1