Q2 is coming...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

look all I am saying is it is a bunch of hooey for people to say that 24mp images look at good as 42mp images I have compared the two side by side for years on a 5k monitor and you do not have to print big to tell the difference. You can take all the mumbo jumbo and science and rules and theories but they simply do not have the pop. You obviously must be looking at them in 4,000 to 5,000 pixels at 100% like I view mine on my 27" 5k iMac but I challenge anyone to show me a 24MP images that consistently have the same impact as 42MP of same.

It really goes back to what I was saying you have not experienced it so why do you think you can say it is not so? That is the part the bothers me and bothers a whole lot of others.

I call it speaking from experience.

Sure, you're definitely going to notice the difference in MP zooming in and out of a 5k monitor. And if that's your thing, or ultra size landscape prints are your business, then the more MP the better. 

But I think a large majority of people view the picture as a whole, either on a monitor or on print, at 16x24 or even smaller. In this case, the 24MP is plenty. At these sizes, any bump in MP would not make a difference to the quality of the final image, but it could take a hit on the camera's processing speed, the computer's performance, and certainly the hard drive space. 

look all I am saying is it is a bunch of hooey for people to say that 24mp images look at good as 42mp images I have compared the two side by side for years on a 5k monitor and you do not have to print big to tell the difference. You can take all the mumbo jumbo and science and rules and theories but they simply do not have the pop. You obviously must be looking at them in 4,000 to 5,000 pixels at 100% like I view mine on my 27" 5k iMac but I challenge anyone to show me a 24MP images that consistently have the same impact as 42MP of same.

It really goes back to what I was saying you have not experienced it so why do you think you can say it is not so? That is the part the bothers me and bothers a whole lot of others.

I call it speaking from experience.

• Like 2

My question is have you owned, lived with and used a 42mp 35mm camera with highly resolving lenses and what is the resolution of the montior you view them at and what resolution do you view them at?

Even a Leica person has to or should admit that if have no first hand knowledge your opinion is rather worthless on the matter becaue you would not know what you are talking about. 

I too am glad you are happy with yesteryears gear. Leica may have once been a leader in the camera world but they no longer are and have not been for a long time. They have brainwashed their loyal followers into believing it should take more work to achieve results. Using manual exposure and and or a fixed lens on any camera can help a person become more involved in the process but the majority of owners have chosen the latter.

Hahaha,

You are obviously getting your narcissistic supply on this and other threads by showing us your enlightened experience of ultra high end monitors your latest camera models and (on some other forums) your ultra expensive cars. Well, thank you very much for your advices, can we please now spend our money wherever we like? Some people here even with iMacs with 5K displays and Canon imagePROGRAF A2 printed - cropped images from Q are very happy and even earn money from their photos.

So why not all agree that, yes, 50MP are sharper than 24MP, but we blatantly... don't care?

You are obviously a dem

...And that was (one along others) the comment that helped me form my opinion that I expressed above. Completely out of context. Anything helpful you have said even in good nature looses its validity after making comments like these.

Edit:
Obviously I have more important things to do so I will not respond to any replies on this comment. Apologies but not much free time, I need to take some photos too instead of arguing! Peace and Love!
Edited by zampelis
  • Like 6

Hahaha,

You are obviously getting your narcissistic supply on this and other threads by showing us your enlightened experience of ultra high end monitors your latest camera models and (on some other forums) your ultra expensive cars. Well, thank you very much for your advices, can we please now spend our money wherever we like? Some people here even with iMacs with 5K displays and Canon imagePROGRAF A2 printed - cropped images from Q are very happy and even earn money from their photos.

So why not all agree that, yes, 50MP are sharper than 24MP, but we blatantly... don't care?

...And that was (one along others) the comment that helped me form my opinion that I expressed above. Completely out of context. Anything helpful you have said even in good nature looses its validity after making comments like these.

Edit:

Obviously I have more important things to do so I will not respond to any replies on this comment. Apologies but not much free time, I need to take some photos too instead of arguing! Peace and Love!

No offense intended but earning money and selling photos has little to do with IQ we both know that, I am not looking for good enough I am looking for the best I can obtain. Most people would not know one from the other do you think a bride cares about anything other than how she thinks she looks in a photo? I am a hobbyist and not trying to satisfy people who do not know what they are looking at I am trying to satisfy myself and I am demanding there is a big difference. 

No offense intended but earning money and selling photos has little to do with IQ we both know that, I am not looking for good enough I am looking for the best I can obtain. Most people would not know one from the other do you think a bride cares about anything other than how she thinks she looks in a photo? I am a hobbyist and not trying to satisfy people who do not know what they are looking at I am trying to satisfy myself and I am demanding there is a big difference. 

Even though I said I will not respond, thanks for the civilised reply. You are obviously enjoying venturing for the latest and greatest. Some other people just don't set a high priority on that but just settle with a tool they buy, which can provide high enough quality for the standards they have set and then they stop spending effort, time and money for finding a replacement but instead they try to get improved on using that specific tool in order to get better results on other areas, money can't buy. Resolution is a good thing to have but there is a threshold where composition or colour theory and getting exposed to work of masters of photography are more important areas in order to take good photos. 

Edit:

A Q2 for me would be a great improvement for example if it was waterproofed and could allow me to get in areas I can't currently get mine. 

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 6

Even though I said I will not respond, thanks for the civilised reply. You are obviously enjoying venturing for the latest and greatest. Some other people just don't set a high priority on that but just settle with a tool they buy, which can provide high enough quality for the standards they have set and then they stop spending effort, time and money for finding a replacement but instead they try to get improved on using that specific tool in order to get better results on other areas, money can't buy. Resolution is a good thing to have but there is a threshold where composition or colour theory and getting exposed to work of masters of photography are more important areas in order to take good photos. 

Agreed wholeheartedly but it is nice to have both for some also.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agreed wholeheartedly but it is nice to have both for some also.

I totally agree. Have you got any examples of high resolution photos you have taken that they demonstrate the increased quality by having more than 24 MP resolution? 

Edit:

By the way, if there is any difference, it will be appreciated. I am colour calibrating my 5k iMac using an iOne Pro2 and also using an Eizo Colour Edge monitor, along with a professionally calibrated SONY BVM D-24 with a Sony BKM SDI decoder.

Edited by zampelis

I totally agree. Have you got any examples of high resolution photos you have taken that they demonstrate the increased quality by having more than 24 MP resolution? 

I have some on 500px and Format but they do not display as large as youpic but some of these are rendered well and are sharp. 

https://youpic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=portfolio

I have some on 500px and Format but they do not display as large as youpic but some of these are rendered well and are sharp. 

https://youpic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=portfolio

Thanks for your reply. Lovely shots by the way, I will definitely look more into them. Thanks again.

Edited by zampelis

Thank you that means a lot coming from someone on here. I would like to see some of your work as well I like to see as much as I can and intersted from a Leica users perpsective. I do not want to generalize but I looked at several dozen Leica portfolios and there seemed to be a common theme. Almost like Leica users have a different idea not good or bad mind you but different than what I typically see.

A lot more moods and story telling than what I am used to but what particuarly confounded me was the drab colors almost gloomy in so many and lack of color. I understand that many photographers have a unique style or what they prefer but the same common theme seemed to run through the ones I looked at. Faded color was what I came away with and a lack of what I call pop!

I guess both are equally good but it not my preference as you can see and I have a difficult time understanding the allure to many of what I looked at. I maybe looking in the wrong places also certainly not every Leica shooter has the same tastes but it seemed like it when I looked. There is no doubt about it Leica folk are a little different just as sailboaters are different than power boaters and other examples. I think the cameras are cool and they have a feel to them I certainly can appreciate and admire. Being a businessman and staunch conservative I am in sharp contrast to left leaning, bearded, Volvo driving, pipe smoking, professor types if you know what I mean and that is the general perceptoin from others of Leica shooters. Please to not shoot the messenger I am only passing on a stereotype that many have right or wrong. Obviously that is a gross generalizatoin but it is kind of a funny one to many of us at the same time. There is probably some envy and jealousness also I would suspect. I get pleasure as many do using the Zeiss Loxia MF lenses which are more involving with very good Leica like build quality they are very popular with Sony shooters so I can get the involvement many Leica owners enjoy with their equipment. Good day sir!  Terry

Judging from your portfolio you are a great admirer of colour and you are not doing any B/W photography. You obviously don't feel very keen with this type of photography and in this forum there are a lot of people expressing themselves using B/W.

You will allow me though to disagree about the colours people are using here. I have been inspired countless of times from countless amazing photos of numerous members in the forum and they have made me progress and improve myself as a photographer. I have seen some absolutely breathtaking colour reproduction on photos as well some amazing B/W editing that have changed the way I am looking on things.

Some times people are looking for something "more" on expressing themselves and they adapt various styles. This may be specific styles on colour reproduction, bright or faded colours, use of specific films, e.t.c. I call this art and if I can't understand it, I try to invest more time appreciating it because I have find that in the end I will always get something positive out of it.

I hope you too have a good day and I also hope I see more photos of yours in this forum in the future. Take care Terry.

• Like 6

Judging from your portfolio you are a great admirer of colour and you are not doing any B/W photography. You obviously don't feel very keen with this type of photography and in this forum there are a lot of people expressing themselves using B/W.

You will allow me though to disagree about the colours people are using here. I have been inspired countless of times from countless amazing photos of numerous members in the forum and they have made me progress and improve myself as a photographer. I have seen some absolutely breathtaking colour reproduction on photos as well some amazing B/W editing that have changed the way I am looking on things.

Some times people are looking for something "more" on expressing themselves and they adapt various styles. This may be specific styles on colour reproduction, bright or faded colours, use of specific films, e.t.c. I call this art and if I can't understand it, I try to invest more time appreciating it because I have find that in the end I will always get something positive out of it.

I hope you too have a good day and I also hope I see more photos of yours in this forum in the future. Take care Terry.

You didn't need the extra help, but your place is heaven is now assured....

• Like 2

Thank you for my spot...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Not liking some of the bad attitudes being thrown around here. It’s just a camera forum ffs.

I don’t own a Q just yet waiting till photokina to see if there will be a hardware upgrade or not. 24mp is good enough for me, 35mm film roughly translates to 20mp and film wasn’t done in by digital because of image quality but rather convenience.

I believe that once you get into the 42mp + range you’re producing images that are more hyper realistic than documentary and there’s nothing wrong with that it’s just different. But getting back to hardware I’m hoping there will be weather sealed 50mm option but I’ll take weather sealing first.

• Like 4

I specifically chose a camera that took 24MP photos. Why?

1. 24MP is good enough for me

2. I don’t want to deal with slow load, copy and processing times in post

3. Not interested in dealing with backing up such large amounts of space

For me it was a very intentional decision and one that I never look back on.

• Like 2

My guess is they will stick with 28mm lens bump the resolution with a new sensor Higher ISO ,Megapixels, ETC and a larger bigger EVF.  The 28mm with a larger seniors can crop into 35mm and 50mm pretty easy if you have a larger sensor so it seems easy for them go that route. Only guessing here.

I'm sure that's exactly what's gonna happen. 

Would love it if they managed to get the lens down to 1.4, however, without a significant increase in size. 

My guess is they will stick with 28mm lens bump the resolution with a new sensor Higher ISO ,Megapixels, ETC and a larger bigger EVF.  The 28mm with a larger seniors can crop into 35mm and 50mm pretty easy if you have a larger sensor so it seems easy for them go that route. Only guessing here.