jonatdonuts

Q2 is coming...

Unfortunately it won't be this year, mate. Hopefully 2019.

Here's hoping it arrives soon and drops the price on pre-owned Q's...I'm in the market for a Q...trying to patiently wait for a "deal" to pop up.

I just bought my Q few months back and have just got used to it. Wont change till Q3 is released. I am happy with 28mm. Only things I would have seen improved were ISO range, a higher resolution EVF/screen and 3 buttons at the back. Nothing more is required IMHO.

Q is a niche camera, Leica strategically devised it as a fixed lens one as otherwise it will cannibalise sales of M range. Putting different lenses over versioning would unsettle the existing users a bit as seeing world thru 28mm is different from seeing it thru 50mm. One gets used to a 28mm. Summilux is an excellent lens and if you buy it for an M body costs almost as much as a Q.

24 MP is in my opinion good enough as higher MP files require lot of resources and slow down things. M10 is 24MP so I don’t see Q coming with higher megapixels.

So what I foresee is some minor changes only in Q2, nothing major.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought my Q few months back and have just got used to it. Wont change till Q3 is released. I am happy with 28mm. Only things I would have seen improved were ISO range, a higher resolution EVF/screen and 3 buttons at the back. Nothing more is required IMHO.

Q is a niche camera, Leica strategically devised it as a fixed lens one as otherwise it will cannibalise sales of M range. Putting different lenses over versioning would unsettle the existing users a bit as seeing world thru 28mm is different from seeing it thru 50mm. One gets used to a 28mm. Summilux is an excellent lens and if you buy it for an M body costs almost as much as a Q.

24 MP is in my opinion good enough as higher MP files require lot of resources and slow down things. M10 is 24MP so I don’t see Q coming with higher megapixels.

So what I foresee is some minor changes only in Q2, nothing major.

I agree with you about current 28mm lens being perfect, but since I already have Q and plan to keep the current version, I would for selfish reason want the next one to have 50mm (would have to seriously consider buying that one as well).

Other than that I agree with you about other features, with exception that weather sealing is one more critical thing that is missing right now. I would also like to see tilt LCD screen (would be easier for street photography to get close to people and take photos without them realizing you are not just messing around with your camera settings (while looking down and taking photos instead)

).

Leica sure could risk a little and make a companion for Q (like with a 50mm lens) instead of entirely replace it. Right now it 'd  make sense because Q hasn't gone obsolete in hardly any way. Then again, my wallet says "no thanks"

Leica sure could risk a little and make a companion for Q (like with a 50mm lens) instead of entirely replace it. Right now it 'd  make sense because Q hasn't gone obsolete in hardly any way. Then again, my wallet says "no thanks"

A Q2 with an alternate focal length to serve as a companion to the original is probably what I'd most like to see. I'd favour a 50mm or a unique 40mm lens on a new model. Perhaps two new models would be ideal, a new Q28 with the same lens but with whatever refined button layout Leica might be working on (and some weather sealing wouldn't be too much to ask for the price), but then alongside it you could have a new focal length model as well. I know many lust for a 35mm, but I feel there would be more variety if they offered a 40mm or 50mm given how well the existing Q crops down to 35, and I say that having never been a cropping fan.

Edited by db24fps

Dan. Your photos are already extraordinary. You dont need a #2Q. ;-)

I disagree. Everyone needs a Q - even non Leica shooters.

A Q2 with an alternate focal length to serve as a companion to the original is probably what I'd most like to see. I'd favour a 50mm or a unique 40mm lens on a new model. Perhaps two new models would be ideal, a new Q28 with the same lens but with whatever refined button layout Leica might be working on (and some weather sealing wouldn't be too much to ask for the price), but then alongside it you could have a new focal length model as well. I know many lust for a 35mm, but I feel there would be more variety if they offered a 40mm or 50mm given how well the existing Q crops down to 35, and I say that having never been a cropping fan.

Q 90. Then you could shoot weddings with two cameras which weigh nothing much and have the same battery. 

I disagree. Everyone needs a Q - even non Leica shooters.

My bad. I thought Dan was joking about adding another Q and having two. I did not realize he was Q-less right now. Of course everyone needs a Q.

My bad. I thought Dan was joking about adding another Q and having two. I did not realize he was Q-less right now. Of course everyone needs a Q.

Since getting the pair of Sony A9, I sold the Leica Q to help fund a Hasselblad X1D

Then recently I decided to get the 28mm f2.0 for the A9, to get me close to what I had in the Leica Q (as all my lenses are large 1.4 primes or zooms)... and it just is not the same - image quality and size/handling

So I do miss the Leica Q, but having been made redundant I'm not going to buy it until I get a photography business up and running - and by that point Leica Q2 will probably be available

There's a temptation to sell the XCD 30mm to fund a Leica Q .. and to run it alongside my X1D + 90mm for travel and pleasure..hmmm!!

Edited by dancook

Does anyone think (besides fantasizing about, which we all do...) that Leica can produce the same form factor Q with a significantly longer focal lens? Or, even if it could, that it would be to Leica's advantage, in that it would draw customers away from its SL/CL/TL group--which are far more profitable for Leica in that one generally also purchases multiple lenses for it?

Perhaps. But I think the current Q is a one-off at this point. Clearly, all the noise on this board has been for a SL2 with a smaller form factor and maybe (but maybe not) a bigger sensor, which may well be what's coming next. 

Edited by bags27

Does anyone think (besides fantasizing about, which we all do...) that Leica can produce the same form factor Q with a significantly longer focal lens? Or, even if it could, that it would be to Leica's advantage, in that it would draw customers away from its SL/CL/TL group--which are far more profitable for Leica in that one generally also purchases multiple lenses for it?

Perhaps. But I think the current Q is a one-off at this point. Clearly, all the noise on this board has been for a SL2 with a smaller form factor and maybe (but maybe not) a bigger sensor, which may well be what's coming next. 

You could be right, at least as far as the CL and TL market is concerned. The SL, even if a revision came with a smaller form factor, is always going to have its hefty af lenses so I don't think the smaller form factor of a Q would eat into the SL's market if a new Q happened to have a longer focal length. The thing is, aside from lack of weather sealing, I don't know what there is about the Q (that's significant) that begs for a update if we are to assume a new model would maintain the 28mm lens. That lens doesn't need improving, so I suppose the sensor would be the key upgrade, but even then the current sensor holds up rather well even several years after launch, and 24MP remains a great sweet spot for resolution so I'm not sure there's much argument to go higher there either. AF improvements? Sure, one would expect that, but how much better would it be over the excellent performance the Q already has? I'm not sure there could be enough of an improvement to make many of us upgrade, so an incremental 28mm update may not even be in Leica's interest from a sales perspective. Instead enticing existing owners to want to hold onto their current models and own a revision with a longer focal length to serve as a companion camera may make more sense, and while the CL and TL fill an aps-c hole for so called "pocket" cameras in Leica's family, I still think there's room for growth somehow on the full frame front (especially as Nikon and Canon expand the mirrorless ff market).  Could they retain the form factor with a longer focal length lux? I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled it off. 

Edited by db24fps

I would never be shocked; I would be very surprised if a longer lens could be fitted AND retain the present form factor.

Edited by wda

I think the form would change to accommodate such a revision, but how significantly and by how many more mm who knows? I'm continually impressed by what engineers manage to pull off with modern technology. 

The flipside to the argument for of course remains the question of whether there is sufficient demand for a longer focal length Q outside of our bubble. 35mm is a sweet spot, certainly, but I've really come to embrace the 28mm and I'm not hesitant about a 35mm crop with the lens/sensor combo either. As a travel camera it is really quite versatile and I'm often grateful to have such a wide angle to capture environments (even when on the streets locally). 

Speak for yourself, I would sooner jump to a 75mm rather than a 50. Don

Speak for yourself, I would sooner jump to a 75mm rather than a 50. Don

which is why I'm thinking rebuying the Q would make a perfect companion for the X1D with 90mm

28+71

I’ve come really close to buying a Q multiple times, but the 28mm lens always holds me back. Make the Q2 lens a 35mm f/2 in similar size and I’d buy it in a heartbeat.