Q2 is coming...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I bought my Q in Leica store (NYC) couple of months ago, their employee speculated that the new one should be coming "soon" and that it's likely to have 40mm or 50mm lens.

That’d be incredible. I really like the Q, but would love it with a 40mm or 50mm lens. I’d buy one for certain.

That’d be incredible. I really like the Q, but would love it with a 40mm or 50mm lens. I’d buy one for certain.

Now that I have and love the 28 Q I would probably also buy the 50 (or longer) in addition. It's interesting that even though I have been reading about people wanting to move to M after they get the Q, for me that's not the case at all (unless new M would come out with EVF and could somehow work with those small M lenses - but that's apparently not possible, if it must have AF as well). So it seems like the next best thing to cover the longer focal range could be another version of Q (still overall would be a very small travel package with two very high quality FF cameras - not bad to have a 'backup'  body anyhow ;)).

• Like 3

not so much interested in another fixed focal length.

how about sticking the SL 24-90 zoom on a Q? That would clean up all the marbles.

To me any lens (or overall camera/lens) combo that's bigger than the Q (or maybe up to M size with M lenses, or something like X1D) is too big. That's why I switched from Canon in the first place - I liked those great L lenses as far as IQ, but ended up leaving them (and SLR's) at home most of the time because of size and weight.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To all those quoting inside info from their local Leica store, do you not think that Leica's NDA's would apply to them even more so than to the beta testers that will be using the camera (assuming it does actually exist) right now?

I was also surprised at how openly they speculated about future Q. But thinking back to that conversation, they really started speculating after I told them I was particularly excited about the current 28mm version (and that I wanted to get it while still available in case some future version changes to longer focal length) ;).

• 2 months later...

50mm would be great. 35mm true 1.4 would be awesome if it went for the same price. The M version is quite steep in price nowadays...

To remain compact with a 35mm or 50mm fixed lens, that lens would have to be a compact not-so-fast lens, such as Summarit or Elmar. Remember that AF needs to be in-built.

I'm eagerly awaiting any news on a Q2. My Q is my favorite camera that I've ever owned - by a long shot. There's a part of me though that hopes they don't change the lens. The wide 28mm lens has really grown on me. However if they did somehow release a version with a 35mm 1.4 - I would pay *any amount of money for it...

Edited by hcklr
  • Like 3

I'm so happy with the Q they way it is. I doubt that I'd upgrade.

If it came with weather-sealing, 4K video, and a 36+MP sensor with 1-2 stops of extra DR and high ISO performance, maybe.

A longer focal length would only decrease the versatility (cropability) of the Q imo.

• Like 2

If they managed to keep the lens size manageable I think a Q2 35mm 1.4 with M10 (equivalent or better) sensor would sell like hotcakes. 

Absolte dream.

I'm eagerly awaiting any news on a Q2. My Q is my favorite camera that I've ever owned - by a long shot. There's a part of me though that hopes they don't change the lens. The wide 28mm lens has really grown on me. However if they did somehow release a version with a 35mm 1.4 - I would pay *any amount of money for it...

• Like 1