Q2 is coming...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm sure that's exactly what's gonna happen. 

Would love it if they managed to get the lens down to 1.4, however, without a significant increase in size. 

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that they need to up the sensor MP especially since Leica goes so long between model upgrades. The 24MP is still acceptable to some but quickly going to be a thing of yesteryear. Even if they do bump it to 42 or 48 the rest of the Camera world will soon be at 60-80MP and Leica will still be behind the curve. Heck I expect 150MP medium format point fixed lens cameras within a year, most likely Sony.

I had two Q's and if they did have a sensor in the 40+MP I probably would not have sold them and of course improve AF and bring the rest of the camera up to the latest tech.

Edited by trstahly

I so very deeply regret having bought my Q. Although I use it constantly to the point that it's the only camera I travel with, and friends and family appreciate my photography, the thought that some other cameras have more megapixels and an entire stop more of dynamic range has made me very sad. Even though I don't print pictures large enough to reveal such terrible deficiency, the mere thought that I might someday do so causes me sleepless nights. And even though I also carefully considered a more powerful Sony but didn't like its ergomatics or its interface and thought I wouldn't have nearly as much fun with it, my attorney says I probably have a winnable case against Leica for tempting me to buy its inferior product.

And now you say that medium format cameras will have 150 megapixels within a year. That means in two years, 250 megapixels. That means 5 gig files. That means I need my own cloud server. That means in 5 years only Jeff Bezos will have enough memory to use a camera. I think I may have to learn to to be happy with my Q....

Edited by bags27
  • Like 14

I am always amused to read blogs wishing and wanting more MPs.  More MPs in the grand scheme of things, mean little.  Leica clearly knows this too.  I easily create fine art prints for my clients 48"X 72" and even murals with the M10 and before that with the SL.  When I owned the Leica S system, the billboard size prints were often deemed fine art quality.  What some photographers seem to miss is the content of the photograph and real art photography that causes one to stop, think and feel.  If the photograph doesn't do that IMO, it is merely a photograph. If the photograph that one creates, can give the viewer a sense of feeling...then IMO, you have created a real masterpiece, regardless of brand of camera, sensor size and number of MPs.  

r/ Mark 

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 4

I think that FF for some is the wrong sensor size. Definitely. And for others APS-C (the CL) is the right sensor size. And for others Olympus is the right sensor size.

What about the marvellous Leica lenses?

For me it's the other way around when it comes to sensors - only FF i I am completely happy with and I did try both APS-C and four third cameras but found the IQ and the "look" lacking comparing to my Canon FF dslr. On the other hand, I'm sure based on the files I have seen on the internet that I would love the X1D sensor ;).

Having said that, I agree with you 100% that Leica lenses are marvellous which is why I went with the Q to get the best of both worlds (FF and one of the best Leica lenses in the smallest package available)

Edited by tgdinamo

I am always amused to read blogs wishing and wanting more MPs.  More MPs in the grand scheme of things, mean little.  Leica clearly knows this too.  I easily create fine art prints for my clients 48"X 72" and even murals with the M10 and before that with the SL.  When I owned the Leica S system, the billboard size prints were often deemed fine art quality.  What some photographers seem to miss is the content of the photograph and real art photography that causes one to stop, think and feel.  If the photograph doesn't do that IMO, it is merely a photograph. If the photograph that one creates, can give the viewer a sense of feeling...then IMO, you have created a real masterpiece, regardless of brand of camera, sensor size and number of MPs.  

r/ Mark 

Agreed that goes without saying the man behind the camera is the critical factor. But with 42-48MP it does make the Q a much more versatile camera by being better able to use a 35mm and 50mm crop mode. One cannot always use their feet which is why their are dozens of lenses to choose from. Also when downsampling from higher rez sensors the resulting images are cleaner, exhibit less noise and look sharper. I fail to see how with of these things get in the way of a creating a masterpiece. Not everything has to be on the cutting edge but a three year old AF system and other not to mention 24mp sensor is due for an upgrade. A of enhancements have been made in the camera world during that time. Three years today is not like three years ten years ago.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unlike many others in this forum, I participate in many alpha- and beta- testing programs...

My Image Taker: The "Q100" features a 24mm f0.95 Noctilux lens mated to a 100mp sensor.

Fantastic cropping here!  

FL - 24 @ 100mp

FL - 50 @ 50mp

FL - 90 @ 24mp

Now the downside: IQ with this new sensor: Monochrome is chartreuse & purple - with horrid chromatic distortion showing as yellow...  but an alpha plug-in for LR converts to great B&W Monochrome.

My Processor: Alpha model Apple iMac 12k 36"

32BG memory, 8TB SSD, Intel iCore18 with 12 cores -- wow this sucker is fast BUT I am not happy with the internal two slice toaster.

Now the downsides: The toaster will not accommodate bagels.  And it will not get sufficiently hot for good toast if processing those measly 24mp images from my old-fashioned Q1!

Full disclosure... I am really very happy with my Leica Q and my iMac 27" -- as for the rest of this nonsensical posting:

I don't know what someone put into my bong last night, but woowsaaaaa!

Yes, this is total mule droppings -- quite in keeping with some of the postings by a few trolls.

• Like 7

Unlike many others in this forum, I participate in many alpha- and beta- testing programs...

My Image Taker: The "Q100" features a 24mm f0.95 Noctilux lens mated to a 100mp sensor.

Fantastic cropping here!  

FL - 24 @ 100mp

FL - 50 @ 50mp

FL - 90 @ 24mp

Now the downside: IQ with this new sensor: Monochrome is chartreuse & purple - with horrid chromatic distortion showing as yellow...  but an alpha plug-in for LR converts to great B&W Monochrome.

32BG memory, 8TB SSD, Intel iCore18 with 12 cores -- wow this sucker is fast BUT I am not happy with the internal two slice toaster.

Now the downsides: The toaster will not accommodate bagels.  And it will not get sufficiently hot for good toast if processing those measly 24mp images from my old-fashioned Q1!

Full disclosure... I am really very happy with my Leica Q and my iMac 27" -- as for the rest of this nonsensical posting:

Yes, this is total mule droppings -- quite in keeping with some of the postings by a few trolls.

to paraphrase one of my favorite movies  "i'll have what he is having"

Edited by prk60091
  • Like 3

Say and think what you wish there a lot of people who would prefer 42MP or even more for extending the usefulness of a $4,500 fixed lens camera. Being able to crop to 35MP and still have the same IQ as the 28mm does not would interest quite a few folks. Not everyone thinks like Leica owners and is willing to lay down $5,000 with tax and a grip etc. for a fixed lens 24MP camera. 

I found the camera on the large side and would just as soon take my a7rIII not much difference so it flat did not make any sense.

I just sold my Snoy RX1R II awaiting the new camera Ziess is releasing and if it is not what I want will wait for the RX1R III or simply use my a7rIII or a9. It is not a camera style I cannnot live with out plus I still have the RX1R with it's 24MP that I use as a point and shoot since it has a flash which blows away any new point and shoot on the market and gives me full frame and an better IQ with its 24MP than any 1" or even APS-C on the market and you can pick them up for a grand.

Say and think what you wish there a lot of people who would prefer 42MP or even more for extending the usefulness of a $4,500 fixed lens camera. Being able to crop to 35MP and still have the same IQ as the 28mm does not would interest quite a few folks. Not everyone thinks like Leica owners and is willing to lay down $5,000 with tax and a grip etc. for a fixed lens 24MP camera. 

I found the camera on the large side and would just as soon take my a7rIII not much difference so it flat did not make any sense.

I just sold my Snoy RX1R II awaiting the new camera Ziess is releasing and if it is not what I want will wait for the RX1R III or simply use my a7rIII or a9. It is not a camera style I cannnot live with out plus I still have the RX1R with it's 24MP that I use as a point and shoot since it has a flash which blows away any new point and shoot on the market and gives me full frame and an better IQ with its 24MP than any 1" or even APS-C on the market and you can pick them up for a grand.

À chacun son goût

• Like 4

Fantastic cropping here!  

FL - 24 @ 100mp

FL - 50 @ 50mp

FL - 90 @ 24mp

What a wonderful post -- it's the combination of your guitar and camera love that give you such great insight...

Edited by OR120
  • Like 1

Fantastic cropping here!  

FL - 24 @ 100mp

FL - 50 @ 50mp

FL - 90 @ 24mp

Loved it... but why stop at 90mm crop! I want it to be birding camera as well. :D

In my native land there is a saying that I am paraphrasing here... If you are dreaming of Dom Perignon then why skip on caviar!