JPG vs RAW Colors

TrickyMrT

Certainly true.

But if your creative instincts want to get you to Paris, it helps to know where you are starting from (London? New York? Tokyo? Rio?). Calibrating for one's camera's idiosyncracies gives one a "Prime Meridian" from which to get to other places. If your goal is a given red, it helps to know if your camera's default palette tends to cadmium red, or alizarin crimson, or permanent rose.

https://sites.google.com/site/scienceofcolour/best-red-pigments-for-painting

• Like 1

If I was copying art I would want full colour management and accuracy, if I was making art I would want to use my eyes and brain.

That's fine IF everyone actually colour manages in the same way, but they don't unfortunately. Since its impossible to reproduce colours absolutely accurately the best that can be hoped for is that the artist is happy with the closeness of the reproduction compared to the original. I use colour charts and all the rest, check everything as tightly as possible, but once a file goes elsewhere I have no absolute control over what someone else does with it. I actually use a very good printer myself if possible, whom I know produces great and accurate prints and the results from this printer show a clear understanding of good colour management. Not everyone does though despite their claims.