Do you regret selling lenses & do you buy on absolute condition?

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1 on the 50 Summilux ASPH, which I also sold and bought back years later

Regretted selling a TE 90 (thin type) which I also bought back in the end (in this case not really a regret as the new version is newer and cleaner), such a tiny lens to put in your pocket when ... "you never know"

Do not regret selling the 35 cron ASPH as I never bonded with it, the Elmarit 28 ASPH (v1) since I like the new Summaron better and the 90 Cron APO (which I found too heavy/long on an M for enjoyable use)

Edited by Fedro

Current setup

16-18-21 WATE

35/1.4 FLE

50/1.4 ASPH

50/0.95 NOCTILUX

90 ELMARIT

Regret

WATE - repurchased

CV21/1.8 - will repurchase eventually

Do not Regret

CV15/4.5 and 21 SEM - Too limiting, replaced by WATE

CV35/1.2 and 35/1.4 Distagon - Too much finder blockage, replaced by 35 FLE

50/1.5 Sonnar - Focus shift, replaced by 50/1.4 ASPH and 50/0.95 Noctilux

50/2 Cron v3 - poorly constructed copy with wobble and loose rings

90AA - Too big for limited use, replaced by 90 Elmarit

Considering

28 Elmarit V2 or 28 Summicron V2

75AA or CV75/1.8

Recently sold a WATE and my 1957 50mm 'Rigid', both in great condition. This leaves me with 9 current version M lenses, 2 older Ms (35 & a 50) and several 1950s LTM lenses from Canon and Zeiss. Oh, and a surprising good 5cm Industrar that came with a FED.

I will also sell my chrome 35 Summicron (switched to using my 28s more) and my 90 Macro-Elmar with the new adapter. (just do not do close-up macro stuff like I imagined I might. And, I prefer the 90 Elmarit-M with my M10.)

I only sell a lens if I do not bond or actually use it. These sales fund the purchase of other lenses, usually used, but with immaculate glass.

I have ended up with so many lenses because when I get really curious about one I buy it. Having it to use for an extended time is the only way I know to find out if you need or bond with a lens. Borrowing one for a day or renting is OK but, for me, it takes more time. Judicious purchases often mean you do not lose a boatload of money when it is time to sell up.

For many, many years I only had a 35 (versions 2 and then 3) and a 50 (versions 3 and then 4). When I sold all my Nikon stuff about 5 years ago I converted that money into more Leica gear and, apparently, forgot to stop buying!

I pretty much have everything I need in modern lenses at this point:

21 SEM

28 Lux

28 Elmarit-M ASPH II

35 Summicron chrome (will go on the block eventually)

50 Lux

75 Lux

75 APO

90 Elmarit-M chrome (heavy but beautiful rendering)

90 Macro-Elmar-M (will be sold)

If I buy anything else it will probably be a 50 APO for my M246 as I have sold the 1957 'Rigid'. I do not care for the 50 APO on my M10 despite everyone else's raves.

Have come close to buying a 50 Noctilux but it would be such a specialty lens for me, so not necessary. I like using lenses for more than their bokeh potential! (Yes, yes, I know, there is more to it than that.)

• Like 1