Do you regret selling lenses & do you buy on absolute condition?

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In another thread there was the suggestion that selling a lens (particularly Leica) is something which will be regretted. I have to say that this does not fit my personal experience. I've bought and sold a rather large number of lenses over the years which I don't regret. To be specific these were:

24/2.8 Elmarit-M, 28/2 Summicron, 28/2.8 Elmarit (3rd version), 35/2 Summicron (v.4), 35/2.5 Summarit-M, 50/1.4 Summilux-M (pre-aspheric), 50/2 Summicron-M (various versions), 50/2.8 black (ie last version) Elmar-M, 90/2 Summicron (several) and 135/4.5 Tele-Elmarit-M

I've sold and regretted three lenses:

21/3.4 Super-Angulon-M, 35/2 Summicron (v.1) & 90/2.8 Elmarit-M

which I've re-bought at a little cost (but not too much :)).

I've also tried the 16/18/21 WATE and the 75/2.5 Summarit, both of which I liked but not enough to buy. And the 21/1.4 - its on the list to buy but not until I can afford one and I see one in sufficiently used condition :o.

On balance though by buying and selling I've actually ended up with a great set of lenses at less than I would have paid if I'd bought them without buying and selling the others because most had increased in cost by the time I realised I wasn't keen on them and sold them - so I did well on selling.

I don't think that you can have too many lenses to an extent but too many duplicates don't do it for me so I have sufficient but not too many lenses now. Most are clean but some are well used and I've bought several because they were quite simply too cheap to pass on. Cosmetic and even some optical issues don't bother me as long as the lenses deliver the results I want ;). Same with hoods and filters - dents and blemishes are par for the course although I have a few 'spares' bought when found at very reasonable prices.

I have my suspicions that buying into Leica can actually be not all that expensive if you are prepared to look around, wait and buy gear that's taken all of its devaluation already.

Does anybody else have thoughts onselling/buying/condition of gear? 

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1

No, after buying and selling other lenses in the Leica line-up, I have no regrets with moving on from them. Multiple versions of lenses in the same focal length is redundant and often leads to an accumulation of unused gear that's better off being sold along and using those finances to buy something that suits you better. My 50mm Summilux type 2 from that thread was purchased quite cheaply for Leica gear and selling it along would net me a profit. I find that often buying a selling gear is all a part of this and knowing when to let go is a valuable skill. The worst thing is a camera or lens sitting on shelf  being unused.

You kind of have to experiment to find the right kit for you.

Edited by Chubkins
  • Like 2

Not if you are a collector. See https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/257977-summar-5cm-variations/?p=3504229. Being a collector is 'allowed' on this forum.

William

I suspect that with Leica collecting there is an element of the researching detective required - I can see the fascination. Equally I understand that different lenses (including those of the same focal length) can be desirable in themselves as a fusion of the art and science of lens making and many are technical marvels in their own right. Lenses can have quite an ethereal visual attraction simply because they achieve an end result by using beautifully curved glass which can change its reflections depending on its coatings and the light used for viewing.

I do admit to being fascinated by lenses and I am in awe of those people who used to produce lenses by hand polishing - to extraordinary accuracies too. "Prism & Lens Making" by Twyman is a real insight into how lenses used to be made and I wonder if any/many Leica lenses of the 1920/30s were hand polished?

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1

Someone with a genuine interest and passion for the items collected rather than just seeing them as an investment.

I'd venture to guess most people occupy both in their headspace. Monetary value is intrinsically linked with collecting. Trying to segregate the collecting community by saying one is "real" is a disservice to the community at large. 

Someone with a genuine interest and passion for the items collected rather than just seeing them as an investment.

That seems to be the best definition of the term 'real collector' that I have heard so far. In view of post #9 above, it is worth noting that this definition does not exclude seeing the collected items as an investment.

Cheers, Andy

• Like 2

... it is worth noting that this definition does not exclude seeing the collected items as an investment.

Absolutely, which is why I wrote "rather than just seeing them as an investment." which seems to have been missed by others than yourself  :)

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1

That seems to be the best definition of the term 'real collector' that I have heard so far. In view of post #9 above, it is worth noting that this definition does not exclude seeing the collected items as an investment.

Cheers, Andy

It may not exclude it but implying that someone is just in it for the investment is disingenuous and I'd venture to guess the overwhelming majority occupy both spaces as investment and joy of collecting. I get it though, when people can't afford to collect in a hobby they enjoy, they often become reactionary rot seeing what others have or what items sell for. Basically, no one here is giving away their valuable possessions for the sake of collecting. They buy and sell to enhance their collection and monetary value is intrinsic to this.

My prefered condition for a used lens is: cosmetic wear, but optically and operationally fine.

I always take ages before deciding a purchase. I hardly ever regret a purchase or want to sell the stuff again.

Cosmetic wear can often be attractive. Interesting it works that way. Depending on what kind though, lol.

Selling, regretting and rebuying make lenses more valuable to me because I've learned about their benefits for me. 50 Summicron 2nd Version is one of them I frequently enjoy using - and that's lenses are made for, even if one collects them. An upgrade on condition helps when rebuying because prices go up normaly.

Selling, regretting and rebuying make lenses more valuable to me because I've learned about their benefits for me. 50 Summicron 2nd Version is one of them I frequently enjoy using - and that's lenses are made for, even if one collects them. An upgrade on condition helps when rebuying because prices go up normaly.

Yeah, it's definitely part of the process for me too.

Monetary value is intrinsically linked with collecting. 

For me monetary value only comes into the equation when I buy. I am not a seller and I don't collect for investment purposes, even though the fact that Leica lenses hold their value gives me a certain sense of security. There are some who say that one should never sell a Leica lens. There have been instances of 'seller's remorse' shown on this forum. Its a big world, though, and their is room for everyone in the Leica camera/lens 'world'. Each to his own etc.

I suspect that with Leica collecting there is an element of the researching detective required - I can see the fascination. Equally I understand that different lenses (including those of the same focal length) can be desirable in themselves as a fusion of the art and science of lens making and many are technical marvels in their own right. Lenses can have quite an ethereal visual attraction simply because they achieve an end result by using beautifully curved glass which can change its reflections depending on its coatings and the light used for viewing.

I do admit to being fascinated by lenses and I am in awe of those people who used to produce lenses by hand polishing - to extraordinary accuracies too. "Prism & Lens Making" by Twyman is a real insight into how lenses used to be made and I wonder if any/many Leica lenses of the 1920/30s were hand polished?

Thanks Paul. The craft of machine polishing also goes back a long way. You may remember my article about the 19th Century Grubb lenses made in Dublin; I have two of them. The machine for polishing the lenses from the late 19th Century travelled a long way to Newcastle as part of the Grubb Parsons firm. Even after the firm ceased to exist, the machinery continued to be used into the late 20th century. It can be seen in this BBC film here  

The instructions from Rathmines in Dublin can be seen here, as is the obvious love for their craft shown by the lens makers. The next time you are in Dublin give me a shout and we can go to see the two locations where these lenses were made. 

William

• Like 4