Focus ring stiff, clicks and jumps

Guest NaterallyWicious

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The focus ring on the lens feels quite stiff, particularly around the mid point. Also, sometimes it focuses sometimes not - the focus rectangle in the centre sometimes shifts back and forth to focus, but sometimes just stays static. This seems to happen when a click is heard during the focus travel. When I take a photo when it is in this state the whole frame - focus rectangle and frame lines - jump, then it starts focusing again.  Is this the lens or the camera?

Both potentially. If I had to guess at what the problem is, I would suspect it to actually be 'damage'. A stiff focus ring at one point suggests a tight helicoid which in my experience is a classic sign of a dropped lens. And to me a jumping rangefinder mechanism also suggests potential impact damage because it sounds like something is tight at some point and then releasing suddenly; its the sort of problem I would personally associate with a drop. The camera and lens may show little or no sign of a drop though - an M8 slipped out of my camera bag years ago onto concrete a metre below. Once I'd removed the shattered filter you would not have been able to tell. Leica had to rebuild the lens (tight helicoid £500 - insurance paid) and checked and adjusted the body for free (it rattled but was nothing significant apparently). Having used Canons, Nikons and Leicas professionally for many years I would say that my Leicas are as robust and viable to use as any other cameras but ALL cameras are subject to damage if abused. Send it back and accept that this time you've been unfortunate - don't think its the Leica though because Leica produces perfectly serviceable cameras and lenses.

• Like 1

I have bought numerous used cameras - film and digital - in the past and never once had any issue. I spend £4.5k on a Leica and it doesn't work. How do you expect me to react? Do I conclude that all Leicas are garbage? Of course not. Does this experience enhance my view of Leica? Of course not.

Did you buy from a reputable Leica dealer or not? Simple question.

If so, return it. Also simple.

If not, is that Leica’s fault? Always best to buy with warranty (and personal insurance), with any brand.

Not snarky.... just asking.

Jeff

• Like 1

Yes, and I agree and I appreciate the people who made that point politely. I am baffled and saddened that some people use it as an opportunity to make childish snarky comments. 

Thanks, folks. I'll be returning the lens and the camera, to be on the safe side. To be honest, this has soured me on Leica in a major way. I know any camera (or lens) by any manufacturer can have its faults, but having spent years building up to this purchase, I'm minded now to stick with my Nikons. For such expensive gear, the Leicas don't seem that well made or reliable. I need something that I know won't break down on me. The Leica is a lovely object to own and hold, but just doesn't cut it in practical terms. 

I would offer an insight/personal opinion here based on a few years membership in this forum myself. By and large the forum members are enthusiasts, users and sometimes supporters of Leica Camera. When a new member's first posts are seen as negative and unreasonable as with your remarks here, you will likely find that people are less sympathetic. You might find too that people are less likely to engage with you in the future too.  Just my thoughts as a fellow member. I hope that you persist and find a faultless body and lens to learn with and enjoy.

• Like 6

Guest NaterallyWicious

I would offer an insight/personal opinion here based on a few years membership in this forum myself. By and large the forum members are enthusiasts, users and sometimes supporters of Leica Camera. When a new member's first posts are seen as negative and unreasonable as with your remarks here, you will likely find that people are less sympathetic. You might find too that people are less likely to engage with you in the future too.  Just my thoughts as a fellow member. I hope that you persist and find a faultless body and lens to learn with and enjoy.

Oh yeah, I get it: the fanbase don't like criticism. I may have been negative, but I certainly wasn't unreasonable. What on earth are you talking about? Geez.

Oh yeah, I get it: the fanbase don't like criticism. I may have been negative, but I certainly wasn't unreasonable. What on earth are you talking about? Geez.

hoppyman has given you a balanced and reasonable response, yet you don't seem at all happy with it?

The details of your purchase/trade in are still quite vague. Perhaps if you shared exactly how and where you purchased, we might be able to offer you advice on how to best manage the situation?

There is a significant body of experience here in buying, selling and trading Leica equipment. It's all accessible to you but it would help if we had the specifics.

I hope you can resolve the situation and go on to enjoy Leica ownership.

Ernst

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not successful in helping you then. Speaking only for myself the " fanbase" remark is unreasonable and impolite too.

• Like 2

You must have a lot of time on your hands if you can spare it to make comments like that. Maybe you should have a look "on line" for suggestions as to how you might more productively spend it?

You're very rude aren't you? You said  "I need something that I know won't break down on me". My point being that if you remove all moving parts then you're just left with user error to contend with.

I suggest you return the secondhand and damaged camera and lens you bought for a refund, assuming you can do that, and find yourself this unbreakable camera you're after. Unreasonable moaning on here isn't going to help you.

In general: On this forum we try and be friendly and respectful. Apart from friendly banter and joking, a confrontational tone of discussion is not the norm.

We can understand that new members coming from more violent parts of the Internet  need a short time to get used to having to conform to civilized social rules, but moderation will continue to maintain this standard strictly.

In other words: Ad-hominem and rude posts will be dealt with. Fighting is forbidden. Offending members will be notified or be warned officially. A third official warning will come with an automatic ban. The moderating team  reserves the right to ban a member without warning in severe cases or to stop a fight.

On a side-note. The moderators do thank our members for conforming to this norm to a very large extent, to the credit of this forum.

• Like 1

Guest NaterallyWicious

This is a farce. How anyone can seriously argue that a comment suggesting "maybe you should try a pinhole camera.." was a serious, helpful answer to my post beggars belief. It was a snarky, rude, childish and provocative comment, typical of the sort of passive aggressive trolling people indulge in online, and then when they do provoke a response they say "oh how rude" etc. 

>Unreasonable moaning on here isn't going to help you.

I was neither unreasonable, nor moaning. 

>Achieving one warning point in only 9 posts says it all IMO.

I know, I'm very naughty aren't I?! 

>Nor is attempts at genuine help and advice.

There is just no helping me, is there? If only I were more like you...

Anyway fee free to give me some more "warnings", accuse me of being from the "violent part of the internet", etc. I won't be back. Plonkers.

• Like 1