Leica M4 with unusual serial number

That is a 1963 M3 number. Can you post a photograph of the camera? I am not aware of the existence of fake M4 cameras, so there is most likely another explanation.

Like: the top was replaced at some point and the wrong number engraved.

Hello, I purchased a Leica M4 with a serial number I cannot locate online. Can someone please help me identify if the following serial number is genuine?

M4-1082762

With below engravings;

Leica

DBP

ERNST LEITZ GMBH

WETZLAR GERMANY

Thank you.

1.082.762 ?  Looks  to be within this batch, from several sources :

1080001 1085000 Leica Leicaflex (1-chrom+black) 1964-1965 5000  (*)

(it's the first batch of the first Leicaflex : so a "targeted" range by historicians...  ;)  I take it as good)

"aliene" items within a certain published range of s/n  are far from rare : but M4 was introduced definitely later...

(*) Jaap, maybe you read 1082 and searched 1028... ;) 

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Hello Everybody,

While 1182762 (Instead of 1082762) is a 1967 M4 number. Both in chrome & in black.

Best Regards,

Michael

I believe the explanation is the most sensible one : an engraving error. When checking the serials of the numerous M4 I had in my Fontenelle collection, I discovered my oldest one came from the very first batch (nº1177017), the following one in the 11xx series being the nº1191488.

Hello Everyone, I can't see anywhere to attach a photo so, please see refer to the below dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cmvpcu8q5mv51qg/AADrwFw4ilFEHKGpkDwVl8vla?dl=0

Regards,
Michael

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaapv
Images added

Michael, very nice M4. And indeed it seems that an engraving error is the explanation for the serial number. Even more important: your M4 seems to be (cosmetically at least) in a very nice condition and it is a wonderful camera to work with. have fun with it!

Lex

Thanks for the picture : a fine M4 with a wrong s/n.... and Pecole's explanation is the most reasonable : unless some Forum member displays his 1182762 M4 :p ... let's say that the mech pantograph used for engraving had an hiccup... QC didn't care of... ;) and 1182762 probably never existed.

Btw, items with "errors" enjoy a certain interest for collectors (don't know if someone of the breed has a specialized collection of such oddities... but why not ?) so treat it with care.

Hi Luigi and Lex, thank you very much! Yes, it certainly is a lovely M4. I plan to look after it very well considering it's my first Leica. I won it on an eBay auction and apparently it was a grandfathers camera which was sitting in a draw. The slow shutter speeds (under 1/30th) are inconsistent so one day I'll probably have it CLA’D. It's nice to know a have something a little unique. Thank you again everyone, you were all very helpful.

Michael, I would advice to get the CLA soon rather than late. When the camera hasn't been used for years it is usually wise to have it checked and get new lubrications instead of older ones that are probably drying out. 

Lex

• 2 years later...

Yes... in statistical terms is a 0,1% chance... regardless of body model, of course... but in the collectors' community those are known as "fine numbers" (*) and usually bring a bit of added value... 😎

(*) but also .999 or .666 (aka "beasty") ... 😁... and others like 1.232.323... 🙄  Lens numbered 1.000.000 (a Summarit, iirc)  went to a Leitz family person... 

my M2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2