M Mount Lenses with Character

JTLeica

Every single M mount lens on the planet has character.

Right!

Today I had only my Summaron 2,8/35 with me and my M10.

Beside others, this lens is incredible sharp!

@f2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Every single M mount lens on the planet has character.

If they all have character then character becomes meaningless; all lenses have character.

We are looking for outliers.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Depends on what you’re looking for.

Not every photog sees the same way.

Relativism is a cop-out. At some point ambivalence must be scored in order to move on. Let's move on.

Edited by pico

Hi JT,

Some years ago, I was tossing up between the f/1 and f/0.95 Noctiluxes. I went for the 0.95 as the f/1 I was looking at was still very expensive, it had focus shift (like all f/1 Nocts) and for some reason the swirly bokeh made me feel rather ill - I wasn’t sure I could control it. So, I bought the more modern ASPH version, but that wild swirly bokeh still had me intrigued.

A bit of research, and I found a 50 Summitar f/2 LTM collapsible from 1948 in good condition at a reasonable price. This lens is a pre-war design and comes in a number of versions. Some had no coating, others had coating issues. Mine is a 1948 vintage, with coating and with a nine(?) blade round aperture.

If you want character, this lens has it in spades ...

• Like 1

Relativism is a cop-out. At some point ambivalence must be scored in order to move on. Let's move on.

rel·a·tiv·ism

ˈrelədəˌvizəm/Submit

noun

the doctrine that knowledge, truth, and morality exist in relation to culture, society, or historical context, and are not absolute.

What's a good place to learn about the vintage M-mount Leica lenses?  I've done some searching without much success.  The new Summaron piqued my interest but it doesn't fit the budget.  I'd like to acquire a vintage M-mount lens.  Thanks

• Like 1

rel·a·tiv·ism

ˈrelədəˌvizəm/Submit

noun

the doctrine that knowledge, truth, and morality exist in relation to culture, society, or historical context, and are not absolute.

Exactly what is quoting a definition supposed to accomplish? Is the definition of relativity also relative? Dictionary citations are not logical or absolute anchors to meaning.

Arguments against perfect relativism do not imply absolute reality, truth, but do point to its possibility whereas a dictionary presumes finality.

Edited by pico

The prison here was closed and one of the features I remember was a dentist’s chair. Scattered all over the floor were packets of bromide pills. There was a plaque on the wall in the gatekeeper’s office which I thought was rather funny but can’t remember it and can’t figure out how to find out what it said. Something about punishment and reward in French. It’s now studio spaces and art galleries.

• Like 2

What's a good place to learn about the vintage M-mount Leica lenses?  I've done some searching without much success.  The new Summaron piqued my interest but it doesn't fit the budget.  I'd like to acquire a vintage M-mount lens.  Thanks

Good question - worth for its own thread in the forum IMO. I also looked this up earlier, and didn't find a good overview either. It is already hard enough to keep track of all the different M versions of a specific focal length, but it is even harder finding photos comparing the different versions and effects. Often you just get subjective statements like "this version is the bokeh king" for the 35/2 version IV which isn't even true. My rule of thumb: if budget is a limitation (and for most of us this is the case) rather go with an earlier version you can still afford and get for a good deal used. I personally stay away from the hyper modern M lenses (most of the ASPH ones) since they have their debits in combination with sensor stacks from other brands (Sony). One or two earlier versions are still excellent in quality and more suitable to be adapted on different cameras. For film, you can certainly go with older lens versions, too (which BTW might still work well on digital!). 

I just found a thread here in the German part of the Leica forum which shows photo examples taken with vintage lenses:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/283998-kaviar-objektive-der-vergangenen-tage/

Edited by Martin B

A M lens with "real" character is for me the Leica 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit Version I. It is one of the most affordable M lenses out there but IMO one of the best when it comes to charater and sharpness. It also works extremely well on a modern digital FF sensor. 

Leica M7 and 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit Version I, Kodak Porta 400 NC film, taken last year

p2593342768-6.jpg

p2593342519-6.jpg

Sony A7R (36 MP FF), Leica 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit Version I (below)

p2147052153-6.jpg

I love the top two images... Although I suspect the film has something to do with what really draws me to those images, as well as the lens

• Like 1

I agree with OP that character is hard to define. From my own usage the lenses I have character that I really like are:

- Leica 35 f1.4 pre-asph - it's really different from the FLE which I have as well

- Canon 50 f1.2 LTM 

- Voigtlander 40 f1.4 

- MS Optics 28mm f2

- Noctilux f1

- Leica 35 f2 Summicron v3

I like to have modern rendering lenses as well as character lenses. Seems like my preference for character is a kind of glowy imperfection wide open but also having a more classic sharpness when stopped down.

I really would love a Noct F1.0 but its just too much money... I already have the .95 and in the same year as an engagement and house purchase, my girlfriend might not say yes  :lol:

I have an old 50mm 1.5 Summarit. (Leitz, Taylor, Taylor and Hobson)   Under the right conditions it oozes character.  They can be found at good prices too.  But don't expect summicron sharpness and contrast.

Edited by JohnnySeven