M240 sensor corrosion

tjh1023

OK Here it goes, Leica Camera service center in Allendale, NJ Is awesome. The Tech Bill came out and talk to me about the camera, took it back and 25 minutes later I had it back. Bill said the sensor was filthy thats all, he confirmed the camera is essentially new and is in beautiful shape. He took time to talk to me about the correct way to clean the camera and how the dust gets in and how to avoid it. They were so personal and helpful they set the bar high for anything else. :)  :)  :)  :)  

• Like 6

OK Here it goes, Leica Camera service center in Allendale, NJ Is awesome. The Tech Bill came out and talk to me about the camera, took it back and 25 minutes later I had it back. Bill said the sensor was filthy thats all, he confirmed the camera is essentially new and is in beautiful shape. He took time to talk to me about the correct way to clean the camera and how the dust gets in and how to avoid it. They were so personal and helpful they set the bar high for anything else. :)  :)  :)  :)  

That's crazy then. How did it happen?

Bill said the most common ways the crud gets in is build up around the lens mount on the camera and gets sucked when you change the lens. He said it creates a tiny vacuum when pulled off the body. The spot he believes was some dust that had oil on it possibly from an aperture blade. He offered to look at the lens but the only one I had with me was a Voigtlander, which obviously he they can’t touch ,I had left the 50 cron at home. If I happen to be in the area again I will bring the cron and have them clean it also.

Edited by tjh1023
  • Like 1

OK Here it goes, Leica Camera service center in Allendale, NJ Is awesome. The Tech Bill came out and talk to me about the camera, took it back and 25 minutes later I had it back. Bill said the sensor was filthy thats all, he confirmed the camera is essentially new and is in beautiful shape. He took time to talk to me about the correct way to clean the camera and how the dust gets in and how to avoid it. They were so personal and helpful they set the bar high for anything else. :):):):)

I am glad it worked out ok. But I can't understand how such big dirt spot didn't show up in the very first picture you took. Whenever I get a new equipment, I look at it more critically during familiarization phase.

In any case, enjoy your camera. :)

Could you give us a quick summary of the cleaning method and dust avoidance advice you were given? I have yet to clean my sensor and am rather apprehensive about doing so!

sadly it seems like a one way street... tjh1023 is gone after he got the answer.  

I believe if you turn off the camera which closes the shutter blinds before switching lenses would help preventing 80% chance of getting dust into the sensor.  Another 20%, we are not living in a vacuum world regardless of what Bill said.  

Some people don't change lens at all but still get some dust after months if not weeks depending where you live.    

Could you give us a quick summary of the cleaning method and dust avoidance advice you were given? I have yet to clean my sensor and am rather apprehensive about doing so!

that looked like a mushroom in that picture he post.  I've never seen a camera sensor could get to this level of dirtiness... it's super unusual.  

Glad it was nothing major because that photo you posted was scary!

Fungus grows wherever it can. The spores are in the air all around us.

Is that scary? For me it isn't. Without fungi we couldn't make real cheese, real leavened bread, real ale, wine, penicillin, etc., and our guts would bloat.

Chemical beers, cheese, wine, and bread could possibly be produced ... and are in the some parts of the world where some real versions are banned. The real thing is tastier and better for us. If you eat what is natural it is better for your natural body. Fungus is natural. It is nothing to be scared of.

Fungus appeared on a Leica sensor. I'm not surprised. A bit of humidity, exposure to the atmosphere, and a scrap of dust, and before your very eyes a fungus will grow.

Good luck to it!  That's nature.   :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 10:20 PM, howiebrou said:

hold the camera with the lens mount facing down  at about a 45 degree angle, and use a rocket blower or some thing similar, blow from top of camera towards the bottom, there is actually a dust collector there. If you really need to clean it more the Leica guys use photographic solutions eclipse cleaner, I got pro pads to use with this (they have good reviews).

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2018 at 3:14 PM, Peter Kilmister said:

Fungus grows wherever it can. The spores are in the air all around us.

Is that scary? For me it isn't. Without fungi we couldn't make real cheese, real leavened bread, real ale, wine, penicillin, etc., and our guts would bloat.

Chemical beers, cheese, wine, and bread could possibly be produced ... and are in the some parts of the world where some real versions are banned. The real thing is tastier and better for us. If you eat what is natural it is better for your natural body. Fungus is natural. It is nothing to be scared of.

Fungus appeared on a Leica sensor. I'm not surprised. A bit of humidity, exposure to the atmosphere, and a scrap of dust, and before your very eyes a fungus will grow.

Good luck to it!  That's nature.   :)

Peter,

The camera was being used in the coastal Virginia, USA area, very high humidity then, I was doing a documentation in a vineyard of grape growth and ripening for a friend. 2018 was a crazy wet humid year. A perfect storm for spies in the vineyard and looks like my sensor also. You really hit the nail on the head.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:15 AM, jaeger said:

sadly it seems like a one way street... tjh1023 is gone after he got the answer.  

I believe if you turn off the camera which closes the shutter blinds before switching lenses would help preventing 80% chance of getting dust into the sensor.  Another 20%, we are not living in a vacuum world regardless of what Bill said.  

Some people don't change lens at all but still get some dust after months if not weeks depending where you live.    

The sad thing is I always turn the camera off when changing lenses. I have done this with every camera I have ever owned. If I thought I would need different focal lengths I would cary two bodies with the two desired focal lengths attached.

6 hours ago, tjh1023 said:

The sad thing is I always turn the camera off when changing lenses. I have done this with every camera I have ever owned. If I thought I would need different focal lengths I would cary two bodies with the two desired focal lengths attached.

Get a MATE and a WATE on two bodies must be the safest option. 

• 3 weeks later...
Am 25.4.2018 um 20:44 schrieb tjh1023:

Soooo great! Congrats on yr M240! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2018 at 1:20 AM, howiebrou said:

@howiebrou,

This is not official sensor cleaning doctrine from anyone or from any manufacturer; it is just the method I use and is based on sensor cleaning instructions found in the M-P 240 manual and the instructions that come with the swabs and cleaning fluid I use. 

I have had 100% positive results with 0% problems as a result of using this cleaning technique.

I seem to need to clean my sensor about once every 6-9 months.  I clean my sensor when multiple dust specks show up in post processing that require an annoying amount of time and work to clone over, not every time a spot or two turns up in post.

This description is from a blog post that I wrote for my website; I hope this will shed some light on the sensor cleaning process (we are actually cleaning the protective glass cover, not the sensor itself) for you and others.

Digital cameras have sensors; unless your camera has a built in dust reduction system, sooner or later your sensor will need to be cleaned - it's inevitable.  Then what?? 

It's a lot quicker, easier and less costly to do it yourself - if you follow your camera manual instructions exactly and are careful, you can successfully clean your camera's sensor yourself.  A lot of photographers fear damaging their sensor and will do about anything to avoid cleaning it themselves.  However, there is no reason to be afraid to do this procedure yourself, provided you do it properly.

You will need the right sensor cleaning supplies - I use Eclipse Optic Cleaning Fluid and Photosol Sensorswab Ultra sensor cleaning swabs.  If your camera has a full frame (24x36mm ) sensor, you will need the Type 3 swabs; they are 24 mm wide, as is your sensor.  APS-C and smaller sensors will need smaller swabs.  Photosol's website has information that will help you determine which swab is right for your camera.

One of the most important factors in successful sensor cleaning is to perform this procedure in a clean, dust free environment.  Not many of us have access to a clean room such as computer manufacturers build computers in.  If your home has airborne dust issues you will need to clean your sensor in an environment where dust is less of a problem (you can check for airborne dust by looking through the beam of a bright flashlight at night; if you see a lot of dust particles dancing in the air, you should probably go elsewhere to clean your sensor).  Where would that be?  Try a museum or a library; find a spot away from frequent foot traffic, entries and exits and away from heating and cooling ducts that will cause airflow that will stir up any dust that may be present.. 

Another important point is this - do not use compressed air ("canned air") to blow dust from your sensor before cleaning.  Canned air can spray liquid propellant onto your sensor cover glass, something you do not want to happen.  That liquid can also get behind the sensor and into the electronic components of your camera.  If that happens, you are in for a serious repair bill.  Instead of canned air, use a blower bulb like the Giottos Rocket Blaster, which will safely remove loose dust particles from your sensor.  Also, do not blow dust from your sensor using your breath, as you can spray tiny droplets of saliva into the camera.

The sensor swabs I use are dry, which means I need to apply the proper cleaning fluid to them before use.  Too much cleaning fluid can damage the electronics inside your camera, so proceed with caution.  I have found that five drops on the 24mm wide swabs my camera requires is sufficient (three drops on one side, two on the opposite side, equally spaced across the width of the swab); I would be comfortable using two drops per side, but no more than five drops for a 24 mm wide swab.  Again, follow the directions that come with your swabs and cleaning fluid to the letter.

Each camera has a specific procedure for sensor cleaning; if you precisely adhere to the instructions in your camera manual, you should have a successful sensor cleaning result.  If there are still spots on your sensor after cleaning, you can re-clean the sensor provided your camera manual does not advise against doing so (I once ended up with an eyelash on my sensor that required two cleanings to remove; the first try simply moved it closer to the center of the sensor; this happens sometimes).

If you follow the directions in your camera manual and in your swab and cleaning fluid to the letter, you should have no problems cleaning your sensor at home (or at your local museum or library, if need be).

DISCLAIMER                                                                                                      

1:  The above description of sensor cleaning is simply a description of how I clean my sensor; it is not intended as training or professional advice in sensor cleaning. 

2:  Always follow the directions in your camera manual and in your sensor cleaning materials to the letter.  When in doubt, contact your camera manufacturer for advice on sensor cleaning, or return your camera to the manufacturer's repair department for sensor cleaning. 

3:  The author accepts no responsibility for damage of any kind resulting from do it yourself sensor cleaning.  When in doubt, contact your camera manufacturer to return your camera to the manufacturer's repair department for professional sensor cleaning.

Edited by Herr Barnack