SL firmware 3.2

bsmith

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In past upgrades, I have used a card that was far along in my use, e.g., with only a file folder S105xxxx on it.  After the upgrade I now had a fresh start with files going into a new S100xxxx folder starting at 0 or 1.  The only way out of this that I have found is to go to Reset Image Numbering, deep in the setup pages.  This starts things over with a folder number larger than anything currently on the card.  I have tried other tricks, like putting extra folders on the card or renaming the most recent file, but the SL firmware seems to have firm ideas on where it should put files, and it only changes them when the official Reset is used.  There may be other tricks, but it seems that the only predictable action which continues the numbering is when the folders are named consecutively and the lower numbered folders are full.

The camera that I just updated has its files starting with R, so that wasn't a problem.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I had my numbering system starting with a K (the first letter of my last name)... not with the default L. I am not sure if that matters

It probably does ...... from previous updates if you are using L100 it will definitely continue the numbering ...... I get the impression that if any other folder such as L101, L102 etc is present it will default to L100 and restart from 0001.

As you can only change the various permutations once every FW upgrade it is a bit difficult to carry out any experiments ...... the name of the game being to confuse the defective logic being used by Leica so it chooses the number you want   :rolleyes:

Is it resetting the numbering or not?

The numbering is being reset - at least if you follow Leica's instructions... One possible way around this is to remove existing cards from the camera prior to the update; use a new, reformatted card for the fw update; and then switch back to the 'old' card(s) when the update is finished. In my case, following Leica's instruction, the file numbering is now back to 00001.

• Like 1

You can't be sure with this devilish firmware, but I think that if you have the leading letter set to something you chose, and save that in your profiles before upgrading and restore from your profiles after the letter will survive.  My two SL's with "S" and "R" leading letters seem to survive upgrades when I do this.  However, I don't understand what does and doesn't work with folder number.  Once Leica has gotten the folder number it wants (whether or not it is what you intended) it writes the next file to the next available number in that folder.

The problem is that the user's last file taken, with its folder information, is not being stored as a profile or as camera state.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having thought joystick lock was a reasonably good option I was rather perplexed to find the focus/metering point meandering around again .......

Of course you need to disable touch af as well otherwise you will still get a moving point and now find the joystick won’t work to centre it.

Would have been far better if it was a ‘lock focus/metering point’ option .......

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

The "ECO" mode puts the camera into standby after 3-5 seconds, but then wakes it up reasonably fast for the next time you want to shoot.  That shuts off the rear screen as well.  But I think you want to know if you can turn auto review completely off.  You can.  I do.  And there are options such as EVF only, no LCD, that I have seen but have not explored.

• Like 1

why can't there be an option to shut off the rear screen to save power for us "normal" photographers that use a camera properly?

You can do that by pressing the small black button next to the viewfinder. It cycles between auto (EVF+LCD screen), EVF-only, and LCD-only.

When in EVF-only mode, the LCD will only come on if you press one of the 4 buttons that surround it.

I really like that mode, it's very similar to shooting with an SLR.