SL firmware 3.2

bsmith

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think they have forgotten to upload the actual file

On the downloads page there are instructions but not the FW ..... ooops.....

This morning, the Leica public link is still blocked (error 403), but the Farkas link at LeicaStoreMiami is working.  So I think someone in Wetzlar went home for the day without finishing their job, rather than that a problem was discovered at the last moment.

The instruction sheet notes a new feature: "New menu item 'USB-Mode' allows to use mass storage or PTP USB connection device."

Wot dat?

It is useful for me using the camera as a film scanner on a Leitz BEOON, with the SL permanently connected with an HDMI cable to my MacBook Pro. The SL will use my MacBook as its storage device rather than the SD cards

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

That sounds like a different pathway than the USB cable.  Does this setup work differently under 3.2 or has it worked as you describe before?

I always had troubles with PTP mode (MacBook pro with USB-C) - now mass storage works perfectly, even when two cards are used; great!

• Like 1

I have installed the 3.2 firmware and noticed significant improvement in camera’s startup time. Has anybody else noticed the same? It went from 2-3 seconds to pretty much instant startup.

I have noticed two things with 3.2

1. When shooting now, I get a very brief preview (fraction of a second) of the image captured, which is actually useful, though unexpected. This didnt happen before.

2. I shoot with 2 SD cards in backup mode, when playing back the image for review, the camera reads from card 2 rather than card 1, it was always card 1 before (in the faster SD slot). Not sure it matters but I noticed it.

Anyone else see this?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Keep the shutter button depressed, and the review image will be held in 3.2.  It's a nice unannounced feature, which means you can set autoreview off and save a little power.  There seem to be things in 3.2 that represent changes in its power management, in addition to the rapid shutdown (in ECO mode), like the faster recovery from a shutdown.

How can you tell that it is reading the playback from card 2?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 3

This morning, the Leica public link is still blocked (error 403), but the Farkas link at LeicaStoreMiami is working.  So I think someone in Wetzlar went home for the day without finishing their job, rather than that a problem was discovered at the last moment.

Thanks, that works. I got the same error 403 this morning. The Leica Store Miami link is in their Red Dot forum so click on that and you will find David reviewing the new firmware.

Keep the shutter button depressed, and the review image will be held in 3.2.  It's a nice unannounced feature, which means you can set autoreview off and save a little power.  

thank you - very nice! A small change, but very useful (I don't like the normal review image, now it's much more versatile)

Keep the shutter button depressed, and the review image will be held in 3.2.  It's a nice unannounced feature, which means you can set autoreview off and save a little power.  There seem to be things in 3.2 that represent changes in its power management, in addition to the rapid shutdown (in ECO mode), like the faster recovery from a shutdown.

It's an annoying unannounced feature. I hate auto review and keep it switched off - if I'm trying to shoot a series of pictures, this sticks an image of the last picture I shot in the viewfinder, while I'm composing/focusing the next one.

It's an annoying unannounced feature. I hate auto review and keep it switched off - if I'm trying to shoot a series of pictures, this sticks an image of the last picture I shot in the viewfinder, while I'm composing/focusing the next one.

The review goes away as soon as you take pressure off the shutter, and it doesn't come up until you've held it down for an instant longer than I usually do.  I noticed it first while holding the shutter down to avoid shaking on a longish exposure.

The review goes away as soon as you take pressure off the shutter, and it doesn't come up until you've held it down for an instant longer than I usually do.  I noticed it first while holding the shutter down to avoid shaking on a longish exposure.

It's still a distraction. What happened to setting up the camera for the way you work? I don't use use auto review, and therefore switched it off. This "feature" switches it back on.

Too late ..... your only hope was using a current 'in use' card with the FW update copied onto it, or changing the card to a current one before restarting. 

If started again with this in the camera it will continue numbering of whatever files are in the lowest LXXX folder present.

Unfortunately Leica tells you to use a freshly formatted card .... and also not to remove that card before re-starting the camera for the first time. 

This behaviour has not changed in any FW for any of the recent Leica cameras .....despite my moaning about it during every Beta testing cycle I have been involved in. 

They give you the option of saving profiles ..... why not the option of saving the file numbering ?? Hardly the most difficult coding task out there ....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 3

Too late ..... your only hope was using a current 'in use' card with the FW update copied onto it, or changing the card to a current one before restarting. 

If started again with this in the camera it will continue numbering of whatever files are in the lowest LXXX folder present.

Unfortunately Leica tells you to use a freshly formatted card .... and also not to remove that card before re-starting the camera for the first time. 

This behaviour has not changed in any FW for any of the recent Leica cameras .....despite my moaning about it during every Beta testing cycle I have been involved in. 

They give you the option of saving profiles ..... why not the option of saving the file numbering ?? Hardly the most difficult coding task out there ....

Yes - I recall lot's of frustration about this from previous fw updates. Not a big deal. But since the file numbering can be reset - one would think that it also could be saved/arbitrarily set.

I used my current SD card (without reformatting)... and my file number continued right where it left off.

I tried to do the same when I saw your interesting comment.

So, I used the SD card that had some SL images (DNG and JPG) from today, did NOT reformat the card, loaded 3.2 on the card and installed the 3.2 Firmware.

First image is L1000001, grrrr, that is not what I expected!

Consequently, there must be something different that you have done that I did not do :-(

But what?

Somebody knows???

John

Edited by satijntje

I tried to do the same when I saw your interesting comment.

So, I used the SD card that had some SL images (DNG and JPG) from today, did NOT reformat the card, loaded 3.2 on the card and installed the 3.2 Firmware.

First image is L1000001, grrrr, that is not what I expected!

Consequently, there must be something different that you have done that I did not do :-(

But what?

Somebody knows???

John

I had my numbering system starting with a K (the first letter of my last name)... not with the default L. I am not sure if that matters