Disappointed with Leica jpegs

Surfheart

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In 500 posts or so.

pgh:

"A Zeiss lens on a Sony sensor is pretty much the gold standard now it seems and for me - when looking prints of any meaningful size (A3 or larger) Leica glass doesn't come within reasonable distance of closing that gap."

No sh!t: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-Jfdr66/,

pgh:

"... with the Leica, it's a camera with basically no automation - what is the legitimate reason for not putting in a better sensor? We don't need more speed out of it. The only reason I can think of is that they don't feel like their lenses actually hold up to higher res sensors (maybe why they refer to it as the 'sweet spot') - which is another problem altogether given that less expensive Zeiss lenses render quite well across 42 mp,..."

No sh!t, again: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-Jfdr66/ and, again, https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-x8Mwmw/

Actually, I hear that with all your negativism on this forum about Leica, the M10, and their lenses, you've turned off so many prospective buyers that their sales and profits are starting to drop precipitously. Less profits means less money to spend on Research & Development. Less Research & Development spend means less product improvement. So your negativism is actually counterproductive. Besides, I read that negative thoughts increase the stress hormones in our bodies.

I think you're giving my one little opinion - a nobody on the internet - way too much credit. Leica seems to be doing just fine. I've also posted many times about what is wonderful about the M10 and how it is still the camera I primarily use, but somehow that gets lost. If a prospective buyer were to ask me about an M10, I would tell them I would buy it again, but it isn't perfect, and I couldn't use it for about half of the first 6 months I owned it because Leica couldn't get it to work as it was supposed to. As a professional that's not really encouraging, and it's not something I've experienced with any of the (many) camera makers I've used. Despite that, I still choose to use it as my primary tool. I just hope they improve. 

Pgh...you shouldn't reply to certain posts...just hit the ignore button...and move on :)

another thread that will spiral downwards and probably get locked.

I think you're giving my one little opinion - a nobody on the internet - way too much credit. Leica seems to be doing just fine. I've also posted many times about what is wonderful about the M10 and how it is still the camera I primarily use, but somehow that gets lost. If a prospective buyer were to ask me about an M10, I would tell them I would buy it again, but it isn't perfect, and I couldn't use it for about half of the first 6 months I owned it because Leica couldn't get it to work as it was supposed to. As a professional that's not really encouraging, and it's not something I've experienced with any of the (many) camera makers I've used. Despite that, I still choose to use it as my primary tool. I just hope they improve. 

Hello JD,

Thank you for helping.

When you first put the information here in the computer I was able to go thru a lot of information that included a number of other works in this collection which seemed promising. When I returned today to continue & to write back to you: The reference point that you sent no longer seems to as accessible as it was before. Possibly I am interacting the wrong way. I will go back to my notes & then try again & then get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanx again.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Hello Again JD,

I think I may have found it.

In my original discussion about this book, in the other Thread: I did not remember the exact title or the author. The book I have & can not currently locate had no publisher or publishing date. The text was written by a person who was there. The historical & the contemporary references of the writing dated the time period of the writing to around 1820 in Scotland. The actual publication of the book, from the style of type, binding, paper, etc was about 1870.

On going back again & operating the navigator in what you provided a little better I found a book: "History of the Gipsies" , written by Walter Simpson (The text related to Scottish Romany People was written between 1817 - 1831). It was Edited by James Simpson & published in 1866.

Reasonably close in parameters but I could not access the specific area of the book that dealt with the issues I brought up in the other Thread.

I will try to investigate that further.

I am reasonably good at finding things by rummaging thru a pile of books. I am less practiced, but eager to learn, how to do so with a computer. 

I will let you know how things go.

If this is not the correct book there are others in the material that you provided.

I might even locate my copy.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And you’re not even allowed 5 minutes to correct mistakes without being stamped with the “Edited by ...” badge of shame!

'Edited by' badge of shame?  Why should it be a 'badge of shame'?  It's certainly not in my view and can be quite helpful sometimes.

Pete.

And you’re not even allowed 5 minutes to correct mistakes without being stamped with the “Edited by ...” badge of shame!

??? That "badge" is an option, not an automatism. It is not used for correcting mistakes.

IMO, showing (in the 'corrected by') that you have corrected something indicates that you have been careful and considered in whatever you posted. I know one or two professional writers who still edit and re-edit their work. One even does it in longhand with pen and paper. I consider her doodlings of same as collectible!

Hello Everybody,

There is another reason that people sometimes "Edit" their work:

I communicate with this Forum thru an Internet Connection that is sometimes somewhat unreliable. After a few minutes of composing my screen can sometimes just evaporate while I am looking at it. Therefore, after I think that I have written to near that point I will "click" the Icon & send the message to the Forum & then edit it after it has arrived. Since it does not seem to disappear once it has arrived there & disappearing while I am composing is a regular event.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

??? That "badge" is an option, not an automatism. It is not used for correcting mistakes.

I use the mobile site almost exclusively (through Safari on iOS) and it’s certainly not a feature I ever manually enabled or opted-in for. I don’t really like them. They appear immediately after modifying a post even by one letter 10 seconds later, so they do appear to be used for minor corrections, at least on the mobile site and I think too on the regular full site. Perhaps the rules are different and you don’t get the stamps by default because you’re a moderator?

I’ll have a look at the options to see if I can modify the behaviour in preferences. It’s obviously not something I lose sleep over and I hoped that most people could tell my post was a little tongue-in-cheek, but the edited-by label does appear unnecessarily (even obnoxiously) large (and in bold) on the mobile site, so this was feedback I was going to provide in the relevant section anyway.

Edited by Simon

I too recently purchased the Leica M10 as my first Leica as a long time lust finally satisfied. Since buying the M10 in December, I have purchased the Summilux 50, Summicron 28, 35, 75 and 90, and Super Elmar 18. The lenses are all fantastic although heavy.

My other system for the past four years is Fuji-X. My current cameras are the X-T2, X-H1 and X100F and a bunch of Fuji XF lenses.

I always shoot RAW+JPG with either system. I left Lightroom 2 years ago for Capture One Pro. 

I have not had the experience of the original poster. I find the JPGs from the Leica very usable, but I still prefer to work with RAW files. I find that the Leica DNG files need very little adjustments other than cropping and minor tweaks. The default sharpening in Capture One Pro is find with Leica files but I have to add sharpening with Fuji files.

You might want to try using Capture One for better out of the box image quality results with less fuss, IMHO.

Regards,

Bud James

www.budjames.photography

• 5 years later...

I mean, it's not that bad. At least for my uses, these little beasts come out alright even straight out of camera. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2