Leica m8 funny line on pics

poli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Took the m8 this morning for some pictures of tulips. On almost all pics rhere is a strange horizontal line. Looks like some deadpixel to me, however the position of the line changes per picture (and on some pics i have two lines) last week i was using the camera without any problem. Anybody have a clue?

eba63b224d928b785270d392e0af28c6.jpg

If the line numbers and position vary it is not a pixel level problem.

It could be a read out issue on the sensor, in the circuit board involved in writing to the card or the SD card itself as pointed out above.

Full battery, new format (in camera) of the card and see, change card and see, if no spare cards re-format in a computer with one of the "deep format" programs (is the card old, they don't live forever) send files to Leica for opinion showing the line(s) in different places (to exclude pixel level and need for sensor re-mapping).

My M8 is back from Leica with two circuit boards replaced, not that issue but perhaps an indication that over time board failure is possible.

FYI the ban on lead in solder in the EU was at 1st July 2006, lead-free tin as a final finish on a board can spontaneously sprout single crystal hair-like growths the so called “tin whiskers" over time. These growths are electrically conductive, can grow in years, and can easily bridge between contacts, they can touch each other to cause electrical problems.

The M8 was early in that introduction cycle and may suffer over proportionally from the issue as later mitigations were developed, just speculation 

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 1