Transfer RAW by WiFi to an IPad

From IOS 10 you can handle DNG files on an iPad, however, you need a special app, like Lightroom Mobile.

I don't think it is very useful, though. The small screen and limited  memory (2 or 4 GB) make an iPad more useful for a jpg workflow.

Can you transfer RAW images by WiFi to Lightroom? I keep getting JPGs only

I would advise to take the sd card reader. From there you can quickly transfer your raw files to the ipad and than import them into lightroom. The rawfiles sync from your ipad to the cloud when you have wifi. This workflow works perfect for me and hopefully for you aswell.

Bernard de Graaf

www.bernarddefotograaf.nl

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

You can only transfer Jpegs via WiFi. Get the SD card dongle thingie, it works great.

When traveling, I shoot raw only, transfer to my iPad via the SD card reader, and process with Snapseed, which has turned out to be quite good for quick edits and adjustments. I have some presets now, and can get pretty close to a finished edit with a minimum of time and effort. Plus, the iPad is a pretty good temporary backup storage device, if you have room on it.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use my iPad Pro 13in to process RAW/DNG files from my SL and CL all the time. It’s very much suited for this purpose and the workflow is very satisfying. I use for posting pics to IG, Flickr or LUF, not more serious printing projects of course.

I use two methods for transferring DNGs to the iPad. In both cases, the DNG ends up in my Photos on the iPad.

1. A very simple one, if I only care to transfer a file or two is using the Leica SL/CL app. The transfer over the wireless connection is slow so more than a couple of files in DNG is a bit of a pain. In the settings of the app you need to specify what format file to transfer (DNG, or jpg) as otherwise jpg will be the default.

2. A fast and convenient way is to use the SD adapter connected to the iPad directly. This method is very fast. It transfers DNGs as well.

I process the DNGs on the iPad Pro using Lightroom CC. It’s free, no subscription is required if you don’t need or plan to sync the LR catalog on the iPad with your other catalog in the cloud and desktop. It ‘matches’ my ‘normal’ processing workflow pretty close on the MacBook so this is pretty straightforward. LR CC on iPad has many export options, saving to Photos app is one of course, or direct transfer to other services.

• Like 2

Strangely, although you can transfer both JPEG and DNG via the iOS app over wifi, albeit as others have said, quite slowly, you can only transfer JPEG's via the web network connection to a PC/Mac. I use the latter when I quickly need an image to post or email from my CL, especially as I use the grip, which has to be unscrewed to access the SD card. Occasionally it would be useful to be able to transfer the DNG as well. I think if I use the Image Shuttle app, it may be possible but that needs the CL's wifi set in a different way as a webserver. I find this sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. With the SL it is far more reliable using an HDMI cable, which I use when scanning film with a Leitz BEOON. 

Wilson

When I was in Africa I transferred from CL to my Iphone, using the CL-wifi, made the jpegs small in the CL, and used Lightroom Mobile to do minor adjustments and then off it went to LUF, Instagram, emails, etc ..... waited until I got home to transfer from card to Mac the DNG files. For the purposes mentioned, phone version of Lightroom using small Jpegs worked just fine, the ipad will work the same but with a bigger screen.

I downloaded raw files to my iphone with WiFi. Edited with snapseed. However, Snapseed doesn't read raw, and will only edit jpg, from what I can tell. I also downloaded images via the adapter to an old Ipad, and sometimes it won't edit any images produced by the CL.  Raw or otherwise. Could be that my hand me down ipad is very, very old. I recently used a lens adapter for an olympus lens and snapseed won't open the images. IOS can display both raw and jpg in photo album. From my experience. 

Speaking of Lightroom. Does anybody know how to get around the authenticity certificate expiry? I bought Lightroom as a CD two years ago, and only tried to install it a week ago (long story). Certificate expired and It won't launch. Adobe are a-holes and won't give me any advice to install, only repeating incessantly that they don't offer support for anything less than v6. So my CD is a frisbee.