German products alert

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lately, I've shopping for sensor cleaning products and of course I won't go cheap for my M.  Due to bad product and service experiences, I started some research of "this" brand.  I am not going to disclose the company name becoz I don't wanna get political or even membership ban.  But I like to share my experience and alert people what is going on...

Basically, this brand claims it's a German company but it's actually a knock off from far East.  It emphasizes the country of origin "Germany" to mark up huge profits.  Clues are everything if you search the company... just a head's up businesses running on a home address and etc..  If you ain't becareful then you are paying 5,6,10 times more for a similar product (possibly toxic) and supporting unethical businesses.    

I am also suspecting this company purposefully to create multiple brands on Amazon at lower price and full of bad reviews. This astroturfing tactics is to force us to buy their expensive knock off.  I don't have problems buying products from countries other than Germany but I don't like the fact that they're faking it.  These bad apples are violating trust and they are parasites.  I got to stop here before getting too emotional... anyway.

I am quit sure this brand has trolls everywhere to promote their products and this thread may get many attacks...

Rather than slate a product it is sometimes much better to show a link to a product and invite people to look at the link and say what they think. That takes away the judgemental stance from you but passes this on to others.

So start this thread again so we know exactly what you are talking about.  :)

• Like 1

Jaeger,

As Peter wrote, a link would be nice to judge by ourself if that "thing" had something related to this section of Leica M (type 240/262).

So if there are attacks, we would be informed where they come from.

• Like 2

I really don't want to get in trouble.  Anyway, there is only 1 expensive sensor glue stick emphasizing "German made" on amazon.  If you google that company in full name you will see a twin website at far East.  If you use Germany Company Registration database to search, you will find one non German manager, 1 man company and address that's links to a residential address out of no where near North of Hamburger.  Hint, it is very easy to spot because the website is disorganized and broken on google chrome.  This company makes sensor swab, paper, solution and all about camera sensor.  But wait... their website has flash, out-of-the-blue audio system.  I guarantee you will say WTF!  Likely you have paid premium to use their product before as well...

Second thing that arise my suspicion about astroturfing is... those other cheaper brands with bad reviews look identical.  Especially the casing which is also a most expensive component in their entire line of product. 

Edited by jaeger

I assume he's alking about the sensor cleaning stick from Eyelead.   It interesting that the contact page on the Eyelead web site contains a typo -- http://www.eyelead.eu/kontakt.html says the company name is eylead Bluetech GmbH.  Note the missing e.

There is also an Eyelead Bluetech Inc registered in Houston Texas.   Owners are Bo Yu, Lei Sun, and Xile Yu.

What does it mean?  Haven't a clue.  In my searching I did find at least one source in the UK that says the Eyelead SCK-1 B (red) kit is for Sony and Leica. Reviews are mixed. Some love it, some hate it, and some claim they received counterfeit items.  Then there is the video taken at Leica where they are using the product to clean sensors.  At least I think it is the same product.

• Like 1

I assume he's alking about the sensor cleaning stick from Eyelead.   It interesting that the contact page on the Eyelead web site contains a typo -- http://www.eyelead.eu/kontakt.html says the company name is eylead Bluetech GmbH.  Note the missing e.

There is also an Eyelead Bluetech Inc registered in Houston Texas.   Owners are Bo Yu, Lei Sun, and Xile Yu.

What does it mean?  Haven't a clue.  In my searching I did find at least one source in the UK that says the Eyelead SCK-1 B (red) kit is for Sony and Leica. Reviews are mixed. Some love it, some hate it, and some claim they received counterfeit items.  Then there is the video taken at Leica where they are using the product to clean sensors.  At least I think it is the same product.

Certainly throws the cat amoungst the pigeons!

It would be helpful if Leica came to our rescue here and detailed the recommended device, and possibly a recognised 'safe' source for purchase. Is that too much to ask?

PS Would you mind linking the UK source?

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

AFAIk it is a Pentax stick

The difference between the Sony and the Pentax, is what? One potential answer: one has a 'floating' sensor for image stabilisation, the other doesn't, so the coefficient of stickiness of the Eyelead is tailored accordingly, assuming good pedigree of said product, and not simply a change of colour to fool the unsuspecting.

I also heard that Leica use a Pentax stick, though it may be the same thing on an OEM basis: who knows?

I have an Eyelead SCK-1 [nothing about "B (red)"] which does the business. The sticky lollipop tip is green.

I think it was Wilson who warned about Chinese knock-offs a while ago, and told me where he'd got his. (Digitaltoyshop or something rings a bell.)

It says Made in Germany on the tin (but then Leica say that don't they, on stuff that is mainly put together in Portugal. 

On the outer box which contains the tin it also says (in incredibly tiny print):

Designed in Germany

Special Material made in Germany

Made in China

Make of that what you will!

I am quit sure this brand has trolls everywhere to promote their products and this thread may get many attacks...

Oh here we go, anybody that doesn't agree with you is a troll, how useful for you to include that in a so called 'discussion'.

So I'll take the bait. I think you are jumping to many conclusions and fail to understand the nature of international manufacturing practice, simple as that. Not all the parts of a Porsche are made in Germany, but Porsche 'claim' the car is made in Germany, how can that be? As pointed out, Leica's assembled in Portugal have 'Made in Germany' inscribed on them, how so? Accusing this company of also creating fake ads for cheaper and worse products would also be cause for them to sue your ass off so no wonder you are worried about naming them.

So first, you have a product in Germany that can be turned into a sensor cleaner, you find a company to make it, you commission it, you badge it 'Made in Germany' because the principle/working part of the product is made in Germany. It could also work the other way around, a licensing agreement from the company in China to a company in Germany (from where they get their 'sticky stuff'). And like the company in Korea who make batteries for many brands, Leica among them (but remember it still says 'Made in Germany' on your Leica), this company will make similar sensor swabs to be branded for other outlets/companies as well, hence similar products on the market. Secondly, the fake Amazon ads referring to similar looking products with bad reviews. The LUF forum is awash with complaints about Leica products, but simply reading the forum doesn't indicate the far greater number of people who haven't bothered to complain because they can't find anything to complain about. This is how 'reviews' generally work on web sites, people like to complain when they can't make a product work or they bought the wrong product and don't want to blame themselves, but everybody who is happy keeps quiet. 

Whoever this company is you talk of all I can say is I have a product called an 'Eyelead' that says 'Made in Germany' on the tin and I couldn't care less if it was made by space aliens on Mars because it works brilliantly.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 4

PS Would you mind linking the UK source?

It's someplace in my browser history.   How do I search that, again?   Oh yeah...

Here it is: https://www.telescopehouse.com/astro-imaging/eyelead.html  and if you click on the link for the product they say is for Leica you get to a page that this forum software doesn't like me to link for some reason.  Anyway, search for Leica on the above page and you'll find it.

Hope that helps.  I still haven't a clue if this is a good or bad thing to have.

Edited by marchyman
  • Like 1