First 7Artisans 35mm f/2 Lens Review

Chubkins

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve seen, depending on the metering pattern, this kind of thing before on lenses with significant vignetting since, for the first few stops, you are reducing the light to the outer area of the image less by stopping down than you are reducing the light to the center. The fact that it becomes more linear from the middle stops on, where you should be out of the range with vignetting seems to support this.

I’d re-run this and check the actual exposure only in the center of the fame, then see what you get.

Yesterday I received my "7 artisans 35 F2.0" lens. As already said in this forum, good construction, manageable, good optical quality (except corners, perfect for M8),

My copy was slightly misadjusted at the infinity but it has been easy to adjust with your instructions.

Nobody has mentioned in this forum the notable mismatch in the aperture. Mine, measuring on a gray wall, jumps from f2- 1/3000 successively when closing a diaphragm to:

2.8-1/2000 ,,, 4- 1/1500 ,, 5.6 1/750 ,, 8- 1/360 ,, 11 - 1/180 and 16 - 1/60.

That is, as the 2.8 mark corresponds really to an aperture of f:2.5, 4 to 2.8, 5.6 to 4, 8 to 5.6, 11 to 8, and 16 to 14.

The test I made with an M9 but I see similar results with an M8. Both measure correctly with zeiss / leica / CV lenses.

Is it just my unit or other users have seen the same problem?

Since light is measured at the actual aperture, in normal use is not a problem. It would only affect the depth of field estimation.

Excuse my poor english

chema

I’ve seen, depending on the metering pattern, this kind of thing before on lenses with significant vignetting since, for the first few stops, you are reducing the light to the outer area of the image less by stopping down than you are reducing the light to the center. The fact that it becomes more linear from the middle stops on, where you should be out of the range with vignetting seems to support this.

I’d re-run this and check the actual exposure only in the center of the fame, then see what you get.

Thank you, I have redone the test with an M6 (metering more spot) with the same result.
I have observed, looking at the lens from behind, that by moving the ring of diaphragms from f2 onwards, I do not start to see the diaphragm blades until I reach the midpoint between 2 and 2.8.

So I imagine that the diaphragm ring is not fixed in its place, it should be a little more delayed, so that when it now suggests 2.5 should be on the f2.
Knowing the problem, I do not care. Within a time, I will try to adjust it.

Best regards
chema

Does somebody knows where to get this lens in the EU?

None available at Ebay nor Amazon for the moment!

Thx

John

Maybe the demand was high and the first charge is sold out.

Or there were quality problems and 7artisans hast to fix them.

I hope the last is right ...

Are there more pictures available and how do you rate performance and sharpness at the edges?

Thanks

I had mentioned in my comments that the edges never really sharpened up with my copy (at any aperture) but it’s also got a lot to do with field curvature. With central subjects you’re never going to have a problem as it’s great in the center even wide open. I wouldn’t call this an ideal landscape lens (I’m comparing it against my 35 FLE and previous Zeiss Distagon so it’s kind of unfair because those two are the cream of the crop really with 35mm performance).

Personally I think the lens renders quite nicely on film after looking at results on Portra 400, Tri-X 400 and Fuji Superia 200. It also would seem that on film any corner softness is largely negated, so that’s a plus :).

• Like 1

I developed the first film from my lens today. My example apparently suffers severe barrel distortion, it's OK if the camera is absolutely level but any tilt...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I developed the first film from my lens today. My example apparently suffers severe barrel distortion, it's OK if the camera is absolutely level but any tilt...

attachicon.gifSheet121_010s.jpg

This great little lens is not made for film i'm afraid. It needs 6-bit coding to correct distortion. I just tried it on my digital CL so far (see 7artisans 35/2 on the CL) and i yet prefer it to my Summicron 35/2 v4 on this body.

• Like 2

This great little lens is not made for film i'm afraid. It needs 6-bit coding to correct distortion. I just tried it on my digital CL so far (see 7artisans 35/2 on the CL) and i yet prefer it to my Summicron 35/2 v4 on this body.

CL is 1.5 cropper. It cuts the edges of lens image, this is where barrel distortion is.

Difference-Between-Full-Frame-and-APS-C_

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-full-frame-and-vs-aps-c/

I have half-frame  7$ Industar-69 28 2.8 lens on M8 and it was as good as 700$ Elmarit-M III 28 2.8 on M-E.

Because M8 have cropped sensor.

Edited by Ko.Fe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

How do you calibrate the focus of the lens? I'm using film, so I can't really see the results (picture) right away. I did get my first roll and some are slightly out of focus.

2 minutes ago, iancaldo said:

How do you calibrate the focus of the lens? I'm using film, so I can't really see the results (picture) right away. I did get my first roll and some are slightly out of focus.

You should only have to do it once.