First 7Artisans 35mm f/2 Lens Review

Chubkins

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, adjusting for infinity should give you accurate focus across the range, although there will always be a hint of focus shift (it's a Sonnar-based optical formula after all).

While the 50/1.1 was essentially spot on upon arrival, the 35/2 was way off. The good news is that it took me less than 15 min to adjust with the screwdriver provided.

Focus is very smooth and almost Leica-like on my copy, with no rough spots, but the aperture ring is slightly wobbly and clunky. Time will tell if it ends up falling apart...

I have only managed to take a few shots with it so far, so no opinion on IQ yet.

A very nice little lens. 

Size is good.

Nice and sharp.

Well made.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• Like 1

• Like 2

can anyone explain what mod is required to mount the 50 on an m-l adapter and on the CL??

can the mod be user done?

The rear cell extends too far from the lens proper, it is surplus really. The new 50mm I had contacted the area around but in front of the sensor on my SL, and also TL.

The factory knew/know about this and can/will machine off a section of the rear cell, thus allowing it to fit without any contact.

Why they just make the lenses standard so they will fit any Leica is beyond me.

They state the 35mm doesn't have an issue, it is only the 50mm.

DIY?? Yes, I would imagine so, a dremel or some other means of trimming the rear cell.

Gary

P.S. I swear I saw a picture somewhere on the inter-web, of the rear cell, pre-trimmed, and after-trimmed. I can't find it, but if I do I will post it.

• Like 1

• Like 2

I got mine recently as well. It feels reasonably well made but the focus ring is definitely on the tighter side (this may loosen up with use). My aperture ring is not wobbly at all but in contrast is is almost too tight to adjust easily. Focus at infinity is slightly off so I’ll have to try and adjust it myself.

Image quality seems decent in the center but there is some major field curvature (though I did expect this). It would work fine for reasonably close central subjects in my opinion. Going to be trying it out in the coming weeks but right now the only other 35 I have to compare it with is my Summilux FLE and that’s not exactly a fair fight.

I’m sure this lens will have its fans and its haters but for the price-point I would say it’s most definitely a usable optic.

• Like 1

I did an adjustment for infinity focus today and confirmed that the thick bronze cam does indeed adjust infinity focus and now it's accurate. I also noticed that after adjusting it my focusing action was very tight from .7m to about 1.5m and I was concerned that I had done something wrong but after a tiny (and I do mean tiny) adjustment of the set screws it is at least back to how it felt from the box, if not slightly smoother. 

Here's a quick snap as I was leaving work. I liked the light coming in and hitting my car :) Taken on my M10.

28187881637_babb00618f_b.jpgThe Garage. by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

• Like 4

I did an adjustment for infinity focus today and confirmed that the thick bronze cam does indeed adjust infinity focus and now it's accurate. I also noticed that after adjusting it my focusing action was very tight from .7m to about 1.5m and I was concerned that I had done something wrong but after a tiny (and I do mean tiny) adjustment of the set screws it is at least back to how it felt from the box, if not slightly smoother. 

Here's a quick snap as I was leaving work. I liked the light coming in and hitting my car :) Taken on my M10.

Thank you for posting this, my lens had the same tight spot, I just loosened the set screws a tiny amount and it is now gone.

• Like 2

White GTI?  Lovely

• Like 1