First 7Artisans 35mm f/2 Lens Review

Chubkins

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After the success of the 50mm f/1.1 lens they released last year, I'm excited to see the communities take on this follow-up lens. Here's the first production batch review that's shown up on-line.

https://emulsive.org/reviews/gear-reviews/lens-reviews/lens-review-the-7artisans-35mm-f-2-leica-m-mount-lens-first-production-batch-exclusive-review

• Like 4

Yes, it was announced a while ago and at least one pre-production sample/test was already available.

Pretty sure I'll get one. Not that I need another lens, but my experience with their 50/1.1 has been a positive one - and it's a Sonnar  :)

I bought the Sony A7 mount version last year at a very low price, and am still impressed with the value and solid construction. My only complaint was internal reflections with a strong light source just outside of the frame, which appears to be from element edges that were not blackened. From this review it sounds like they have addressed this issue. The mount design of the M version looks improved too. The Sony version came with a stick-on focus tab to add if you wanted, which really worked well, but seemed an after thought.

It is the lens for those like me - not high earners, but few cameras, yet, same focal length preference. 

So, I could have this lens on M4-2 (and not be paranoid to burn curtains), get Nokton 35 1.4 for R2M (it has metal blades shutter) and keep my 35 2.5 Summarit for M-E.

And J-12 is already on Zorki :).

Edited by Ko.Fe.

It is the lens for those like me - not high earners, but few cameras, yet, same focal length preference. 

So, I could have this lens on M4-2 (and not be paranoid to burn curtains), get Nokton 35 1.4 for R2M (it has metal blades shutter) and keep my 35 2.5 Summarit for M-E.

And J-12 is already on Zorki :).

Ahhhhhhh........I have a question.

What does the cost of the lens have to do with the ability to burn a hole in the shutter curtain?

Ahhhhhhh........I have a question.

What does the cost of the lens have to do with the ability to burn a hole in the shutter curtain?

I have only one Summarit-M 35, can't afford #2. Summicrons 35 are terribly overpriced. So, very first lens which has handy RF 35mm lens build is Nokton 35 1.4. It is not expensive new, but I don't like f1.4 lenses on film M (risk to burn curtain). Skopar M 35 2.5 is not the lens I was impressed, (too small to handle), so this lens is good alternative, which will allows me to keep Summarit-M 35 for M-E. I like 35 lenses most, but I don't like to toss same lens between different cameras.

I have only one Summarit-M 35, can't afford #2. Summicrons 35 are terribly overpriced. So, very first lens which has handy RF 35mm lens build is Nokton 35 1.4. It is not expensive new, but I don't like f1.4 lenses on film M (risk to burn curtain). Skopar M 35 2.5 is not the lens I was impressed, (too small to handle), so this lens is good alternative, which will allows me to keep Summarit-M 35 for M-E. I like 35 lenses most, but I don't like to toss same lens between different cameras.

meh, they aren't overpriced. some people just can't afford them.

Mine was delivered today - Build quality - Solid - (More solid and robust feeling than my Summicron 50/2 V5 and similar to my VM 35/1.7). Smooth well damped focus and no aperture ring looseness that Emulsive noted.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

FWIW, I bought the 50/1.1 from one of their 'authorized sellers' on eBay. Free (fast) DHL shipping to anywhere. It was a seamless transaction with eBay guarantee. I guess you could use Amazon too. I haven't seen one in a physical store in Europe - but I haven't been looking either.

I have one on order. I intend to test it out thoroughly and will write something up in due course. I suspect that China is already producing, and will in the future produce, some interesting lenses. I have no problem with older designs (often quite good) provided QC is as high as it needs to be.