User Profiles will only save/load SOME settings

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

So, my first post here. Hate for it to be one where I ask for advice, but that's how it is.

I just got a Leica Q a couple days ago. Even though I think of myself as "tech savvy", I cannot wrap my head around how exactly the User Profiles are supposed to work. According to the manual "any combination of menu settings can be permanently stored, e.g. so that they can be retrieved quickly and easily at any time", however this does not seem to be the case. Wondering if this is some kind of bug, if it's a known problem, or whether I am doing something wrong.

I tried creating two profiles, the only difference being that one had the display setting set to EVF EXTENDED and the other profile had it to AUTO. Changing between profiles did nothing in terms of changing the display setting. It would stay as whatever I last directly set it at through the menu item. I tried it a couple times in case I set it wrong, and I also tried resetting everything on the camera. No bueno.

Then I reset everything in the camera again. This time I tried saving more then one setting to each profile, just to see if I am not saving it correctly. I also made sure to choose the default profile in between the making of each profile in case that should matter. I made two new profiles with different settings in Display Settings, AF Mode, Digital Zoom and Exposure Compensation. After I had saved the two User Profiles, I switched back to the Default profile and altered the settings again and made sure it did not match what was supposedly saved to User Profile 1 and 2. Out of these four items, only AF Mode and Exposure Compensation changed when I switched between the profiles. Display Settings and Digital Zoom stayed at what I set it to in the Default Profile.

I cannot see how I'm doing anything wrong when setting this up. Is this the way it's supposed to work, only with some of the menu items and not all?

By the way, when I go to RESET and click YES at Reset User Profiles, the User Profiles does not seem to reset (at least there is something saved at profile 1 and 2 which are the ones I've been trying). However when I choose to reset the Camera Settings they do reset with everything else. Doesn't this seem a bit wierd?

I love everything else about this camera (except perhaps that there is no lcd on/off button, which is sort of what I'm trying to achieve using the user profiles), just wish for this to work as I think it's supposed to work.

Any advice is much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure about the other settings, I just tried mine and it seemed to work fine. I created two profiles, the difference is JPEG SETTING -> SATURATION->monochrome vs. standard. I set the FN button to toggle between user profiles. They all work fine for me. So you might want to give it another try? Good Luck!

Hi,

So, my first post here. Hate for it to be one where I ask for advice, but that's how it is.

I just got a Leica Q a couple days ago. Even though I think of myself as "tech savvy", I cannot wrap my head around how exactly the User Profiles are supposed to work. According to the manual "any combination of menu settings can be permanently stored, e.g. so that they can be retrieved quickly and easily at any time", however this does not seem to be the case. Wondering if this is some kind of bug, if it's a known problem, or whether I am doing something wrong.

I tried creating two profiles, the only difference being that one had the display setting set to EVF EXTENDED and the other profile had it to AUTO. Changing between profiles did nothing in terms of changing the display setting. It would stay as whatever I last directly set it at through the menu item. I tried it a couple times in case I set it wrong, and I also tried resetting everything on the camera. No bueno.

Then I reset everything in the camera again. This time I tried saving more then one setting to each profile, just to see if I am not saving it correctly. I also made sure to choose the default profile in between the making of each profile in case that should matter. I made two new profiles with different settings in Display Settings, AF Mode, Digital Zoom and Exposure Compensation. After I had saved the two User Profiles, I switched back to the Default profile and altered the settings again and made sure it did not match what was supposedly saved to User Profile 1 and 2. Out of these four items, only AF Mode and Exposure Compensation changed when I switched between the profiles. Display Settings and Digital Zoom stayed at what I set it to in the Default Profile.

I cannot see how I'm doing anything wrong when setting this up. Is this the way it's supposed to work, only with some of the menu items and not all?

By the way, when I go to RESET and click YES at Reset User Profiles, the User Profiles does not seem to reset (at least there is something saved at profile 1 and 2 which are the ones I've been trying). However when I choose to reset the Camera Settings they do reset with everything else. Doesn't this seem a bit wierd?

I love everything else about this camera (except perhaps that there is no lcd on/off button, which is sort of what I'm trying to achieve using the user profiles), just wish for this to work as I think it's supposed to work.

Any advice is much appreciated.

You may have hit on the one thing that profiles don't override (at least in my experience). I think that when you turn on a Q, it defaults to the last display setting you had before you turned it off, regardless of which profile you choose. Maybe that's true of digital zoom as well, but I never use that.

But, if I understand you correctly, your main concern is changing display settings. If so, why bother to create 2 profiles that just differ by that one variable? After all, going from one profile to the other just to change display setting doesn't save any more work than just having one profile and toggling the display setting. 

Not sure about the other settings, I just tried mine and it seemed to work fine. I created two profiles, the difference is JPEG SETTING -> SATURATION->monochrome vs. standard. I set the FN button to toggle between user profiles. They all work fine for me. So you might want to give it another try? Good Luck!

Thank you for the reply.

I didn't do a great job at explaining the issue in my original post, let me try to clarify: For most settings the User Profiles will work as you'd expect, such as with the menu item in your example. However, there are some menu items that the User Profiles will simply ignore, such as Digital Zoom, Self-Timer and Display Settings. There may be more, but these are the ones I've found as they are of insterest to me. Settings under these menus cannot be successfully saved to a User Profile in my experience.

You may have hit on the one thing that profiles don't override (at least in my experience). I think that when you turn on a Q, it defaults to the last display setting you had before you turned it off, regardless of which profile you choose. Maybe that's true of digital zoom as well, but I never use that.

But, if I understand you correctly, your main concern is changing display settings. If so, why bother to create 2 profiles that just differ by that one variable? After all, going from one profile to the other just to change display setting doesn't save any more work than just having one profile and toggling the display setting. 

There definetly seems to be a few menu items that is ignored by the User Profiles. It's not an issue when turing on or off the camera, it's that the User Profiles completely ignore these settings and will never overwrite your current selection even though the profile was saved with a different one.

Actually, if you program the FN key to select User Profiles, it is quite a bit faster then going into the menu. All you need then is either 3 or 4 quick presses to change between the two profiles, which I find a whole lot easier and more convenient then going into the menu: FN > RIGHT > OK for User Profile 1, or FN > RIGHT > RIGHT > OK for User Profile 2. My whole idea with this was to try to replicate what I'm used to work with, which is a dedicated button to turn on/off live view.

That said, as it turned out it is not possible to do it the way I want so I just have to work around it. No big deal.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply.

I didn't do a great job at explaining the issue in my original post, let me try to clarify: For most settings the User Profiles will work as you'd expect, such as with the menu item in your example. However, there are some menu items that the User Profiles will simply ignore, such as Digital Zoom, Self-Timer and Display Settings. There may be more, but these are the ones I've found as they are of insterest to me. Settings under these menus cannot be successfully saved to a User Profile in my experience.

There definetly seems to be a few menu items that is ignored by the User Profiles. It's not an issue when turing on or off the camera, it's that the User Profiles completely ignore these settings and will never overwrite your current selection even though the profile was saved with a different one.

Actually, if you program the FN key to select User Profiles, it is quite a bit faster then going into the menu. All you need then is either 3 or 4 quick presses to change between the two profiles, which I find a whole lot easier and more convenient then going into the menu: FN > RIGHT > OK for User Profile 1, or FN > RIGHT > RIGHT > OK for User Profile 2. My whole idea with this was to try to replicate what I'm used to work with, which is a dedicated button to turn on/off live view.

That said, as it turned out it is not possible to do it the way I want so I just have to work around it. No big deal.

I think after a couple thousand pictures, you get used to whatever foibles a camera has. But what you say is broadly a common complaint of the Q, that it was only one FN button and a lot of folks are hoping that the next hardware upgrade will allow us to convert the unused red movie button to another FN button.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think after a couple thousand pictures, you get used to whatever foibles a camera has. But what you say is broadly a common complaint of the Q, that it was only one FN button and a lot of folks are hoping that the next hardware upgrade will allow us to convert the unused red movie button to another FN button.

You're absolutely right. It's just a matter of getting used to it. In my case I come from using a different system for about 10 years now. I've grown very used to how that specific system works and have certain expectations for how it should work. Now that I've had some time to use my Q the gripes I initially had with the camera is mostly gone. 

• Like 1

mbaocc, could you please explain the exact steps you used to FN between monochrome and color in the JPEG menu. I've been trying to do this so I can rapidly switch between mono and color. Thanks!! Mitch Wainer

38wadcutter: Here are the steps

- menu->JEPG setting->Saturation->Monochrome

- menu->User Profile->Save to User Profile 1

- menu->JPEG setting->Saturation->Standard

- menu->User Profile->Save to User Profile 2

- menu->FN button in Live View->User Profile

Now you are all set! When taking pictures, just use FN button on the left to select User Profile 1 for Monochrome and 2 for Color :) Have fun!

Edited by mbaocc

Just tried Digital Zoom as an example, seems it's more like "system" setting instead of per user profile. i.e. the change applies to all user profile. It's nice to know, thanks for bring this up!

Thank you for the reply.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/11/2018 at 5:29 PM, 38wadcutter said:

mbaocc, could you please explain the exact steps you used to FN between monochrome and color in the JPEG menu. I've been trying to do this so I can rapidly switch between mono and color. Thanks!! Mitch Wainer

You can select Film Style in the FN Button and toggle between Nat and the two Mono choices. Instead of NAT you can use  also either ViIV or STD. 

• 1 year later...