What's the deal with all the different 35mm summicron versions?

pinchers of peril

Erwin Puts has detailed descriptions of how each version differs from its predecessor, including MTF charts and practical results from scientifically controlled tests. IMHO his Compendium is the best resource on all Leica lenses...the older online free version just has the text whereas if you really want to get into 400+ highly detailed pages of info on Leica lenses and can cough up the $400+ for a used copy of his latest version, you'll be well rewarded for many months to come. BTW there are other resources out there as well, as indicated above...but what I've gained from reading Puts is a real appreciation of the incredible designing, engineering, and manufacturing of Leica lenses since the beginning.

Edited by spydrxx

Mssr. Perilous Pincher, if you can surrender 1/2-1 stop, consider bypassing the elder Summicron for the likes of the Leica 35 Summarit (ASPH), CV 2,5/35 or Zeiss 35C Biogon. At 1/4-1/2 the price of the (dated) Summicron ASPH, these are epic performers at the wider apertures, particularly the Zeiss, a higher-resolving optic than both Leicas.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 1

Mssr. Perilous Pincher, if you can surrender 1/2-1 stop, consider bypassing the elder Summicron for the likes of the Leica 35 Summarit (ASPH), CV 2,5/35 or Zeiss 35C Biogon. At 1/4-1/2 the price of the (dated) Summicron ASPH, these are epic performers at the wider apertures, particularly the Zeiss, a higher-resolving optic than both Leicas.

Do you have a link that shows the comparison of these lenses? I'm looking at buying a 35mm and putting together my options.

Sean Reid and Lloyd Chambers in their paid sites compare them all, and Erwin Puts has a small piece on the Zeiss 35 C and its exceptional flare resistance. There are others who look at the 35C. The general concensus is that the Zeiss resolves the best of them all wide-open, barely improving when stopped down, exceeded only by the hefty Zeiss 1,4/35. It is a high-contrast lens with typical Zeiss colors, different than the Leica. Some report focus shift with the ASPH; “lct” on this site claims no such issue though most others, including myself have had this issue on digital but not film. At this point, my personal preferences are toward the Zeiss and Leica Summarit for digital sensors on account of the absence of shift. The Summarit has a ‘gentler’ rendering than the Zeiss wide-open, reminiscent of older Summicrons. You can find a myriad of image samples on the web from both.

Boils down to whether you cannot do without that extra stop (or less) for your type of shooting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A bit out of topic.

As long time user of 35mm M lenses and having bought/sold a lot these last decades, new finding.

I must say what I discovered not long ago...last not least 35mm:

Summarit-M 2.5/35mm is my best choice by now.

:)

Nothing (euh only if I use from f/2.5 onward) to complain : top IQ, top handling, short focus throw, compact/light but great ergonomic tab and aperture ring.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I owned a bunch of pre-asph 35mm summicrons- and they were all good- but my favorite was easily the very first 8 element version. Absurdly sharp- and built very solid. Mine had the goggles... I sadly sold it to make way for the 35mm summilux...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!