Aged silver body

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a silver M240 and am curious how an aged silver body look like.  I'm very into black/brass aged look or Lenny's version but I know I will never able to get that.  So... please post some nice pictures so let me see my M's future?  =D  Thanks!

Edited by jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My two chrome M2's I bought used in 1960's look great. Only external wear is the black leatherette/leather/whatever covering that dries and cracks. Or the glue dries out. Whatever. You're out of luck with a chrome Leica. Folks buy the chrome ones because they DON'T wear. (IMHO) Good luck with your photography.

It's too late to find out it won't age, and I have a chrome version.  Maybe I will get a back painted Mxx or SLx in the future.... 

My two chrome M2's I bought used in 1960's look great. Only external wear is the black leatherette/leather/whatever covering that dries and cracks. Or the glue dries out. Whatever. You're out of luck with a chrome Leica. Folks buy the chrome ones because they DON'T wear. (IMHO) Good luck with your photography.

Get an M9, tie it to a rope and drag it behind a pickup truck on dirt roads for a few hours.  This should give the distressed relic patina that you desire. 

JohnnySeven, are you being a Richard?  It sounds like you are being a Richard.

Life's short.  Don't be a Richard. 

Just a thought... ;)

Edited by Herr Barnack

Perhaps the old silver M3 bodies are more brilliant due to gentle buffing by shirts, jackets, etc. over the decades.

I have never owned a silver M, but I do think they are beautiful.  I sometimes think I may get my M10 in silver, but then I look at the photos of the beautifully seductive black on black M10s...

Five year old silver M typ 240. The scratches at each end of the top plate were done by dropping the camera on cobbles at one week old. One of the scratches reveals brass (a tiny spot). When the camera was repaired I asked Leica to leave the damaged top plate on as a permanent reminder.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leather wear and brass peaking through scratch

Drop damage

Leather wear. Not sure what's happening to the play button

Black info paint started coming off within a month

Base plate abuse

iPhone pictures.

I'm afraid that unless you give the camera serious use, hundreds of thousands of frames, carrying it every day unprotected, that the chrome hardware will continue to look like chrome hardware.  The back LCD screen is a different story unless you go with the M-P240.

Eric

First week?! I can feel your pain... how did that happen?

Five year old silver M typ 240. The scratches at each end of the top plate were done by dropping the camera on cobbles at one week old. One of the scratches reveals brass (a tiny spot). When the camera was repaired I asked Leica to leave the damaged top plate on as a permanent reminder.

attachicon.gifaging-1.jpg

Leather wear and brass peaking through scratch

attachicon.gifaging-2.jpg

Drop damage

attachicon.gifaging-3.jpg

Leather wear. Not sure what's happening to the play button

attachicon.gifaging-4.jpg

Black info paint started coming off within a month

attachicon.gifaging-5.jpg

Base plate abuse

iPhone pictures.

First week?! I can feel your pain... how did that happen?

Picture this - cold winter day in Paris, camera on wrist strap, gloves on, about to enter Galignani’s book shop. Pull off glove, camera comes too, lands lens hood of Summicron 90 down, bounces. 600€. Can’t imagine why I would think the glove would slide under the camera strap.

I know it's a coincidence but I had to send my (black) M-P in for  warranty CLA. Since this would take a bit of time I borrowed an M240. They sent me a chrome one. Ofcourse. After just reading this thread. My old silver 35mm f1.4 Summilux asph looks great on it. I'd forgotten how heavy that lens is (I have the black 35mm f1.4 Summilux asph, too - my user). Not an inconspicuous camera though. Ah well, haven't used a chrome Leica in years.