New article: Choosing the best camera for you

Vieri

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ladies and gentlemen, my new article about how to choose the best system for landscape photography is out, I hope you'll find it interesting:

Thanks for reading, best regards

Vieri

Edited by Vieri
  • Like 10

Thanks. If I may suggest this thread might be pinned. As an aid to those exploring the SL as system. I know I would have appreciated it as a professional. And I'm sure helpful posts will follow.

Thank you, I am glad you found it useful and I appreciate the pinning suggestion :)

By the way, Vieri, are you using the S less then?

Yes, so much so that I actually sold the S (007) about a year ago :)

Best regards,

Vieri

• Like 1

I must say I'm a little surprised about your decision with the S. For myself I struggle to find the reason for getting a larger sensor good as they undoubtedly are. Larger sensor, like larger film sizes are just unmistakable in the quality department. Unlike you, I would have made colour and tonality the key deciding factors. But those are non issues as far as my markets are concerned. The SL is quite simply, good enough.

The SL does fail in a rather narrow but important set of parameters for me so it's still inadequate but it's quite a wonder for a front runner of a new line.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great article and makes me so happy in my choice of system, when confirmed is sure a clear well articulated way.

It will also provides me with ways to get more out of my SL.

Loved the insights, like using the meter doing long exposures in M mode.

I have always been using Aperture Priority and your suggestion to M mode lets me dial it in with much more control and understanding.

Much appreciated, you are a great Ambassador.

Very well written article. A pleasure to read. Thank you, Vieri!

Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it :)

I must say I'm a little surprised about your decision with the S. For myself I struggle to find the reason for getting a larger sensor good as they undoubtedly are. Larger sensor, like larger film sizes are just unmistakable in the quality department. Unlike you, I would have made colour and tonality the key deciding factors. But those are non issues as far as my markets are concerned. The SL is quite simply, good enough.

The SL does fail in a rather narrow but important set of parameters for me so it's still inadequate but it's quite a wonder for a front runner of a new line.

I think that the article explains pretty well why I gave up the S and choose the SL instead :)

Great article and makes me so happy in my choice of system, when confirmed is sure a clear well articulated way.

It will also provides me with ways to get more out of my SL.

Loved the insights, like using the meter doing long exposures in M mode.

I have always been using Aperture Priority and your suggestion to M mode lets me dial it in with much more control and understanding.

Much appreciated, you are a great Ambassador.

Thank you very much, I am glad you enjoyed the article, and I am very happy if it did help you to make the most out of your SL :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri,

Great article, thank you for sharing. I also look forward to your thoughts on the new 16-35 lens.

Paul

Hello Paul,

thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it :) I am looking forward to receiving the 16-35mm as soon as possible, and I'll review it as soon as I'll have it in my hands!

Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri, Thanks for posting this. I totally agree with you on what the SL can accomplish. I too have the S007 but it has been little used since I acquired the SL. I am in the process of getting rid of my S system. I have the X1D as my MF system. I guess i really have way too much stuff and I find that I need to relearn a system when I pick it up. The SL is a fairly simple system as is the X1D. My main issue is the weight of a system, my really bad back, and age....!!

Vieri, Thanks for posting this. I totally agree with you on what the SL can accomplish. I too have the S007 but it has been little used since I acquired the SL. I am in the process of getting rid of my S system. I have the X1D as my MF system. I guess i really have way too much stuff and I find that I need to relearn a system when I pick it up. The SL is a fairly simple system as is the X1D. My main issue is the weight of a system, my really bad back, and age....!!

Bill, thank you for your comment, I am glad you enjoyed the article :) My back is still good enough to carry a couple of SL and lenses, but age... nothing we can do about it!

Best regards,

Vieri

Hi Vieri,

Regarding file size and resolution, stitching can increase both. Any thoughts on it's use and implementation? Thanks for a well thought out and articulated article.

Hello Daryl,

thank you for your comment, I am glad you enjoyed the article. As far as stitching, that is certainly a viable option to increase Mp and resolution. It is not a universally possible method though, depending on subject matter, weather condition, your choice of exposure times and so on: plus, you can stitch with tiger resolution sensors as well, making your files even larger, so while it is definitely a tool to consider,  having more resolution would still be a good thing ;)

Best regards,

Vieri

Thanks Vieri.  Interesting that you mention higher resolution sensors because like you I have an S system but use the SL primarily because of size and versatility.   What I find is the SL is so close to the S in image IQ including resolution that I don't see much difference despite pixel peeping and contrary to what I read on forums.  Did you see any compromise going from S to SL files?  Thanks again.  

Thanks Vieri.  Interesting that you mention higher resolution sensors because like you I have an S system but use the SL primarily because of size and versatility.   What I find is the SL is so close to the S in image IQ including resolution that I don't see much difference despite pixel peeping and contrary to what I read on forums.  Did you see any compromise going from S to SL files?  Thanks again.  

It may be your shot discipline needs a higher degree of stability for the S before you will see the difference. Tripods, higher shutter speeds, etc. It's also a measure of how Leica doesn't stinge on quality. The SL is pretty good by any measure.

You are welcome Daryl. By the way, I don't have a S anymore - haven't got one for a year now, moved to a two-SL kit.

Best regards,

Vieri