75mm Summilux - your experience and thoughts

mikeamosau

Posted (edited)

I have the Summilux-M 75 and I'm very happy with it. In the thread mentioned by @evikne I quoted comments by the company I sent mine to for 6-bit coding, cleaning and calibration checking. FWIW, after checking it (see my later post in the same thread), he said it was calibrated as well it could be for my intended use - portraiture - so he wasn't touting for business. His comments on why it is problematic for focus make sense to me, though I have no direct knowledge of whether they are correct. I have no interest in using it at distances beyond five metres or so; within that I find it well behaved, and produces images that you won't get from a modern Apo-Summicron. I also have the Apo-Summicron-SL 75, and have previously owned the Apo-Summicron-M 75. The latter two produce quite different images - I'm glad to have both Apo-Summicron and older Summilux.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Mine went straight to Wetzlar for CLA and coding - perfect ever since.

So did mine, about 8 years ago.

And a joy to use ever since.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

I originally had the 75 APO Summicron-M, and couldn’t gel with it at all.  The worst thing was the focus travel on the focusing ring.  Mine could have ben defective, but I couldn’t get a sharp image at all.  Whereas the 75 Summilux-M has a longer focus throw and I have had no issue with it.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

No focus issues here.  It has a thinner depth of field wide open than a 0.95 Noctilux wide open, so you need to be clear of two things - (1) is your lens well calibrated and (2) you take care to focus carefully.

Exactly. Aside from focus shift (at about f/4), once calibrated, the Summilux 75/1.4 should not be more difficult to focus than other lenses with similar DoF. Examples below @ f/1.4 on M11, FF & crop. No cheat with the Visoflex i promise 😄

https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-Leica-7514/i-wMgbChL/0/DtwC8ZrwknqjBQRjxJQ8Z63gFHPG3gb3g7SKCrMfS/X4/M1107016_sips-X4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-Leica-7514/i-r3sHZvC/0/CNp7475GVLjkpD2HNtbLvhBKrmvXb3VD2gF8SRccd/X4/M1107016_crop-X4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-Leica-7514/i-kw9PG42/0/Drx7V5qpdtjMkF62gwPc8kbQjDMQ8jL4PQfzj4J6R/X4/M1107039_sips-X4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-Leica-7514/i-6R258Dm/0/D9thGvtz7KTp9rbNrhq2HwvZ92KMwt4tC4sXF4wLT/X4/M1107039_crop-X4.jpg

Edited by lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yet another test shot.
MP, Portra 800

• Like 6

And another.  Again MP, this with Ilford Delta 3200 pushed to 6400, Ilford LC 29 1+9 13mins 20ºC

• Like 1

And another! (Same: all these wide open of course.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Graveyard Angel
75Lux v2, MP, Kodak Tri-X at 400
Ilford LC29 1+19 6'30" 20ºC

Charmingly unsharp at 4 metres! 

Still testing, but my copy of this lens appears to back-focus at this distance, which is why I took a series of shots at focus, behind focus and in front of focus. 
Again, will test to make sure but I think the lens focuses rather more accurately at closer than 4m, presumably as it is setup for portraits, naturally.  Indeed, at 2m on this same subject focus is bang on. Delightful!

Edited by Dr Cron

Here's the shot at 2m. 🥰

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 2:20 AM, Dr Cron said:

Yet another test shot.
MP, Portra 800

Better than a just a "test shot". Good colour separation and overall mood! And it shows the lens character nicely (love the bokeh). Also, it looks as if focusing via the range finder isn't an issue at all.

Edited by hansvons

Posted (edited)

Not too shabby at f/5.6 either, this focused at 30ft (and unsharpened; this with x16ND fitted).
(Just working my way through the roll I shot yesterday.)

Edited by Dr Cron

As I say, a bit special.  This wide open again, infinity focus.

I promise I didn't buy this lens just for the bokeh, but my god this is spectacular.

7 hours ago, hansvons said:

Better than a just a "test shot". Good colour separation and overall mood! And it shows the lens character nicely (love the bokeh). Also, it looks as if focusing via the range finder isn't an issue at all.

And have now gone through the whole roll, so can confirm overall focus accuracy using rangefinder is about 75%, with some back-focusing only at 4-5m.  
This is a subsequently-6bit-coded version 2.

On 6/10/2024 at 9:14 AM, Dr Cron said:

[...] I think the lens focuses rather more accurately at closer than 4m, presumably as it is setup for portraits, naturally.  Indeed, at 2m on this same subject focus is bang on [...]

The lens should not be less accurate at 4m than 2m if it is focused at the aperture it is calibrated for. Here for f/1.4 at 10m (link 1) and 2m (link 2). Focus accuracy can be more critical from f/2 to f/4 due to focus shift though. See PebblePlace.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Suburban Colour - Buzzard General Stores
MP, 75 Lux
Portra 160
Bellini C41

• Like 2