75mm Summilux - your experience and thoughts

mikeamosau

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10 + 75 Summilux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

M240 / 75mm Summilux 6bit German version

Great lens, I find it difficult to nail the focus when shooting wide open without the help of the EVF.  

• Like 6

Looking at a number of these pictures shot wide open with the 75mm Summilux, I suspect that either some of these lenses are mis-calibrated or not accurately focused. My late, factory-coded version is actually quite sharp wide open (focus here is on her eye lashes). I love this lens. 

Erik

Edited by egrossman
  • Like 10

• 1 year later...

If there is enough demand to justify releasing 75 Noctilux (very bulky and expensive), why not release a new 75 Summilux too?

I need a 75, and the main reason I'm not getting a Noctilux is because of its size and weight.  The discontinued 75 Summilux is too soft wide open for my taste, and I would have liked a modern Summilux, so I guess i'll be getting an APO.

I really wonder if people are actually buying the 75 Noctilux in enough numbers for it to stay in production.

7 hours ago, MrFriendly said:

If there is enough demand to justify releasing 75 Noctilux

I don't know if this was the reason for this adventure; perhaps they estimated that this lens would not be bought by the masses, so it's price is accordingly. I think it is more a flagship of Leica's optical capacities, for Sheiks to show off.

7 hours ago, MrFriendly said:

75 Summilux is too soft wide open

I have my third 75lux now and I can safely state that not every copy is the same. My current copy is the sharpest of the three. Besides, given the inherent focus shift, not every 75lux is optimized at the same aperture either, I had mine optimized for my M9 and M9M at F1.7 and it is not soft at all there. If you have an M240 or up there's always life view of course. Here's an example, F1.7:

But I have to say that I suspect this lens to be relatively good in the close range, about between 70cm and 2m

Edited by otto.f

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, Dr No said:

Mine is sharp and wonderful. I love the way it mixes colour and tone wide open and its black and white images in particular are superb. Mine until death do us part.

So is mine. I will never sell it either. I seldom use it, but when I take it, results are always amazing. Creamy bokeh and subtle tonality...

On 10/16/2019 at 6:10 AM, forestlander said:

M10 + 75 Summilux

What a beautiful rendering!  I have been thinking about 75mm lenses for a while and this image certainly makes a compelling case for the 75mm Summilux.

It would be great if Leica would bring back the 75 Summilux, particularly since they quit the 75./2.4 Summarit. 

Actually, I would like to see Leica bring both of these lenses back.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I've had four of them. Each one different from the other. The latest was super sharp, a little step behind 90 Elmarit-M (no kidding), I sold it for a Noctilux 75 and now, an year later, I've just sold the Noctilux because of itssize and weight. I tried 2 75 Summilux recently (one certified by Leica Wetzlar) and were awful, completely out of specs.

Long story short, don't buy it if you can't verify it.

The 75 Noctilux is f/1.25 wide open, and we already have the AA Summicron 75.  Why would Leica make a new 75 Summilux f/1.4? And why would it be significant;y smaller, lighter and cheaper, as it would need to be an APO …

As I recall, the 75 Summilux was one of Mandler’s last and favourite lenses, and one that Karbe is not very fond of. 

Edited by IkarusJohn

On 12/22/2020 at 5:13 PM, otto.f said:

I have to say that I suspect this lens to be relatively good in the close range, about between 70cm and 2m

Sure but DoF is very thin then so better use a magnifier or an EVF (Sony A7s mod + Summilux 75/1.4 @ f/1.4).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Artin said:

I just picked up a copy of an early v2 Summilux in very good shape , it is very sharp wide open and very well adjusted with my rangefinder on the M10R at close focus, the lens has a slight focus shift at longer focus distance.. this was the experience I had with my previous summilux . 

Problem of most 75 lux, suddenly.

• 5 months later...

I have been pondering about a 75 Noctilux or a 75 Summilux for a while and after much deliberation I went for the latter. 

Today I received my copy of a very well preserved lux 75. I have to admit I am very impressed by the rendering and how sharp it is with both my M10M and SL2. The second picture is wide open on the M10M , the first one is f 5.6 on the SL2.

I now understand why this lens has such a reputation. 

• Like 6