75mm Summilux - your experience and thoughts

mikeamosau

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Depends on the kind of photos you intend to take. In low light, the 75/1.4 has little competition besides the 75/1.25 i have no experience with. For portraits, the 75/1.4 is more forgiving than modern designs but so is the 90/2 v3 which is less expensive by a significant margin. Main difference, aside from subjective considerations, the 75/1.4 is significantly softer at f/1.4 than the 90/2 v3 at f/2. Also the latter has more CA but 75/1.4 has more focus shift. For street, both lenses are rather bulky, too much so for me but this is a matter of tastes obviously. For landscapes, f/1.4 is hardly necessary and modern lenses like 75/2 or 90/2 apo have more acutance so at the end of the day i would consider the 75/1.4 as a unique soft portrait lens that can take very good if not outstanding pictures otherwise but is hard to beat in low light aside from the 75/1.25. YMMV.

Very interesting post and really appreciate your thoughts on this. I have generally chased a look when purchasing lenses, but also need to consider the practical uses as well. I have found renting a lens generally not helpful as I need to spend some time with the field of view along with the lenses character to see if it's something I gel with. That being said, the 90mm was not a lens I enjoyed after a few weeks of use. The 75mm f2 is also a beautiful lens and something I am also looking at with the advantages of size rendering, but since I have number of more modern lenses, the idea of pairing the older design along with my love of shooting in low light, makes this option very tempting.

Thanks again

Mike

Wow! Thank you so much for posting the link to your folio. These shots are just stunning. I love the close up image of the pipe. It's so simple, beautifully framed, the monochrome tones just melt together and it really shows off what I love about the DOF on this lens.

This has really pushed me over the edge on this lens. Thanks again!

Mike

My pleasure. I would like to add that:

- this kind of prooves that the framelines of the 75 where some people complain about, need not be a problem

- in this series I had put lens recognition OFF (tip from a forum member), which in my view contributed to the special tonal rendering which this lens is capable of

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

IMO, one of the best reasons to own a Leica system.  Perhaps my standards are low, or I have a great copy, but I find the notion of the lens being soft overblown. My Summarit 1.5 and Summilux 35v2  are certainly soft wide open. This lens might not equal the more modern razor blades, but neither is it a bowl of Jello. Not a great photo, but hopefully illustrative. 

26538757468_88d2f46cfd_b.jpg

100% crop

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful lens, really shines with SL where EVF enables precise focus, this shot was taken in a room illuminated with a single table lamp, ISO 10,000 f1.4, focus is on the dogs eyes.

• Like 1

Karbe's new 75mm Noctilux just plain ruins my appreciation of my own 75mm Summilux, but as I've said before,

reluctantly, the price puts me off. Darned reality! Still nobody I know will ever care except some on this group. And me!

Edited by pico
  • Like 4

Newer is usually improvement over older, progress is inevitable and Leica needed new star lens to remain current and generate new sales. No matter how Noctilux 75mm may be technically and aesthetically improvement over old timer I am happy for Leica but wallet will remain closed. One reference lens I have, APO Summicron M 50mm is enough.

I look forward to see other people’s noctilux 75mm pictures, even more looking forward to see comparison between Summilux and Noctilux 75mm.

• Like 4

IMO, one of the best reasons to own a Leica system.  Perhaps my standards are low, or I have a great copy, but I find the notion of the lens being soft overblown. My Summarit 1.5 and Summilux 35v2  are certainly soft wide open. This lens might not equal the more modern razor blades, but neither is it a bowl of Jello. Not a great photo, but hopefully illustrative. 

100% crop

attachicon.gifduckdetail75mm.jpg

Have to say, I agree. Many of the example photos I have seen, including this one, have been very sharp (for my taste) and I think this lens seems to perform extremely well. Thanks so much for the post of the 100% - really great to see.

Mike

• Like 1

IMO, one of the best reasons to own a Leica system. Perhaps my standards are low, or I have a great copy, but I find the notion of the lens being soft overblown. My Summarit 1.5 and Summilux 35v2 are certainly soft wide open. This lens might not equal the more modern razor blades, but neither is it a bowl of Jello. Not a great photo, but hopefully illustrative.

100% crop

attachicon.gifduckdetail75mm.jpg

Hi, I have 75mm Summilux, last version. It was CLA’d and 6-bit coded by Will van Manen in the Netherlands. Wide open, it is not as sharp as my 50mm Summicron IV, but it is no slouch - it is totally usable at f/1.4. Certainly not “jello”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I too have most of the modern fast ASPH lenses  (but I have no interest in the 75 Noctilux due to bulk & weight, need for EVF-only use, and that it's a lot of money for another 1-2 f-stops that I would hardly use (as I'm not into the zero-depth-of-field look). Arguably there are no imaging benefits of the Noctliux over the APO-Summicron at the same apertures.  So I would be paying fa lot i weight and dollars for those exceptionally well corrected stops between 1.2 and 2.0 that I would never use.

I bought a 75 Summilux for its ethereal and mythical imaging, a late production German made version, and had it calibrated and 6-bit coded in Germany. I have had no issues with focus accuracy (especially on the M10). My plan was to compare the APO-Summicron and Summilux, and then sell the one I didn't like. Needless to say I still have both  . 

The 75 Summilux is like my 1.0/50 Noctilux (a gift from a friend but I rarely use it faster than f1.4 for the same reason as m.entioned above) but, as someone posted earlier the 75 is a more intimate focal length and better corrected than the 1.0/50 Noctilux.  They are my art lenses - they do indeed have etherial and mythical imaging :rolleyes:As opposed to the modern lenses with almost transparent imaging (like looking through a widow at the scene), these lenses look like they have painted the photograph.  

My next problem (first world) was that the old Mandler lenses rendered so differently to my modern lenses that I didn't have a wider lens to pair with the 75 Sumilux. So, of course, that started another flare of GAS which was successfully treated with a 35 Summicron IV   :D

It is interesting that when I show my photographs to people who know or care little about the technical aspects of photography, and even less about lenses, the photographs taken with the 1.0/50 Noctilux and 1.4/75 Summilux are the ones where they stop me and ask 'what on earth did you take that photograph with?'

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/218058-advice-on-75-summilux/

You may find this useful.  This is a thread I started some years ago asking the same question as you about the 75 Summilux.

By post #51 I had bought the lens  :wub:.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 9

I too have most of the modern fast ASPH lenses  (but I have no interest in the 75 Noctilux due to bulk & weight, need for EVF-only use, and that it's a lot of money for another 1-2 f-stops that I would hardly use (as I'm not into the zero-depth-of-field look). Arguably there are no imaging benefits of the Noctliux over the APO-Summicron at the same apertures.  So I would be paying fa lot i weight and dollars for those exceptionally well corrected stops between 1.2 and 2.0 that I would never use.

I bought a 75 Summilux for its ethereal and mythical imaging, a late production German made version, and had it calibrated and 6-bit coded in Germany. I have had no issues with focus accuracy (especially on the M10). My plan was to compare the APO-Summicron and Summilux, and then sell the one I didn't like. Needless to say I still have both  . 

The 75 Summilux is like my 1.0/50 Noctilux (a gift from a friend but I rarely use it faster than f1.4 for the same reason as m.entioned above) but, as someone posted earlier the 75 is a more intimate focal length and better corrected than the 1.0/50 Noctilux.  They are my art lenses - they do indeed have etherial and mythical imaging :rolleyes:As opposed to the modern lenses with almost transparent imaging (like looking through a widow at the scene), these lenses look like they have painted the photograph.  

My next problem (first world) was that the old Mandler lenses rendered so differently to my modern lenses that I didn't have a wider lens to pair with the 75 Sumilux. So, of course, that started another flare of GAS which was successfully treated with a 35 Summicron IV   :D

It is interesting that when I show my photographs to people who know or care little about the technical aspects of photography, and even less about lenses, the photographs taken with the 1.0/50 Noctilux and 1.4/75 Summilux are the ones where they stop me and ask 'what on earth did you take that photograph with?'

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/218058-advice-on-75-summilux/

You may find this useful.  This is a thread I started some years ago asking the same question as you about the 75 Summilux.

By post #51 I had bought the lens  :wub:.

Haha! Oh boy - this link to the old thread is so very very dangerous. Thanks so much for posting and for your thoughts on the lens.

Now - lets see if I can pass post #51 before my will power is overcome!

Thanks so much!

Mike

• Like 2

It is interesting that when I show my photographs to people who know or care little about the technical aspects of photography, and even less about lenses, the photographs taken with the 1.0/50 Noctilux and 1.4/75 Summilux are the ones where they stop me and ask 'what on earth did you take that photograph with?’

Enormously true!

• Like 4

The 75mm Summilux is just one of those extraordinary lenses.

The new Noctilux is obviously quite incredible and in many measurable ways better, but I think it looses something in its rendering that the Summilux just has. That uncorrected, velvety, airy, super diffuse softness. The transition between sharp and soft is incredibly smooth and it gives it a feeling of calm and tranquility. The contrast and tonality is so gentle and pleasing - you just don't find this in modern lenses.

It's lenses like this that are the very reason I use the M and I can't see that ever changing.

• Like 11

The 75mm Summilux is just one of those extraordinary lenses.

The new Noctilux is obviously quite incredible and in many measurable ways better, but I think it looses something in its rendering that the Summilux just has. That uncorrected, velvety, airy, super diffuse softness. The transition between sharp and soft is incredibly smooth and it gives it a feeling of calm and tranquility. The contrast and tonality is so gentle and pleasing - you just don't find this in modern lenses.

It's lenses like this that are the very reason I use the M and I can't see that ever changing.

Keep posting like that, please ...

• 3 weeks later...

Last week, I had a few minutes with the Noctilux-M 75 mm Asph on my camera. No detailed evaluation or review here, just a few observations:

The lens ist huge and heavy but not beyond reason. If you can handle a Noctilux-M 50 mm Asph, a Summilux-M 75 mm, or a Summicron 90 mm then you can also handle the new 75. However the 75 does max out the girth, as at minimum focus and with the built-in hood extended, the lower left corner of the rangefinder patch will be obstructed. But then, it's only the corner so it won't really hamper proper focusing. This applies to the traditional M rangefinder as well as to the new M10 rangefinder.

I have no idea where all that bunkum about lack of rangefinder focusing accuracy is coming from. There's a myth evolving you needed an EVF for accurate focusing—but that's hogwash. Focusing the Noctilux-M 75 mm Asph via rangefinder on an M camera is no harder than with the Noctilux-M 50 mm Asph or Summilux-M 75 mm and definitely easier than with the Apo-Summicron-M 75 mm Asph.

• Like 2

Nice lens for portraits, but hard to focus wide open. Here is a photo of my niece, I could only focus on her right eye and yet a slight movement made the focus a little off. Please ignore the exif, I changed lens without correcting lens info.

Edited by mikozia
  • Like 5

I had the 75/1.4, and agree with everyone about liking the optical performance.  Unfortunately that was the only thing I liked about it.  The size and weight meant it got left behind when I traveled.  That it blocked a significant portion of the viewfinder frame (even with the hood retracted) was a significant annoyance (although now with the M240 and an EVF I might have worked around it).  The focus ring was very stiff and had a very long throw, which was a hindrance in all but slow-moving situations.  Finally, I found 75mm too much of an in-between focal length.  But to reiterate, optically the 75/1.4 was a stunner.