CL with Nikon lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm an (extremely happy) Q owner and also shoot film with a Nikon FE with 24, 50, 90, and 80-200 glass (all, AI manual)

I'm thinking of the Nikon 7200, which is a half sensor and which will work perfectly (increasing focal length by 50%) with my old lenses, so that I can also buy the fantastic AF-S Nikkor 300 f/4E PF ED VR that with the half sensor will turn into a 450 for birding.

However, after the Q, I just can't fully get my head around any digital camera besides the Leica: just too many buttons and too inelegant. I really love what I read about the CL and have thought about it for my non-Q alternative (which will make all the lenses the same focal length as the Nikon 7200).

However, I also want to use all my Nikon glass, esp. my contemplated 300. Or is there any obvious (not more than ~ $2k) alternative for birding telephoto (equivalent of at least 400) with the CL?

Is anyone shooting Nikon glass with their CL? how and what's their experience?

many thanks.

Edited by bags27

I've shot a little bit with my Nikon glass. Coming from the Fuji X Series, I used all my Nikon glass there. I haven't used any really long lenses (yet, but there is a separate forum topic for that.)

I've played around with my 85mm and 105mm. My only comment would be that they are a little bit trickier to hold than my X-Pro2, as the Pro2 is a little larger and also has the shape on the right side to assist (which you can get with the Leica grip.) I'm sure it would work fantastic on a tripod.

I'm using a Photodiox Nikon N to Leica M adaptor, and then the Leica M to L adaptor. 

Michael

I have used the CL with adaptors and various lenses, including the Canon EF 100-400, problem is of course that you have no control of the aperture once mounted so only possible to shoot wide open... that would be the case I believe with your contemplated 300.   Older manual glass - no problem.   That is unless someone can tell me I am missing something.  

Like many others I am hoping that Leica will come up with something longer than the 55-135 in the near future, of course there is the very tempting 90-280.

In the meantime it's fun to play around with alternatives, the CL is just a treat to use. 

Edited by Boojay

There is a whole line of Olympus Zuiko OM Auto-T lenses ranging from 300 to 600 mm, which are

a.High optical quality

b. Light and compact

c. Affordable on the used market.

d. Completely manual.

Personally I would prefer those over Nikon lenses on the CL.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a whole line of Olympus Zuiko OM Auto-T lenses ranging from 300 to 600 mm, which are

a.High optical quality

b. Light and compact

c. Affordable on the used market.

d. Completely manual. [...]

Interesting indeed. My Zuiko 21/2 could find a new life this way although image magnification would not be possible on the CL i guess. Would you have any info about adapters for those lenses?

Leica CL-M, M-OM, the last one is available in many brands. With this combo you should be able to get magnification by a flick of the right wheel. I'll test it out this weekend. There is a decent 1.4x extender too.

• Like 1

Leica CL-M, M-OM, the last one is available in many brands. With this combo you should be able to get magnification by a flick of the right wheel. I'll test it out this weekend. There is a decent 1.4x extender too.

What about vignetting using OM lens on CL?

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

Thanks so much, all.

Jeffry,

What are the two adapters that you use?

thanks.

I use only one ( Novoflex LET/Nik for Nikon F lens to leica and T and SL Camera. it works just fine on the CL. 

https://leicastoremiami.com/pages/search-results-page?q=+Novoflex+LET%2FNIK+Adapter+for+Nikon+F+Lens+to+Leica+T+and+SL+Camera 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Jeffry Abt
  • Like 1

Interesting indeed. My Zuiko 21/2 could find a new life this way although image magnification would not be possible on the CL i guess. Would you have any info about adapters for those lenses?

i just mounted the L-M adapter and a 10$ no-name M-OM one, then the 75-150 Zuiko. Worked perfectly, CL said: unknown lens  and focus magnification was fine. No vignetting.

• Like 2

I use only one ( Novoflex LET/Nik for Nikon F lens to leica and T and SL Camera. it works just fine on the CL. 

https://leicastoremiami.com/pages/search-results-page?q=+Novoflex+LET%2FNIK+Adapter+for+Nikon+F+Lens+to+Leica+T+and+SL+Camera 

attachicon.gifNovo.jpg

I use the same Novoflex adapter (it has aperture control) with Nikon lenses on my M240 and Nex6. Works like a charm.

• Like 2

I'm an (extremely happy) Q owner and also shoot film with a Nikon FE with 24, 50, 90, and 80-200 glass (all, AI manual)

I'm thinking of the Nikon 7200, which is a half sensor and which will work perfectly (increasing focal length by 50%) with my old lenses, so that I can also buy the fantastic AF-S Nikkor 300 f/4E PF ED VR that with the half sensor will turn into a 450 for birding.

However, after the Q, I just can't fully get my head around any digital camera besides the Leica: just too many buttons and too inelegant. I really love what I read about the CL and have thought about it for my non-Q alternative (which will make all the lenses the same focal length as the Nikon 7200).

However, I also want to use all my Nikon glass, esp. my contemplated 300. Or is there any obvious (not more than ~ $2k) alternative for birding telephoto (equivalent of at least 400) with the CL?

Is anyone shooting Nikon glass with their CL? how and what's their experience?

many thanks.

Hello,

I have been using T for several years, and now CL. Most of my pictures have been taken with old and manual Nikkor lenses with both cameras.

I am using a Novoflex adapter that works for both AI and G lenses ( MF and AF). But you should realize that Novoflex doesn’t have any electrical connection with the camera. Therefore, the AF lenses become manual, meaning you should focus manually. But the aperture if fine and you can use the aperture ring on the lens without any problem.

If you enjoy using MF like me, you can use all your Nikkor lenses without any problem and get perfect results.

One more thing that you should also realize is the magnification work perfectly well on T, but as CL has a profiling feature for Leica M and R lenses, and as The Novoflex doesn’t have any electrical connection with CL, the magnification doesn’t work with the top wheel.

But I found out that you can still have magnification with up/down arrows that are on the right of your Screen. I got used to it and I am using that technique very fast and without any problem. Also, the focus peaking works perfectly well. But you should always set the focus on MF on the camera.

I hope I could help. To see samples of these combinations, you are welcome to check my galleries below my signature.

Good luck,

Louis

• Like 2

Magnification will work on the top wheel if you stack  the Leica L-M adapter and an M-to whatever lens one.

The camera will switch to manual focus automatically too in that case.

The problem lies in the CL not recognizing the passive third-party adapter you are using.

If you have the Leica adapter and then any other adapter the camera will see the M adapter .and you can chhose between an (uncoded) M lens or an "unknown" lens.

• Like 1

The magnification with Nikkor lenses via Novoflex only works as I described above. This is an issue lengthy discussed with Jono and others when CL came. I am not talking about M or R mount lenses, but only about Nikkor lenses and Novoflex adapter.... I am using this combination every day.

Yes, that is correct, but the problem is not the lens but the Novoflex (or rather non-Leica) passive adapter. If you use the official L-M adapter and continue by stacking third-party adapters, the problem is solved. I can  mount any third-party lens that way, and the right-wheel magnification is operational. So you should use the official CL L-M adapter and the Novoflex M-Nikon one, not the Novoflex L-Nikon, that one is electronically crippled on the CL.

Note that I did not mention M or R lenses. BTW, if you mount an M lens on the Novoflex L-M adapter, the same issue turns up.

• Like 2

Hello,

I have been using T for several years, and now CL. Most of my pictures have been taken with old and manual Nikkor lenses with both cameras.

I am using a Novoflex adapter that works for both AI and G lenses ( MF and AF). But you should realize that Novoflex doesn’t have any electrical connection with the camera. Therefore, the AF lenses become manual, meaning you should focus manually. But the aperture if fine and you can use the aperture ring on the lens without any problem.

If you enjoy using MF like me, you can use all your Nikkor lenses without any problem and get perfect results.

One more thing that you should also realize is the magnification work perfectly well on T, but as CL has a profiling feature for Leica M and R lenses, and as The Novoflex doesn’t have any electrical connection with CL, the magnification doesn’t work with the top wheel.

But I found out that you can still have magnification with up/down arrows that are on the right of your Screen. I got used to it and I am using that technique very fast and without any problem. Also, the focus peaking works perfectly well. But you should always set the focus on MF on the camera.

I hope I could help. To see samples of these combinations, you are welcome to check my galleries below my signature.

Good luck,

Louis

Thank you so very much, Louis, for all your kind help. I am a bit embarrassed, because I didn't immediately draw the connection to your other name on DPReview and pm-ed you there. Again thanks.

BTW, are you using a manual Nikon telephoto lens? something that might equal 400mm or more on the CL?

• Like 1

:)

I just responded to your PM in the other site. :)

I have never used 300 oe 400 mm lenses for simple reason I do not have any of them, and frankly, I find them too large for the tiny CL, even on a tripod. But in general, I think any Nikkor lens that has a focus and aperture ring could work with Novoflex adapter. This adapter also has a ring (the blue part) that works a little like the aperture ring of the lens. You can open or close the aperture since the camera takes care of the shutter speed. But is not quite like the aperture control of the lens.

• Like 2