CornerFix 0.9.1.0 (aka 16-bit Cornerfix) available for download

sandymc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm that person who's supposed to be looking at porting to the Mac ... I held off starting until Sandy was comfortable with the 16bit support. That's now happened so I don't have that excuse any more. My second excuse for not having it done yet is that I also have a pretty hectic day job that provides the means for me to buy Leica equipment that needs a Cornerfix solution :D

As I disussed with Sandy off-list, I think that the best approach for the Mac port is to forego a lot of the nice whizzy graphics and provide a scriptable tool that can be delivered with an Applescript GUI wrapper but will also permit usage as described by Carsten. This approach also allows for a similar preview/post process viewer as the current Cornerfix at a later date as the component architecture would be ideal for repurposing for this. One of the really nice things about the Mac platform is that it's Unix which means it is easy to produce a tool that could also be used with Linux plus extended and made more sophisticated through scripting.

My goals for the Mac version are to provide:

1) a basic command line tool that can be reused as the basis of a family of tools.

2) a sample script/wraper application to provide a GUI to make profile creation and profile execution easy to do from the Mac OS X desktop.

3) Some sample scripts to show automation of the tool in a similar manner to Carsten's EXIF/lens id mapping to profiles.

4) a richer GUI interface application similar to Sandy's pre/post image view. (For me, this is actually a low priority).

5) a tool that could be incorporated as a filter/script object into PS CS3. This isn't ideal because of the problems of prior ACR manipulation of the data vs DNG but I'm sure it could be made to produce superior results to those achievable through tools such as the colour channel vignette tool in Panotools for example.

In summary, I'll start on delivery of the command line tool later this week. I can't give you a timeline yet as it's a skunk works development effort for me. I said to Sandy that if he's willing and has the time to start the Mac port himself then to go right ahead without me - I'll still build the tool myself for my own personal use anyway either way.

Sandy; if you need a Mac development machine to kick off his work ... I can send you one completely set up with an Apple development environment pre-configured on it. How's that for an offer?

Graham

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

Graham and I have been talking off-list, and I think the way we will go ahead is that Graham is going to look at porting the core engine of CornerFix to a Mac command line utility, while I take a look at the potential for a GUI'd interface, similar to the current Windows version. I have btw, managed to get my hands on a Mac box to do some development work on.

The time line for both of these is unknown, and the technology challenges in building the GUI version may be significant, so don't hold your breath for either.

Sandy

All,

Graham and I have been talking off-list, and I think the way we will go ahead is that Graham is going to look at porting the core engine of CornerFix to a Mac command line utility, while I take a look at the potential for a GUI'd interface, similar to the current Windows version. I have btw, managed to get my hands on a Mac box to do some development work on.

The time line for both of these is unknown, and the technology challenges in building the GUI version may be significant, so don't hold your breath for either.

Sandy

Sandy, Graham,

This is fantastic news for us 'Mac Users' many many thanks. I do like the idea of the GUI'd Interface as i think that this is what the Mac is all about, but Graham's ideas on incorporating Cornerfix as a filter/script object into PS CS3 dos sound extermely interesting. Best of speed guys.

Regards

Eric

excuse me for chipping in with such a prosaic question. I've been away a while and rather lost track....

Is the in camera processing to compensate for cyan corners still only applicable when shooting jpg format? i.e. this corner fix is for RAW format only?

Right now it's for processing raw format at this time, although there's no reason why it couldn't also apply to jpg in the future.

It's not just cyan really but any colour vignette removal based on a base profile image. (i.e. white image with cyan/other coloured vignette taken with camera/lens).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you're prepared to incorporate cornerfix into your raw processing workflow then you are correct that you don't really need lens coding at all. However, it's much more efficient and simpler to have the camera do it at image capture time with coded lenses, so long as the correction is accurate.

I've run into a number of scenarios where Cornerfix is useful even with coded lenses, particularly when you have a mix of coded lenses, Leica filters, non-Leica filters and introduce human error into the whole process. For example, I recently took a bunch of shots using my WATE with UV/IR enabled in the menu but I'd removed my B+W UV/IR filter for the session. Of course, the camera was happy to recognize the lens and apply the cyan fix to images that had no cyan vignette in the first place, resulting in red shift into the corners. With Cornerfix I was able to shoot a reference image without the filter and use this to reverse out the red-shift. Even with the B+W filter fitted the correction isn' t perfect in camera (Leica filters being rarer than hen's teeth in 55/49 etc) so Cornerfix can be used to fix these corrections too.

Given that there's a common set of lenses and usage scenarios plus lens to lens variability seems to not be a factor in the conversions, then it would be a good idea to produce some reference corrections and incorporate their parameters into the application itself as presets. That way it would be easy to select reference corrections from the menu for CV 12, CV 15, Leica UV/IR, B+W UV/IR, Heliopan UV/IR, incorrect WATE menu selections etc. You'd still be able to create & use your own profiles from your own targets but it would be simpler for the majority of users who need to correct the common lens combinations.

ahh, so corner colour correction (and presumably vignetting correction?) Are being done on RAW files at the time of capture?

As I remember, at launch lens coding was being used for vignetting correction but only in jpg files, then the whole IR issue kicked off and cyan corners reared their head. But I could not remember reading that the in-camera processing was now being done on RAW files as well.

I guess I need to get on with the self-coding experiment I was planning after all..

Guy

The camera processes the raw image when lens detection and/or UV/IR detection is enabled and it finds a coded lens. You can see the effect if you shoot and review the image with a wide lens - when select review you'll see the base raw image and then within a second or so the image will re-render itself with vignette and corner cyan areas corrected.

The in-camera corrections are applied to the raw and jpg files.

In that this software is not currently available for Mac, has anyone tried the lens cast calibration facility in Capture One Pro as an alternative. It is one of the few things that might make me interested in the rather expensive upgrade from LE.

Wilson

In that this software is not currently available for MacWilson

Wilson,

As far as i know the Mac version is being worked on at the moment not only by Graham, but also Sandy the original author of the Windows version, so it may be worthwhile holding off on any upgrade to C1.

Regards

Eric

Wilson,

As far as i know the Mac version is being worked on at the moment not only by Graham, but also Sandy the original author of the Windows version, so it may be worthwhile holding off on any upgrade to C1.

Regards

Eric

Eric,

I was not seriously contemplating upgrading from C1LE to C1Pro. It strikes me as particularly poor value. Upgrade to CS3 would have to come before that in any case. What I was hoping for was that someone who had both the Windows version of C1Pro and Corner Fix was going to say to me that for the M8, Corner Fix works a lot better anyway.

Wilson

Eric,

What I was hoping for was that someone who had both C1Pro and Corner Fix was going to say to me that for the M8, Corner Fix works a lot better anyway.

Wilson

I hope so too. :)

Eric

... has anyone tried the lens cast calibration facility in Capture One Pro as an alternative. ...

Wilson

This feature is currently ONLY enabled for files from Phase One digital backs, and so won't work with M8 raw files.

The oft rumored new version of Capture One was supposed to allow this correction for all supported raw files. Of course, this new version is still vaporware at the moment.

• 5 weeks later...
All,

Sandy

Sandy, Graham,

Is there any news on the Mac version?

Regards

Eric

I may be a little closer than Sandy - I do have a working prototype with GUI at the moment but it's not yet ready for prime time.

I'm on the road this week but hopefully I'll have something that folks can try at the end of next weekend. No promises - that's just when I'm trying to get something out there.

Sean,

The 12 & 15 profiles taken with both 486 & Leica filters would be great.

Stretching things a bit further if you have the time ... another set of very useful profiles would be for mis-calibrated WATE - i.e. camera / lens mismatch for in-camera correction. I'm forever forgetting to set the camera to match the WATE focal length so I have to fix up 16mm set at 18 or 21, 18 at 16/21 or 21 at 16/18 etc. Leica filter ok.

Hey, if you don't ask ... :D