Will there be TL3?

It seems Leica really likes this elegant design and robust construction. The flippable external EVF also has its value.

Not sure how it is appreciated with CL as another choice.

Maybe adding a built-in EVF? But then it will be a matter of TL3 vs. CL2.

Edited by Einst_Stein

I have the feeling that once they run out of the milled aluminum bodies, that will be it for the TL cameras.

I just hope they give us one more firmware update to bring the AF performance up to the CL level..

• Like 1

^^^^^

…. scroll forward to 23m 20 seconds where Dr Kaufmann, holding the TL,  states: " … much more opportunities than you see here … you will hear something next year regarding this … June 2018 …"    So maybe the TL3 prototype was being tested when the video was made last year?  The CL was discussed earller in the video … but it was the TL which was held in Dr. A.K.'s hands.

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

I just hope they give us one more firmware update to bring the AF performance up to the CL level..

Amen to that.  The CL has been out for 6 months and it really should already have happened... If technically not possible it would be interesting to know the reason why it cannot be done...

^^^^^

…. scroll forward to 23m 20 seconds where Dr Kaufmann, holding the TL,  states: " … much more opportunities than you see here … you will hear something next year regarding this … June 2018 …"    So maybe the TL3 prototype was being tested when the video was made last year?  The CL was discussed earller in the video … but it was the TL which was held in Dr. A.K.'s hands.

dunk 

He was holding the TL2 but he was talking about the L-mount though... and saying that the L-mount was designed with the SL already in mind...

Some people have interpreted this as that there might a medium format system coming also using the L-mount...  I guess we will know soon...

The initial vision for the T was that it would morph into a mobile device...  If there is ever a TL3 I wonder how much of that is still in the works...

• Like 1

I personally hope so.  As far as design and look and feel goes I still prefer the T/TL2 to the CL.

That being said the TL3 would need to be more performant which a/o would mean a built-in EVF, AF on par with the CL and an easier way to change focus point.  

Two more important questions for me personally though:

• Will there be more lens options.  After the 2 initial lenses there were 5 more lenses in 4 years or 1.25 lenses per year.   Not exactly an impressive track record...
  • Will there be zooms with OIS?  Or will any of the new bodies have IBIS?  

TL with an EVF is already here, and it's called CL.

Adding EVF to the TL will unavoidably change its design from what it is to something totally different. And yes, again - Leica did it already and it's a CL :)

I see a reason to add EVF! But TL is about a design. If you add EVF, you'll loose it's design so much that you'd get a different camera. And yes - you'd get a CL. They even have the almost-same wheels! 

I have no idea whether there will be a TL3...

In theory

It sounds for me like a beautiful idea - to have a "brother and sister" cameras in the lineup. One which is beautiful and modern, while other one being more traditional.

But in practice

We have a brother and his handicapped-via-software sister which makes the sister redundant. 

Edited by Wojtek
  • Like 2

... The initial vision for the T was that it would morph into a mobile device...  If there is ever a TL3 I wonder how much of that is still in the works...

Only in the minds of some here, surely. When you say “mobile device” I assume you mean phone. Where has Leica ever said that?

I believe it is an misinteroretation. It is surely an Apple stylish inspired high tech fashion, and fool proof user interfacr.

IPhone is not the first of that. The iPhone stylish fashion starts way back, --- what is it called? The Apple music player?

In fact, sometimes I wonder how much the Leica minimalist inspired Steven Job.

I believe it is an misinteroretation. It is surely an Apple stylish inspired high tech fashion, and fool proof user interfacr.

IPhone is not the first of that. The iPhone stylish fashion starts way back, --- what is it called? The Apple music player?

In fact, sometimes I wonder how much the Leica minimalist inspired Steven Job.

I'm sure you mean the Apple I

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

*On display in the Smithsonian.

Only in the minds of some here, surely. When you say “mobile device” I assume you mean phone. Where has Leica ever said that?

That was Leica CEO Oliver Kaltner in an interview in February 2017:

"And if i would put a personal bet on the most important future line that our current have in our portfolio, we have and definitely will remain in our portfolio is the Leica TL. It is the upcoming shining star. Because we are developing further and further into that, it will turn into a mobile device. "

https://leicarumors.com/2017/02/03/interview-with-leica-ceo-oliver-kaltner.aspx/

I have no idea what he had in mind when he said mobile device...

I wonder how much of that initial vision remains and whether it perhaps was adjusted after the partnership with Huawei.

Just to be clear, I am not looking for the TL3 to turn into phone, I would like to know though what the initial vision was for the T.

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

Some of these notions went through my mind yesterday.

I visited a local museum (see the CL image thread) with my CL, which I normally use with the rear screen in 'Extended EVF' mode i.e. using the EVF only for menus and playback, not for liveview.

Several times I wanted a shot from a position inaccessible with the camera at the eye and was irritated because I had not set up a quick way of switching to LV on the rear screen for arms length shots.

And then I wanted a shot to send to a friend quickly by Whatsapp, so pulled out my phone (Huawei P10 with Leica optics and, perhaps, interface) for the purpose.

There are certainly many times when I would like a camera with the characteristics of a smartphone but the technical capabilities of a real camera. I suspect that, at present, it is an expensive technical challenge to shoehorn all that we want into a TL2-sized/shaped body: EVF and large rear screen, smartphone, L-mount, fast processor for fast AF, heat dissipation, battery capacity............

Hence we have three devices where we will probably have one sometime in the future.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Somehow, the idea that my camera with an interchangeable lens system will somehow morph into also being my phone and mobile computer with apps, games, and such.....Ick. I love the TL design, but don’t want it to do more than be a camera. At most, maybe a photo editing software app built in. But my phone too? Nope.

• Like 1

Only SL, M10, amd TL are shown in this video. No CL, no Q, no X.

He mentioned the compact cameras are declining, this may explain why Q and X did not show up.

He mentioned the oomportance of TL, so it ruled out to substitue TL with CL.

But, is CL just a temperary solution for the up coming TL with EVF?

He mentioned it takes multiple solutions to satisfy the wide range of customers. I can see CL and TL represent different user interface: a classical one (CL), and a fashionable one (TL). Otherwise, there is no other functionality difference that CL can do but TL cant, or vise versa. But will it really make a stronger Leica to have both TL3 with EVF and CL2 instead of only TL3? I assume consolidate TL and CL into one unified line would reduce the cost.

I'm sure you mean the Apple I

attachicon.gif300px-Apple_I_Computer.jpg

*On display in the Smithsonian.

Amusing. In my imoression, the colored Mac was the beginning of the Apple Fashion movemen, but it really become a fadhion wHen Apple adverstize the Apple music player on a dancing (or jogging) girl. Iphone inherit the music player as its extension, at least in the beginning.