Why is MF 'better' than 35mm?

retcheto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the Fuji slide films will go away unfortunately (myself also shooting Provia and Velvia films in 135 and 120 formats). IMO the digital "medium-format" is not really comparable to film based medium format of 6x4.5, 6x6, or 6x7 for example. The digital MF sensor is just a bit larger than a FF sensor - I personally don't see much benefit here for the increased price for such camera. Alternatively if going digital, have also a look at the Fuji GFX 50S camera.

If I were you, I would change my 4x5 films and move to color negative films instead, for example Porta or Ektar. At some point you might be able to use Ektachrome - whenever Kodak releases it also in 4x5.

Martin after shooting 100 megapixel Hassy Ive stopped shooting LF film........ there’s no comparison

Neil

Martin after shooting 100 megapixel Hassy Ive stopped shooting LF film........ there’s no comparison

Neil

Perhaps that is true, Neil. 

But where is the picture of admiring young lovelies lined up behind your fancy-ass Hassy?

Edited by Deliberate1
  • Like 1

Another option is a technical camera with a digital back. I just got an X1D and I’m thinking of getting the Cambo Actus view camera set up for it, to get the movements. I’m not sure if they offer something for the Leica S.

Currently I am shooting with a 4x5 camera and three lens set up for my serious landscape work, an M10 & MP do everything else. I shoot Fuji Velvia and Provia exclusively and I have heard murmurs of them ceasing production of Velvia and Provia very soon, as heartbreaking as that is to me...

Anyway, I am looking for a digital alternative and I am leaning towards the S with a 30-90 Vario Elmar which will cover my three focal lengths nicely. I will surely miss the movements of the 4x5 camera when slide film is no longer produced for it, but the trade off will be a weather sealed, one lens solution. I am half considering an SL but I just don't think it will satisfy me after shooting LF film. I like a printed image, incredible detail and the aspect ratio of (4x5) & the MF sensor over the more elongated aspect ratio of 35mm cameras.

Thoughts?

Two years ago I also was looking for an alternative to 4x5 view camera. My reason was for weatherproofing. I go on photo shoots that require travel, among which are ventures into the mountains. In many cases, I could not use the view camera because of high winds and/or rain/snow. I also used three lenses with the view camera. I decided to try out the S with one lens (70mm). I was so impressed with the results with the S that I added three more lenses (24, 30, 180) for a total of four Leica lenses and am in the process of adding a 300mm Pentax as well.

I have compared prints side by side with the view camera (Tmax100), S, M-P 240 and Monochrom 246, using lenses with similar, but not exact, field of view. I would say that no one would be able to identify which is the view camera print and which is the S print. Image size is 28cm on the long side. All prints are on Ilford photographic paper. I did the view camera print in the darkroom and had a lab do the other prints from my files.

Feel free to message me if you would like additional information. I do not think you will be disappointed with the S.

Regards,

Jesse

Edited by djmay
  • Like 2

Neil

Again - film is a different medium than digital. One is not better than the other, they are just different. It is only personal preference which kind of look we desire more - I am vested both in digital and film, and in some situations I prefer film over digital, in others vice-versa. If you refer to the Hasselblad H6D‑100c, I am sure it will provide you with fantastic resolution which you might not be able to get from film. But it still doesn't make large format film photos look "bad" - the outcome is just different (many other factors include which kind of lens is used for each setup, usage of filters etc). Also, can you do the same tilt/shift movements with your Hassy which a 4x5 camera can do? 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 1

Again - film is a different medium than digital. One is not better than the other, they are just different. It is only personal preference which kind of look we desire more - I am vested both in digital and film, and in some situations I prefer film over digital, in others vice-versa. If you refer to the Hasselblad H6D‑100c, I am sure it will provide you with fantastic resolution which you might not be able to get from film. But it still doesn't make large format film photos look "bad" - the outcome is just different (many other factors include which kind of lens is used for each setup, usage of filters etc). Also, can you do the same tilt/shift movements with your Hassy which a 4x5 camera can do?

Again

After shooting my H6D100c I have stopped shooting LF film. I didn’t mention any of the stuff you wrot above I just said that I have stopped shooting LF since shooting my Hassy as ther is no comparison........... it’s a personal choice

Neil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the Fuji slide films will go away unfortunately (myself also shooting Provia and Velvia films in 135 and 120 formats). IMO the digital "medium-format" is not really comparable to film based medium format of 6x4.5, 6x6, or 6x7 for example. The digital MF sensor is just a bit larger than a FF sensor - I personally don't see much benefit here for the increased price for such camera. Alternatively if going digital, have also a look at the Fuji GFX 50S camera. 

If I were you, I would change my 4x5 films and move to color negative films instead, for example Porta or Ektar. At some point you might be able to use Ektachrome - whenever Kodak releases it also in 4x5. 

There are always compromises, I have shot a little colour neg (Portra & Ektar) & I certainly need more experience with it because I can't get the depth of colour and saturation that slide film gives me in post. There is something about holding that sheet of slide film up to the light also, but that aside the most important thing is the final print... A UK photographer (Paul Wakefield) certainly gets amazing results from his colour neg and slide 4x5 and I would struggle to tell which is which. So some practice with colour neg might just get me there in time... I am also hoping that the re-release of Ektachrome will see a 4x5 variant, that could be a long time coming though. 

I have considered the GFX, and also an Actus with a P1 or Hassy back, the digital backs would be a bit vulnerable in the places I like to photograph though.

A Pentax 645z would be nice, but the sheer size and weight would be comparable to the 4x5 kit.

Hence a Leica S, the lenses, the weather sealing and perhaps three primes if the 30-90 is a bit dubious in the corners...

• Like 1

Hence a Leica S, the lenses, the weather sealing and perhaps three primes if the 30-90 is a bit dubious in the corners...

if you go for the S you won’t be disappointed

Again

After shooting my H6D100c I have stopped shooting LF film. I didn’t mention any of the stuff you wrot above I just said that I have stopped shooting LF since shooting my Hassy as ther is no comparison........... it’s a personal choice

Neil

Agreed that it is a personal choice, I never questioned this. But I would like you to elaborate what you mean with comparison exactly if you say that my previous post is not including what it might contain? Comparison in what exactly - please clarify. 

Two years ago I also was looking for an alternative to 4x5 view camera. My reason was for weatherproofing. I go on photo shoots that require travel, among which are ventures into the mountains. In many cases, I could not use the view camera because of high winds and/or rain/snow. I also used three lenses with the view camera. I decided to try out the S with one lens (70mm). I was so impressed with the results with the S that I added three more lenses (24, 30, 180) for a total of four Leica lenses and am in the process of adding a 300mm Pentax as well.

I have compared prints side by side with the view camera (Tmax100), S, M-P 240 and Monochrom 246, using lenses with similar, but not exact, field of view. I would say that no one would be able to identify which is the view camera print and which is the S print. Image size is 28cm on the long side. All prints are on Ilford photographic paper. I did the view camera print in the darkroom and had a lab do the other prints from my files.

Feel free to message me if you would like additional information. I do not think you will be disappointed with the S.

Regards,

Jesse

Interesting & good to know. I am also considering the 5DSR for access to the 24, 50 and 90mm TS-E lenses which could be a fairly robust kit and I wouldn't be so paranoid about putting it through it's paces in harsh environments. The aspect ratio is not preferable, though the upside is the cost/bang for buck. If only I could walk into a gallery and see comparisons between 4x5, a 5DSR and the S in 24x30" prints or beyond...

Neil

I agree with you on the comparison part. I find 4x5 can barely compete in terms details to a 80meg CCD Dalsa Chip, not to mention the 100mp 15 stop DR Sony sensor. However, the larger film plane also mean that you get better compression of perspective view as the lens you use will be a lot longer and you still get the same field of view (150mm is a normal lens for 4x5, and 80mm is a normal lens for 645). Hence I think in terms of looks (not detail and resolution), I think LF still pretty much look better....

If you want to really be able to do better than a high pixel count DB in terms of resolution, you need to go to 8x10, then it's really no comparison for the DB....

But all these is on the assumption that everything is scanned by at least a Hassy X5 scanner.... at 80meg resolution...

Edited by xiaubauu2009

why not try the GFX 50 ?

https://www.flickr.com/groups/g-mount/pool/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/fuji-gf-lenses/pool/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/fujifilm_gfx/pool/

Interesting & good to know. I am also considering the 5DSR for access to the 24, 50 and 90mm TS-E lenses which could be a fairly robust kit and I wouldn't be so paranoid about putting it through it's paces in harsh environments. The aspect ratio is not preferable, though the upside is the cost/bang for buck. If only I could walk into a gallery and see comparisons between 4x5, a 5DSR and the S in 24x30" prints or beyond...

Edited by frame-it

Also on the radar, definitely...

Some example with the TSE 24 and TSE 17, all full electronic control available with adaptor... Focus peaking is extremely useful for manual focus lens.

35090443295_e5a9d5ea45_h.jpg

TSE 24

33624146264_ae499accc5_h.jpg

TSE 17 3 image stitched... Edge IQ is horrible, but hey, you can't get this kind of view with any other lens on a medium format....

Gotta love those velvia colors....

• Like 3

Some example with the TSE 24 and TSE 17, all full electronic control available with adaptor... Focus peaking is extremely useful for manual focus lens.

TSE 24

TSE 17 3 image stitched... Edge IQ is horrible, but hey, you can't get this kind of view with any other lens on a medium format....

Do you have aperture control via the adaptor? I have read in places that the adaptors won't change apertures that's all, might only have been one type...

Edited by ChasMP

Do you have aperture control via the adaptor? I have read in places that the adaptors won't change apertures that's all, might only have been one type...

there's 3 brand I know that can change aperture, I adaptor all sort of EF lens on the GFX.

Steelsring, Kipon and Techart all has full electronic control. I have tried Techart and Steelsring, decided to keep the Steelsring, for a. more stable, b. cheaper, and c, smaller....

the aperture control is via camera, i.e. operate like a native lens.... totally seamless

Edited by xiaubauu2009
  • Like 2

Agreed that it is a personal choice, I never questioned this. But I would like you to elaborate what you mean with comparison exactly if you say that my previous post is not including what it might contain? Comparison in what exactly - please clarify. 

Why have I stopped shooting LF (Both 8x10 and 4x5).......mainly because its a PITA lugging all that gear around, and then having to wait to get the end result. With my S007 and now my H6D100c I get instant results.........shoot spend 5 minutes in PScc and print.......If you know anything about LF photography then there is no need to explain the beauty of digital over film with regards to ease of use.

All of the above is a choice, there will be days when I will go out and shoot some street photography or a pretty girl with my 8x10 Chamonix, but again since getting the H6D I haven't done so yet

Neil

TSE 24

I would love to know the location you shot that pictures of the towers ??

Neil

Perhaps that is true, Neil. 

But where is the picture of admiring young lovelies lined up behind your fancy-ass Hassy?

Shit.....I thought it was ME that they were interested in :) :) 

I would love to know the location you shot that pictures of the towers ??

Neil

Traders Hotel 31or 32 floor, on the pool deck bar... order a drink at about 5pm and get one of the seat by the semi enclosed window. When the time come around 7pm, you can shoot over the window and use the ledge for support.... suggestion is to use at least a 24mm lens unless you want to do a lot of post perspective correction. also, you can also use a small table top tripod, provided that they don't see you.