Hard Cases

paulsydaus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having been to the Arctic and Antarctic multiple times, I would not keep a Billingham in the zodiac...

I have waterproof bags that safely hold my 007s and depending on the conditions, will keep both cameras in the bags until the zodiac comes to a halt. On gentler days, the camera can be protected by a waterproof cover from the mist...

Again, this advice is for a 007 which is sealed.

As for an M, must be exceedingly vigilant and lucky..

Albert  :D  :D  :D

Albert, I respect your opinion based on extensive experience in those areas.

I have only been to Antarctica once, as I allude earlier in this thread. I must say that in my limited experience, the Billingham was a winner in all weather and physical locations. It proved to be versatile in handling, completely weatherproof in snowstorms and easily accessed during extended Zodiac sorties. Other photographers with me struggled with their equipment and bags and frequently didn't make it to the tops of climbs. One photographer actually dropped his backpack overboard prior to descending the boarding ladder. (It landed in the Zodiac). I didn't feel lucky, but simply calculated. The ability to swing the bag from front to back etc was a great advantage, especially when boarding the ship from the Zodiac. I might add that I was impressed with my three M cameras performance too. My only problem was, with the M9, viewing the LCD wearing dark glasses it was difficult to accurately assess the screen representation.

Somewhere, I have a pic of me wearing the Billingham and shooting the M8 in a blizzard. If I can find it soon, I will post it.

Edit: Found the pic as follows.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Problem is, in my case, the airline insisted on checking the gear. I had no choice. That's what insurance is for. Of course in the worst case scenario, insurance does not help if you are boarding to fulfil an assignment, or go on holiday.

Ever since, I have kept my camera gear well within overhead locker requirements. What does annoy me is the number of 'tourists' with bags that are too large for carry on, but insist on trying to squeeze them into the lockers.

I have a Pelican 1510 wheeled hard case that is specifically sized to give maximum space for camera gear while meeting the carry on size restrictions for the major airlines.  I have not yet used it to fly with my camera gear, but it is the same size as my Lowe Pro roller that I have taken aboard numerous airline jets in the past without incident. 

Smaller commuter aircraft or puddle jumpers such as the planes that go from New Bedford, MA to Martha's Vineyard are another story, though.  Always find out the type of aircraft you will be flying on beforehand and the carry on size limits for that particular aircraft.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1