Auto lens detection not working.

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Selecting auto lens detect from the menu does nothing. I’ve reset the camera and also pulled the battery but still not functioning correctly. All other options such as manual, R lenses and off work. I’ve got the 24 Elmer ASPH but that lens is unavailable from the manual menu.

This is a problem with some M10's. Is it doing this out of the box? If so I would take it straight back to the dealer and exchange it. 

I had to send my back to New Jersey twice to get it fixed (along with other issues). If you've got the latest firmware and have tried a few 6 bit lenses and nothing, it's probably infected. The new 6 bit sensors are super finicky or something, I'm not sure. 

A true headache - minor in theory but if you use different lenses it's really more trouble than it should be. 

Thanks pgh. I’ve had the camera more than a month but have used it only a few times due to work. My MM took 9 months from Leica NJ for sensor replacement so I don’t want to part with the new M10 as I may be going abroad in a few months. How long did Leica NJ take to repair your M10?

I  just tested auto lens detect on all of my factory coded Leica M lenses.

Lenses that the camera detected correctly:

18 Super Elmar ASPH

21 Super Elmar ASPH

21 Summilux  ASPH

28 Elmarit ASPH v.1

28 Summicron ASPH v.1

35 Summilux ASPH pre-FLE

50 Summicron APO ASPH

50 Summilux ASPH

50 Noctilux 1.0

50 Noctilux 0.95 ASPH

75 Summicron ASPH

90 Summicron ASPH

Lenses that did not work

24 Elmar ASPH

35 Summicron ASPH

It seems the auto detect works the great majority of the time so does this give any clue as to a camera or lens fault?  I've cleaned the lens detect window on the camera and the lenses that did not work are either new or lightly used with no discernible wear on the code.

• Like 1

I just tested auto lens detect on all of my factory coded Leica M lenses.

Lenses that the camera detected correctly:

18 Super Elmar ASPH

21 Super Elmar ASPH

21 Summilux ASPH

28 Elmarit ASPH v.1

28 Summicron ASPH v.1

35 Summilux ASPH pre-FLE

50 Summicron APO ASPH

50 Summilux ASPH

50 Noctilux 1.0

50 Noctilux 0.95 ASPH

75 Summicron ASPH

90 Summicron ASPH

Lenses that did not work

24 Elmar ASPH

35 Summicron ASPH

It seems the auto detect works the great majority of the time so does this give any clue as to a camera or lens fault? I've cleaned the lens detect window on the camera and the lenses that did not work are either new or lightly used with no discernible wear on the code.

Take a little piece of Scotchbrite and gently clean the coding on the ones that don’t read and dull the paint a little. Edited by jdlaing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A minor aside - I use Photoshop and its lens correction feature seems to be a well considered feature which does not bother to differentiate subtle differences among, for example, '35mm f:1.4'  lenses. It has just one '35mm F:1.4' option. I cannot know what metrics Adobe applies, but their generic correction fixes modest keystone distortion and in my experience some  contrast issues. Just saying,

Maybe Adobe knows Leica lenses better than Leica does.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

A minor aside - I use Photoshop and its lens correction feature seems to be a well considered feature which does not bother to differentiate subtle differences among, for example, '35mm f:1.4'  lenses. It has just one '35mm F:1.4' option. I cannot know what metrics Adobe applies, but their generic correction fixes modest keystone distortion and in my experience some  contrast issues. Just saying,

Maybe Adobe knows Leica lenses better than Leica does.

Thank you Pico.  I use LR6 for processing all of my photos and regularly apply LR's lens correction for the specific lens.  I just wonder if any lens correction done in camera using the wrong profile can be overridden by the profile used by Adobe in LR.  If not, then I would disable the auto detect function of the M10 for the problematic lenses, if I remember.  I would have to guess this would be more important for the 24 Elmar than for the 35 Summicron.

• Like 1

Assuming its a factory coded version, If you haven't already, try wiping down your mount.  In my experience, no reads and misreads seem to occur as a result of a bit of residue on the sensor.  Last weekend the exif reported my Summilux 50 read as an 18mm SEM.    From the codes, a two bit slip up.  Quick wipe and it detected the lens no problem. 

Edited by Tailwagger

Mine has an issue in which the lens turns past 12 O'Clock and can show the wrong frame-lines. This also affects the six bit recognition of the lens. There are also some rangefinder focus issues. I suspect that all of these issues are inter-related and originate somewhere in the mount area. My M10 will be getting a holiday under warranty in Wetzlar soon. 

Other than these issues, the camera is working perfectly.

William

Mine has an issue in which the lens turns past 12 O'Clock and can show the wrong frame-lines. This also affects the six bit recognition of the lens. There are also some rangefinder focus issues. I suspect that all of these issues are inter-related and originate somewhere in the mount area. My M10 will be getting a holiday under warranty in Wetzlar soon. 

William

Hmmm... interesting.  I have also noted on occasion a problem with my 75MM Summilux where the vertical RF patch is significantly off.  Remounting the lens made it disappear. Wonder if I have a similar problem and had assumed that cleaning the senors was the solution, when in fact it was actually removing and remounting the lens.   

When I had the Summilux 75 it had a habit of loosening it’s mount screws, causing all kinds of problems. Check whether the mount is screwed on tightly.

Thanks Jaapv!  Learned something new. Indeed I can just rock the mount ever so slightly.  Sadly, I can't seem to find an appropriate screw driver at the moment, guess I'll have to order something. 

William

Turning a lens past „12o‘ clock“ will trigger different frames and will cause the lenses six-bit-code to be not at the right position for the little sensor to read it - so automatic lens correction cannot work. This has nothing to do with a bug in the camera‘s electronics for lens detection.

At the same time the new function of automatic override of a manual lens code which was introduced with the M10 seems to be oversensitive which leads to misfunction if something is not completely as the camera expects it to be.

Leica has been informed about this issue for more than a year now. I was only told that they would forward my description of some faulty behavior to the department which develops the camera. I am not sure if this can solved by firmware, older firmware versions show the same behavior, so there is no use to go back to them.

Perhaps a solution could be that one might switch off the override function of automatic detection to avoid it‘s strange behavior in some cases. At the moment this is not possible but wozld need a new firmware, Though this would not help for lenses which have no manual code, i.e. the newer ones.

My recommendation would be to report the cases to Leica, be it only to instigate their willingness to do something.

Thanks Jaapv!  Learned something new. Indeed I can just rock the mount ever so slightly.  Sadly, I can't seem to find an appropriate screw driver at the moment, guess I'll have to order something. 

If you can, swing over to Ace Hardware and bring the lens with you. Absolutely proper fit is important and if Ace doesn't have it, it doesn't exist. :)

WHIA brand set, made in Germany are my favorite for small fasteners.

• Like 1

The coding on my Elmarit 24 is clean and there is no looseness or over-rotation when mounted on the M10. I believe the 6-bit code is being read but the firmware is not recognizing this code. Did Leica forget this lens in the firmware? Does anyone have the Elmarit 24 that is being detected properly on the M10?

BTW it is auto detected by my Monochrom. 

Edited by colorflow

The clue is in the name, the lens release button is for releasing lenses, not mounting lenses. 

If the lens has snapped into place the code 'should' work, if it has been over-rotated the code possibly won't work (I've tested it myself before and the camera still picked up the code even after I'd intentionally over-rotated the lens, but it may not always be so). So as regards the camera not picking up the code after the lens has snapped into place check for differences between the paint, matt or shiny, black or both black and white infill, and check it is even the correct code, especially if it has been serviced in the past. 

If the lens flange screw are lose the code would still work if it has been snapped into place, the mount would still be in the correct position. Lose flange screws are usually the culprit in the focus ring becoming notchy or stiff, so to re-centre the lens on the flange loosen all the screws and gradually tighten them opposite to opposite, nine times out of ten this cures a stiff focus ring. It is a simple job! It should be noted that the lens flange can still appear to be tight after the screws have in fact loosened, this is because in mounting the lens the flange rotates a fraction and the countersink of the screw hole wedges itself tight again against the underside of the screw head.

• Like 1

One can over-rotate without noticing if one depresses the release button when mounting the lens.

You could have a point there Jaap. As an experienced user, I don't keep the button pressed, but what if the release button was sticking? I had thought that it could be the device for the frame line lever on the other side of the mount, but it could be the release button. I'll leave it to the good folks at Wetzlar to determine the cause. Otherwise the camera is working perfectly and I am largely getting excellent photos out of it.

Addendum: I have just tried lens removal and it will rotate off without pressing the release button. A friend in London appears to have the same issue.

William

Edited by willeica