Loose fit in M10 hot shoe

erl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All my auxillary finders and the plastic dummy that lives in the shoe on my M10 are a loose fit. The same objects fit snugly in all my other M cameras.

I am (not really) tempted to tap the two shoulders to tighten them, but of course I don't want to tempt the RF to be shocked out of accuracy. Any suggestions, short of returning to Leica for adjustment?

Nothing has fallen out of the shoe yet, but I am fearful of the possibility.

All my auxillary finders and the plastic dummy that lives in the shoe on my M10 are a loose fit. The same objects fit snugly in all my other M cameras.

I am (not really) tempted to tap the two shoulders to tighten them, but of course I don't want to tempt the RF to be shocked out of accuracy. Any suggestions, short of returning to Leica for adjustment?

Nothing has fallen out of the shoe yet, but I am fearful of the possibility.

you can tighten the spring using a small jewelers screwdriver just lift the tension springs,  the plastic cover was falling off so I simply tighten the spring

• Like 5

you can tighten the spring using a small jewelers screwdriver just lift the tension springs,  the plastic cover was falling off so I simply tighten the spring

Aha! Great tip.

Since I have just (yesterday) returned from cataract surgery, I can actually see the spring.

Works well now. Thank you Tony.

(Used my Swiss Army Knife to do the job.) :D

• Like 2

Aha! Great tip.

Since I have just (yesterday) returned from cataract surgery, I can actually see the spring.

Can you please provide illustration which screws in the hot shoe need working on to regulate tightness of the spring, tia.

Can you please provide illustration which screws in the hot shoe need working on to regulate tightness of the spring, tia.

No screws, just look under the two 'flanges' of the shoe, and you will see thin metal strips coming up from the bottom of the shoe, running from front to back.  Just carefully bend these upward a bit by slipping something thin and narrow (a jeweler's screwdriver, or in Erl's case a Swiss Army knife!) under the strip and carefully lift up a bit at a time.

Edited by RonM
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No screws, just look under the two 'flanges' of the shoe, and you will see thin metal strips coming up from the bottom of the shoe, running from front to back.  Just carefully bend these upward a bit by slipping something thin and narrow (a jeweler's screwdriver, or in Erl's case a Swiss Army knife!) under the strip and carefully lift up a bit at a time.

Thanks for the advice, although not meant for me. Nevertheless it works, I did it this afternoon. It’s bloody simple.

Would leaving in the factory supplied cover on dampen the pressure over time that these strips exert as it flattens the strips.   Since I don't use the M in harsh weather, I leave mine off so as when I do use a finder, that function is not compromised.

Would leaving in the factory supplied cover on dampen the pressure over time that these strips exert as it flattens the strips.   Since I don't use the M in harsh weather, I leave mine off so as when I do use a finder, that function is not compromised.

I doubt it. My springs were 'slack' from day one with the plastic cover in place, when delivered. I still keep it fitted as it forms part of the weather proofing I understand. Leaving it out in 'normal' weather is not a problem if you prefer. It is the sort of device that will be easily lost IMO.

• Like 1

Have tweaked mine a few times - just goes back to being slack again. Needs a stiffer material to work reliably over time. I'm going to look at putting something thin (probably plastic shimming) under the springs and see if that works better. Not too worried about the plastic cover, however optical shoe-mount viewfinders are not cheap if you lose one!

Edited by PCPix
  • Like 1

Thank you, actually I don’t have M10 but this is applicable to other M cameras.

• 2 weeks later...

<snip>  Not too worried about the plastic cover, however optical shoe-mount viewfinders are not cheap if you lose one!

Everything is relative. When I lost my hot-shoe cover (it accidentally fell down a rock crevice) it cost £40 to replace... :(

Ah well, a future archaeologist or even a geologist may ponder its use...

• Like 1

Everything is relative. When I lost my hot-shoe cover (it accidentally fell down a rock crevice) it cost £40 to replace... :(

Ah well, a future archaeologist or even a geologist may ponder its use...

This can't be serious!

Unfortunately, I am sure it is. :(

This sort of reminds me of the Hasselblad darkslide. Most Blad user's I knew always carried a spare. With that security they were always losing them!

I never had (still don't) a spare, and consequently over nearly sixty years I never lost one. Have always had "absolute" rules about where I put any camera gear. Either in/on the camera, in the camera bag, or in my pocket. NEVER anywhere else. As I understood it, the Blad darkslide was worth about $2. I bet it's a bit more now.

Aha! Great tip.

Would that be a certain large, black Swiss army knife by any chance?  If so I'm glad it's come in handy. 

Certain compasses work well if one remembers to turn the map upside down.

Pete. :D

Edited by farnz

Would that be a certain large, black Swiss army knife by any chance?  If so I'm glad it's come in handy. 

Certain compasses work well if one remembers to turn the map upside down.

Pete. :D

Pete.

Bloody hell Pete! You are soooo on the money. every time I pull that knife out out, I think, Which way is it pointing. Up or down.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Amazing tip. Thank you! I thought I lost my M10 hot shoe cover again today while using the camera at an event. Luckily after the crowds left the area, I decided to go back to see if I could find it.  I looked down around the stage area where I was positioned during the last few shots and sure enough there was my little M10 hot shoe cover wedged between two bricks in the road and viola happy ending, nearly. I was about to buy another hot shoe cover that might provide a more sung fit when I decided to Google and see if others might have experienced the same issue when I found your comment on this forum. I followed your tip and am back in business. In my case, I think the culprit is my flash. For my work I have to use flash ( I know, I know this will bring a frown to some Leica Rangefinder purists but I don't have a choice) But now that I understand about these two little metal spring strips in the hot shoe, it is clear to me that the flash mounting foot will push these down and cause the hot shoe cover to slip out with very little encouragement. Lesson learned and now my little jewler's screw has become a permenant member of my bag along side my Gaffers tape. 

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Could somebody explain this one to me like I'm 5? I see a screw there, but I don't know what "springs" are being referenced.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 4/14/2018 at 3:01 PM, RonM said:

If this is not clear, I can't help much .

Astrostl,

in your illustration, we can't see the springs as they are under (at right "a couple of millimeters under LEICA M10"):

look at the flat " very flat inverted U " = that are springs on each side = which push up to be bent "less flatter" the "flat springs".

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by a.noctilux

The springs are actually the thin strips of metal under the shoe's flanges, as indicated in a.noctilux' label above.  Look under the "Leica M10" flange for a thin strip of metal that should be slightly 'bent' upward to increase its pressure on the shoe's flange. Same on the other flange at the left, hidden by the hand.

Edited by RonM
spelling correction!